for All That Is Left

7/3/2012 c16 matrim cuthon
excellent story .thank u
5/30/2012 c30 Keriannerae
Thank you ever so much for this story. I have read it through three times since I stumbled across it two weeks ago. I am a recent convert to Downton, and I have turned to quality fanfiction to fill the gap until series 3 starts. I love every one of your M/M fics, and all I can say is please keep writing them. You capture them perfectly, no matter the story you have chosen to write.
5/17/2012 c30 4Scribbling Death
Absolutely lovely. :)

I read it before I actually finished off season 2, so I never realized until re-reading it how much you managed to incorporate what was actually said in the series - making it so much more realistic - into the story to make it seem natural. It was wonderfully done, and this is definitely the best Mary/Matthew long-length fic that I've read. Thank you so much for it, too! I'm sad to see it ended.
5/13/2012 c30 nadstar3
Such a beautiful story. I love the idea of shadowing the season but AU. Thank you for sharing.
5/9/2012 c14 nadstar3
Amazing chapter -the mirroring was very effective ... you write with incredible feeling. The suspense was almost unbearable ... nicely done
5/7/2012 c10 nadstar3
I love the letters. Their angst is palpable. This wonderful couple deserves to be together !
5/7/2012 c9 nadstar3
I live this story so much. I recently got into downton abbey and watched both seasons on DVD. Yours is one of the first FICs I've read and it's absolutely lovely. Can't wait to read more.
5/3/2012 c30 GenuineRisk
Wow! I have such a love- hate relationship when i stumble onto fics that are complete, multi-chaptered, and well written! I love them for the reasons I just listed, but I hate them because I can't get a thing done until I finish reading it! ;) I'm new to Downton Abbey fan fiction, but this was great! Emotional, and I loved how you tried to reflect the canon episodes in your AU world. Well done! Looking forward to reading more of your work! :)
5/2/2012 c30 cforlani
My goodness. I am speechless with shock and joy. I didn't think I would find fan fic for M&M that was so captivating and real. I know this is a totally artless review but this is my sixty-second-after-finishing gut reaction. I will write in more detail later, but for now suffice it to say that a) you are extremely talented and b) thank you so very much!
4/29/2012 c14 8everyhazyday
Loved loved loved the mirroring in Chap 14. I usually don't review until I am done with the story but I couldn't help myself. It was so good.
4/26/2012 c30 1cowherderess
I've just found your story, and read it all today, I couldn't stop! It's an interesting idea and it worked out wonderfully. I love how it's so different, with M & M married with children, but with so much from canon series 2 woven in (even Matthew punching Sir Richard Carlisle!). Mary and Matthew are written very well, and everyone else. Mabel and Catherine are so cute! Brava :)
4/26/2012 c30 Downtonjunkie
I'm afraid this is rather late but I have just finished re-reading all chapters. This has been such a terrific story, quite believable and I can picture it in my mind's eye, as if it were being played out on TV, had DA been an on-going weekly series. I think you really capture the characters so well and not only M & M, which you are exceedingly good at.

I feel the DA story should turn into a trilogy, as with WW2 only 20 years away, their children would be involved and then of course there's the aftermath whereby death duties and taxes put pay to many of the old estates, but I'm sure JF won't want to go down this route.

As your characterisations of M & M are so good, if you are looking for future story lines how about covering the period from Lavina's funeral up to and including the CS. How, after the funeral M & M managed to move on and rebuild a friendship and also looking on from Isobel's POV, what transpired between M and I.
3/24/2012 c10 Sugarnsoul
Finally! My first bit of feedback for this story. I was going to save it until I got further into the story but Chapter 9 and 10 really touched me. I'm in love with your version of Mary and Isobel's relationship. I've not fleshed it out enough in my own head canon to really consider how they would get along. The image of pushy Isobel from S2 has kept me from seeing the sweet mothering, yet practical side of her from S1. I loved the section where Mary goes to Crawley House to discuss her situation with Isobel. That last bit of prose was absolutely beautiful. As I read that section, it didn't even occur to me that they would have similar emotional experiences, but the bit at the end with Mary missing Matthew and feeling closer to him with the child inside her being similar to Isobel having Matthew to remind her of the loving relationship she had with her husband was simply amazing.

Chapter 10 was pure perfection in that we finally got a chance to see inside Matthew's head and how the war felt for him as he experienced it. Makes me wonder if he did share those experiences with Lavinia through letters in S2. Yet, remembering how he shut down when Mary asked him what it was like in 2.01 01 is evidence that he probably didn't speak about it much. I'd like to think that those quiet conversations he was having with Mary in the corner of the drawing room or the library while Richard and Lavinia looked on were partially about his war experiences. In any case, I loved the letters because those show a much more personal, intimate relationship between them than what we would see in regular conversation. And thank you for including the lovely bit of WWI history with the story of the soldiers ceasing fire and singing Christmas carols. It always reminds me of the great human toll that was experienced in that war and just how brutal it was for those mostly young men. And just as Matthew says, regardless of what side they were fighting on, they were just men. Just men trying to do their best and survive.
3/22/2012 c1 didyouhaveagoodtime
*_*

That was AMAZING! I'm in awe, really. I've been reading this fic for several weeks now, the entire concept of Mary going after Matthew and them going through season two togheter as a married couple so compelling. And it was a beautiful ride indeed, everything is just so heartfelt, so true. I especially loved the first chapter after Matthew left for the front, I really enjoyed reading the letters he and Mary wrote to each other, and they remembered me so much of letters from WWII soldiers I read a long time ago in a beautiful book. And oh, when he was wounded, Mary right at his side, as she was in canon, but entitled to be in your fic, as it was meant to be.

And the end was just perfect, so sad, but also hopeful. You really did an amazing job. Thank you so much for sharing this, it goes right into my favorite list :)
3/20/2012 c30 Foxie Roxie
This was an amazing story, I'm so sad to see it end. I look forward to reading more from you! x
680 « Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 .. Last Next »