for All That Is Left

3/6/2012 c29 7TrapperII
"Matthew sat in the nursery, and Mary with him, while the children all fell asleep to the soft, low lilt of their Papa's voice reciting The Night Before Christmas to them all in the shadowy lamplight."

That filled me with warm fuzzies and an "all is right in the world" kind of feeling :)

First comment: massage at the beginning of the chapter = hot. We got a shower scene; now we get a massage with oils. LOL. I loved it!

I really liked how you wove the Robert/Mary scene and the Matthew/Carlisle fight into this chapter. I wondered what you would do with the proposal scene, and I am not at all disappointed with the way you handled it. Lovely!

Oh, I also loved when Mabel got her pony. I can envision a fluffy little ficlet where Mary gives her a lesson while Matthew and the other kids look on.
3/6/2012 c29 darkblueyank
A wonderful job of fitting all the best CS bits into your ATiL. It will be sad to see your story come to an end... looking forward to S3.
3/6/2012 c29 29Lia06
I love it. I really love how you still managed to weave Lavinia into this just a little. And Edith as lady of the abbey-perfect. And Matthew attacking Carlisle...divine!

I love it, again. I'll be sad to see this end but all good things must come to an end. Thanks ever so much for sharing this with us.
3/6/2012 c28 Fran
Are you ever going to update? You've just left this story alone now?
3/2/2012 c28 BeAPotterhead
Okay. Proper review now. This fic has kept me going for about a week now, and I've loved every minute of it. The way the chapters correspond so well with the episodes and yet are completely AU never fails to amaze me. Your writing is just absolutely stunning, I reckon we have a Julian Fellowes in the making here! I can't believe there's only the Christmas episode chapter and epilogue left.:( Thank you so much for writing this fic! MATTHEW AND MARY UNTIL THE VERY END!
3/2/2012 c27 BeAPotterhead
WHY KILL CORA?:o this story is so so beautiful and brilliant and I'm so glad there is one more chapter I can read. I was going to save it for tomorrow but I actually don't think I can wait that long.
3/1/2012 c28 18Chickwriter
Love that it's a boy- love how you revealed that so beautifully (good heavens I LOVE Mabel. Some days I might love her more than Lily :D) I love Matthew's worry and how it makes the process so beautiful again to Mary. Also love that method of getting the party started...

But most of all, I love that "oh pipe down" LIVES!
2/27/2012 c28 smndolphin
Go away for a weekend and come back for such a pleasant surprise :). Many tears again this chapter, but this time mostly happy ones! So glad Matthew stayed for the delivery ... especially inadvertently following one of Clarkson's "suggestions". Wasn't sure if it'd be a third girl or a boy, but wasn't surprised you gave them a boy and absolutely loved how Matthew went to the house to tell everyone in person. By now you know how much I love the Matthew/Robert scenes and the one of them at the end is now topping the list of favorites. Again, it was very easy to visualize the actors performing this, Matthew's shining happiness and Robert's moment of hesitation before following his heart and embracing the closest his heart has to a son and Matthew excepting it(at least right now, I'm hoping he and Tom can eventually come to such a place, but it is something that will take a lot of time). Given that we should have at least some good M/M scenes (it can't be all angst!) in S3, I hope we see scenes similar to what you've given us because it will be very hard for Fellowes and co. to topped the married life you've given M/M, with all of their obstacles.

Thank you again for your hard work :). Can't wait to see how you take on the Christmas Special (hopefully somehow they'll be twirling outside in the snow) and will be sad to see this story end, but will look forward to seeing whatever comes next!
2/27/2012 c28 8La Donna Ingenua
I think this was the first DA fanfiction I ever read and it remains one of my favorites. I know you're finishing up but I will be so sad to see it end. But I look forward to whatever you write.
2/26/2012 c28 157gifts
I had tears in my eyes when Robert said ""Oh, my dear boy. My very… very, dear boy. Congratulations.""; I could just imagine his elation.

This story is very well done with excellent characterisations, I really wish your Season 2 story line is what happened in canon.

Your writing captures the moment beautifully and has a way of bringing things to life.

Brava and kudos!
2/25/2012 c28 Scarlet Slippers
Yay! Everything I ever wanted from Mary and Matthew having a baby. I wanted so badly for Matthew to be there for it, and of course it was so true to Mary to give Clarkson a what for and demand Matthew be present.

All of it was beautiful, from Daddy!Matthew in the beginning with his girls, to Mary needing him in the absence of her mother, and of course, Matthew's tears at hearing the baby's first cry.

I love that you drew out the anticipation of the baby, although I was reading as fast as I could going Boy or Girl!

And Bobby - so cute and perfect. That Matthew/Robert moment made me feel like they could finally put everything behind them. I can't wait to see the CS!
2/25/2012 c28 1OnlyALouse
I was reading this on my phone late last night in a swimming pool changing room, no less. I got home from orchestra and then had to go straight to swimming, all knowing that I had an update of ATiL ready! It made swimming go SO MUCH SLOWER! (though actually I was swimming much faster than usual) Eventually after an hour and a quarter of swimming I was able to read it, though I did so wrapped in my towel! Thats how excited I was to know what happened!

I got so absorbed that I completely forgot I was in a changing room, and made lots of small (actually rather loud) exclaimations that caused the other people in swimming club to look at me rather oddly. Especially when I shouted 'YESS!' and danced around the room.. That was quite embarrasing really.

I'm ever so sorry, you probably didn't want to know my life story.. But since you asked in your last reply, I have an offer from Cambridge to study Land Economy (Law, Economics, Environment) so I really should be writing my essays etc, but I cant! Not when there have been fic updates! Procrastination FTW!

As you could probably tell, I absolutely LOVED it, thought it was FLAWLESS and was SO SO HAPPY that FINALLY they had some HAPPINESS!

In all honesty, that all I have to say. Your characterisation was perfect and I just loved Mary laying down the law over Clarkson. And that end scene was so beautiful, it made my heart ache. You have done it again and I just have no words. Wow.

I'm so sad its going to end! :(

Alice x
2/24/2012 c28 crankygrrl 2.0
"Oh, pipe down!"

I love it when Lady Mary lays down the law. I have to admit, I'm in the camp that believes Clarkson should be struck off. Paternalistic twit.

Glad to see such a moment on happiness but I still can't believe you killed Cora! Ah, well. Here's to Robert Crawley II.
2/24/2012 c28 7TrapperII
I always love your interim chapters and this one is no exception! So many delightful parts:

-Matthew and Clarkson's awkward conversation

-Matthew putting Clarkson's advice into practice :)

-Mary insisting that Matthew be present for the birth

-The suspense about the baby's sex (I knew it had to be a boy though - huzzah!)

-The very appropriate name

My favorite part, however, was this: "Oh, pipe down," she hissed at the doctor, who blustered at her expression.

I adore when Mary tells Branson to pipe down, and I found the phrase's application here to be equally delightful.
2/24/2012 c28 52TheSingingGirl
As a modern feminist, I can't help but feel uncomfortable with the birth of a son making everything better. I don't know, it just makes me cringe a little bit. But it's period appropriate, so I'll shush.

Also, you killed Cora! Good decision really; if any character could afford to die, it was probably Cora. Oh, I'm heartless, but it's kind of true. What storyline did she have in the second series? Whilst Mary was being blackmailed into marriage, Edith was experiencing love/desire for the first time and even Mr. Lang was dealing with shell shock, Cora just got a bit annoyed with Isobel. It's not much of a character arc. She didn't even get to react to Sybil/Tom until the Christmas special.

(At this point it should be noted that I failed to even read last chapter when it actually came out, which is why Cora's death is only now being dealt with. Oops. Sorry.)

I quite like Matthew staying for the birth, mainly for Mary's line "he'll damn well not miss this!" And you got a "oh, pipe down" in there! One thing I will say, though, is that I'm not sure "I reckon" is very 1910s. I say that in the most dubious of tones, because I don't have any evidence, but it feels quite modern and - dare one say it - even a bit of an Americanism to me. Am I wrong? Oh, just looked it up - apparently it's become more American than British, but used to be in fairly ubiquitous literary use. You're right! Ignore me!

Anyway, I look forward to the CS, though I do wonder what you'll do with it given that it was largely Bates' trial and M/M/Richard. I suppose I shall have to wait to find out!

TSG