for Conversations with Ozai

1/26/2013 c10 77Boogum
OH! I was not expecting his bending to return. That was a shocker!

In any case, Ozai actually has a point when he makes those remarks to Katara about her affair with Zuko. Katara was stupid to string Aang along like that instead of just breaking up with him if she loved someone else, just as Zuko was stupid to allow anything to happen while Katara and Aang were still dating. I love those two, don't get me wrong, but this situation never ends well. People will get hurt and upset, but it's even more critical given the political situation going on as well.
1/26/2013 c9 Boogum
Ahhh, I wondered when this was going to happen. I had a feeling Ming was going to develop feelings for Ozai of a sort, or at the very least that he would try to use her to his advantage somehow.

Oh dear. Sokka is digging a hole for Katara and he doesn't even realise it. I feel like clamping a hand over his mouth and saying 'SHUT UP, YOU BLABBERMOUTH!', as I'm sure does Katara, but alas. Sokka will not be silenced.

/Sokka raised a questioning brow in his sister's direction. "What were you doing in Zuko's bedroom?"

She hesitated. "Um….Sewing..."/

Smooth, Katara. Real smooth.

/Ozai stood, dusting the grass and dirt off his clothing, and tossed a smile at the waterbender as he headed in the direction of his room. "You know, this has been very therapeutic. I'm feeling better already…"/

I couldn't help but laugh at that, much as I know the whole fuss that will follow will make me a sad panda for Zuko and Katara (and Aang). But Ozai, scoundrel that is, enjoys the chaos, and I can't help but appreciate his humour.
1/26/2013 c8 Boogum
Hrrrm, I find it hard to believe that Ursa actually stabbed Azulon. Poisoned, maybe, but if she stabbed him it would have been obvious that Azulon had been killed through foul means, which I assume would have made it difficult for Ozai's claim to the throne hold up since that suspicion would be cast on him as well. Then again, Ursa is forced to leave, so perhaps it was known that Azulon was killed through foul means; it's just the will with the labelling of the new heir was already drawn up or ... I dunno. I find this whole situation rather confusing. I'm trying to get my head around what I think happened for one of my own fics, but all I see are glaring holes everywhere with every scenario I come up with, lol.

In any case, you did indeed get across what Ozai was feeling in that scene. He wanted that throne, so he would have done anything to get it, but in turn Ursa was willing to do anything to protect her son. In the end, someone had to be sacrificed to the cause. It makes me wonder if Ozai actually knew what Ursa was planning to do beforehand.

Ozai is in such denial about his feelings fo Azula, and that is very, very fitting. It was never going to be an easy ride for him.
1/26/2013 c7 Boogum
I'm really liking how you're revealing the subtle similiarities between Zuko and Ozai, like how they both lean on the railing in the same way. I really do feel like they are father and son, which is great because you're doing it in such a natural way. Much appreciated.

/And that's when he heard it…a faint muffled sound from beyond the closed door, spoken with a tear strained voice. "Daddy?"/

Oh my gosh. You just killed me with that line. I had a suspicion, but it still just felt like a bombshell of emotion was just dropped, and then you have that deadly hush that follows. Wow. You really have a knack for getting those perfect moments captured through words, and I just loved how you had Ozai react. Simply amazing, and so, so heartbreaking.

Naughty Zuko and Katara were clearly indulging in a secret snogging session. I had to laugh at the fact his robes were on backwards, though I do wonder what they were arguing about, since the 'raised voices' suggests that passionate moment didn't end so well.

/And then there was the fake beard...

"What's up, Jerk?"/

LOL! Somehow I think 'therapist' should be renamed 'torture' for Ozai.

/"And take off that ridiculous beard!"

Sokka scoffed. "Dude, you're one to talk."/

Okay, that one made me glad I wasn't drinking anything. Bahahahaa.

Oooh, and now things are getting serious again. I've always wondered what kind of childhood Ozai could have had. His father wasn't exactly Mr Sunshine, and I have a feeling that Azulon must have favoured Iroh a lot more than Ozai. I also don't find it surprising that you had Ilah kill herself. Mental illness does indeed run in the family, so it wouldn't be surprising that some others in the royal family might have suffered from something.
1/25/2013 c6 Boogum
This review is going to have to be short because I have to go, but I just wanted to say how much I loved this chapter. You're really doing a wonderful job at portraying Ozai and getting across all those subtle hints of feeling without making him stray into OOC territory. I especially like all the little Ozai/Ursa hints.

/"Uncle always says not to give up without a fight." The young man said softly. "I haven't given up on you."/

Loved that line! Just beautiful.

And now I have to go. Until next time!
1/25/2013 c5 Boogum
Sokka's rant made me smile, even though everything he said wasn't exactly cheerful. I could see how awkward that situation would be, and you know Sokka when he's in awkward mode: he talks and talks and talks.

Oh, dear. I don't know how I feel about Katara cheating on Aang with Zuko. At least, I assume she and Aang are together. This is going to make me a sad panda, I just know it.
1/25/2013 c4 Boogum
Fat guards, eh? Can't trust them. It's funny that you always find yourself automatically siding with the prisoner in this situation, regardless of that prisoner's identity. Not that I blame Ozai for having a wee tanty after finding himself stuck with that impatient guard rather than Ming, then being talked to in that way. Gotta be hard to swallow insults after spending a good few years as Fire Lord and the rest as a prince.

/Ozai hardened his features and maintained a defiant glare…and made a silent promise to himself not to scream the way Zuko had when he had taught that all important lesson to his son those many years ago./

Oooh. That's a powerful line right there.

That Ozai/Ursa scene was intense! And, of course, I loved every moment of it.

/"Lucky…right…" he managed, turning his head to look past the bars at the external door. "Remind me to thank them next time they hold me down and brand me with a flaming fist."/

Hehee. I think I see where Zuko gets his dry humour from.

I do wonder how Zuko would react to knowing that his father had been burned as punishment, though. Somehow I don't think that Zuko would approve of such behaviour. And I'm really liking the way you're using this to have Ozai think about what he did to his son, but still kind of skirting around the real fact: that he really, really hurt his son that day during the Agni Kai.

OMG! I'm just cackling right now at the 'grandfather' comment and all their reactions. So funny! Again, the addition of humour was much appreciated, especially since it then went onto quite serious matters.

/"Our children…" she was felt a stab of pain in his chest/

Should be 'he', right? And you need to lose the 'was'. I don't normally bother to point out typos unless I know the author wants me to do so, but this one kind of ruins the mood and intenstity of the moment, so I figured I'd point it out anyway.

Ahh, I'm beginning to feel like Ozai might be a bit wrong in thinking he can manipulate his son about the colonies. It's true that Zuko is coming to him for advice, but it's only to confirm what Zuko already feels.

In any case, this was an excellent chapter!
1/25/2013 c3 Boogum
Love how you jump right into this chapter, but I especially love this:

/If he permitted himself to dwell upon it, he began to feel nauseous in the pit of his stomach. It was a new sensation…one of many he had experienced for the first time since his defeat during Sozin's comet and subsequent imprisonment. Coldness. Boredom. Discomfort. Weakness. Hunger…/

You've just said so much about Ozai's character and his situation now in such a few amount of words that I could just hug you. One thing I don't like is too much introspective thought - especially when it's dealing with rather drama-ish type issues. So being able to summarise everything so beautifully (while still getting the emotion across) really, really makes me happy! And I actually feel this short, straight to the point sort of way of thinking suits Ozai. If that makes any sense ...

/"Tell 'Fire Lord Zuko' I would be more apt to finish them if they didn't taste like they had already been in the digestive tract of a kimodo-rhino." was his dry response. As if in protest, he set the bowl down and pushed it away.

That brought the slightest smirk to Ming's thin lips. "I never realized you were such a spoiled brat."/

Hahaha! Oh, I love this. I love Ming. Thank you for adding humour. That just made my night. Especially how astonished he is afterwards when he realises what she called him, lol.

Ooo, it's interesting to see him showing some feeling towards Azula. I think he would, of course, because he did seem to like Azula in his own way. But I do like that he also seems confused by the feelings knowing that she is alive arouses in him. I think Ozai is a man who was so obsessed with power that he shut off his ability to really feel in order to gain that power. People became pawns, but underneath all that still beats a human heart, so it's inevitable that something would have got through to him.

I want some of that ginger candy. Ginger is goooood. Drooling over fictional food aside, I liked that gesture from Zuko. It suits his character and what we know from him. I also can't help but admire Ozai's sneakiness in asking Ming about the colonies. That man is a crafty one.
1/25/2013 c2 Boogum
/Ozai snorted softly, shaking his head. "What difference does it make? The point is that you need to secure the loyalty of your subjects. Let them love you, or let them fear you, but never, ever let them think they can get rid of you."/

That's actually sound advice.

Ozai is such a sneaky piece of work. I like that you don't gloss over how manipulative he is; he's using his son just as surely as he used everyone else while he was in power. He can't help it, and I wouldn't be able to believe in his character if he was portrayed in any other light.

I also like that you had him confront Zuko about Aang's decisions. It was the perfect way for Ozai to set his trap, for Zuko cares too much about his people to believe that what Aang did to the Fire Nation (particularly those living in the colonies) was right.
1/25/2013 c1 Boogum
So I have been wanting to read this for a while, and I am finally getting around to it. Yay!

Your prologue already makes me want to hug Zuko. Becoming Fire Lord at that age (and in that situation) would be one hell of a job, and you know the pressure would get to him. As much as you want to shake Zuko for doing it, there is a weird logic to his reasoning in deciding to seek out Ozai for advice. After all, Ozai is the only person Zuko knows who has actually been Fire Lord.

In any case, consider me intrigued!
12/28/2012 c1 5LadyAvatar
I am so excited to finally have a chance to slowly work my way through a story I've been waiting to read for a while. You have a promising prologue, and I can't wait to discover how this Ozai-centric tale will unfold!
12/23/2012 c13 1LordMortem
lol,azula!NNOO!Ozai ur crazy but i luv ya!
12/23/2012 c12 LordMortem
LOL THE DRAMA this fic. is great3
12/22/2012 c11 LordMortem
lol,ozai crying?I LUV IT!
12/22/2012 c8 LordMortem
This chap. even suprised me!
138 « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »