for Conversations with Ozai

12/22/2012 c7 1LordMortem
UR MARRIED?!COOL I THOUGHT MARRIED PEOPLE WOULD BE ALL OLD AND WOULDN'T CARE ABOUT THINGS LIKE THIS!
12/21/2012 c5 LordMortem
Ozai,seeing sum attion but not gettin any...ursa,is she dead in this fic.?
12/21/2012 c3 LordMortem
I LOVE IT!Blushing ozai is awesome)
12/21/2012 c2 LordMortem
LOL,i like it.
12/18/2012 c16 ArrayePL
Both endings are perfect. I'm not able to choose one. Thank you.
12/18/2012 c16 11Thomas Drovin
Hey there thanks for the alternate ending and epilouge for your story. Very clever of Ozai to fake his own death, people can't go after him if they think he's dead! Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy SAFE New Year!
9/30/2012 c15 3Diablo Snowblind
I would have liked to have seen Ozai do more. Live longer, fight longer, maybe show some new abilities...just have him come to a better end that.
8/17/2012 c15 42irresistible.revolution
So I just read your fic in one sitting, and WOW O.O I'm blown away by this well-paced, well-plotted, dark, beautiful, bittersweet fic. My jaw is on the floor. Zuko's family history is so tragic and fraught and complex and I'm glad skilled writers like you are probing these waters.
I love, LOVE, that you explored Ozai's tattered humanity without in any way shape or form justifying, glossing over or romanticizing his character. Very few people can manage that in this fandom. I hate Ozai redemption fics because I honestly doubt such a person can ever fully redeem himself.
Also, I love how you handled Ming. Her delusions about Ozai are actually quite similar to the delusions some of this fandom seems to have, lol, but I was happy she didn't die and that she saw the reality that was Ozai.
Arrgh so many good scenes, can't pick! The final scene with Azula and Ozai...the line 'you made me very proud' like actually made me choke up a bit. And not because I 'like' Ozai in any way, but because of the lost possibilities and yes because of the curious connection she had with Ozai. I love how you broke down their family dynamics as to why Ursa bonded with Zuko and Ozai with Azula. Also when he heard she was dead, I really did feel pity for him. So give yourself a generous pat on the back and treat yourself to something lavish because you have excelled as a writer when you can draw pity from someone who can't stand a character. Brava!
And of course, I loved the Zutara too :)

And the last scene with Toph and Ming was just perfection: poignant and also funny. Hoooow did you do that? You clearly have tearbending skills.

Ok, I could gush forever, but this was great and wonderful (I can't believe I'm using those words in a story about Ozai :P ) but yea, love love love. I confess I was scrolling the Ozai tag because I'm writing a Zutara AU and I wanted to portray Ozai convincingly, much like you've done here. Sort of plumbing his psyche so he's not a cartoon villain but a three dimensional one. I was leery of what fic I would find, so I'm beyond glad I stumbled across yours. :)
Now excuse me while I go tearbend.
6/24/2012 c15 3Vaderlicious
Hello

Ugh I hate reviewing. Usually I don't because I find it a waste of time, but for this story I couldn't resist.

First of all, fabulous plot. It had me guessing and always in suspense. The way you structured it was nice too; it practically screamed "I can actually plan a plot line and follow through with it!" What I find really annoying with most authors is that they are so blatantly obvious with how the story will end, therefore ruining the entire thing. That was not the case with Conversations with Ozai; I immensely enjoyed the tiny foreshadowing and the twists you put in the plot. My jaw dropped on several occasions, which is always a good thing. I especially loved the Ozai/Ming affair and the twist at the end, it had me grinning like an idiot because I love it so much.

Second, I absolutely LOVED how you portrayed Ozai. A sick, tyrannical man with a twisted conscience is basically how I would sum it up. I mean, good Lord he was bad enough in the original series, but you took it to a completely new level. You gave him personality, one that had me giggling, glaring at my Kindle screen, and sympathizing all at once! The series doesn't really give much backstory on his character and his personality other than he is a power hungry bastard who is willing to go to any lengths just to please himself. You deepened the character of Ozai and really analyzed him as not only this evil Hitler wannabe, but a man as well. I enjoyed the brief little trinkets of humanity sprinkled in there, because it reminded me that he is a man who was corrupted, made horrible decisions, and suffered consequences because of those said actions, which in turn shaped him into what he was as an adult. Most writers don't go in depth with characters such as Ozai, and so reading your depiction of his character was eye catching and very creative. I have always been attracted to the "bad guys", so it was really nice to actually sit down and read something on my favorite character in Avatar: The Last Airbender that had me thinking about him on a deeper level than most fics on here allow.

Thirdly, your writing schematics were absolutey divine. Your writing didn't have me cringing at every paragraph, which is a very nice change. Don't get me wrong, there are many talented writers on here, but you are exceptional.

In summary, the plot was well thought out, the characters were enjoyable to read and thought provoking, and you are a very talented writer. I will be reading more of your works (if you do post more, especially within this section of Avatar) and while I can't promise I will make it a habit to review, know that you have gained an avid fan of your work.

Sincerly,

Vaderlicious
4/1/2012 c9 4AngelBornOfHell
regarding the whole jun theory, it is possible that zuko cant find anything belonging to his mom for the shirshu to sniff out. they probably got rid of all of ursa's stuff, or hid it somewhere that zuko doesnt know
3/31/2012 c15 lazyguy90
Amazing work on this. You really fleshed out Ozai and made his ending suitably tragic. Well done.
3/31/2012 c15 ArrayePL
Great end to a great story. Thank you for sharing.
3/31/2012 c15 121Kimberly T
Good epilogue! So Mako and Bolin are Ming's descendants, eh? I admit I wasn't expecting that at all, though it seems almsot fitting.

Well, since most people wouldn't suspect Ming of having had sex with a prisoner, I'm going to guess that her descendants think her first child was actually fathered by... Fire Lord Zuko! Hey, he's sexy enough that lots of older women wouldn't mind seeing him warming their beds, as evidenced by that crowd of admirers that were waiting outside the palace to get a glimpse of him back in Nightmares and Daydreams. So the family story, told only in whispers, is that Zuko and Ming had a fling, for mutual comfort in those terrible tense days just before the revolt. But when she found out she was pregnant just a few days after he announced he was getting engaged to Katara, Ming decided to take the high road and take her child elsewhere to live, rather than disrupt the royal engagement and political marriage with a scandal over illegitimacy. Ming refuses to say a word and they can't prove anything, but there's the chaild's obvious resemblance to Zuko... ;-)
3/30/2012 c15 81JackieStarSister
I like the idiom of "tiles she had been dealt," since I don't think they have playing cards in the Avatar universe.

I also like how we saw Toph, who was absent for most of this story.

It's interesting how you made your story connect the old series with "The Legend of Korra." I wasn't expecting that! Were you planning to do that all along, or did it come to you toward the end?

Thank you for this story. I look forward to reading more from you!

Sincerely, JackieStarSister
3/29/2012 c15 11Thomas Drovin
And so our story ends huh? Could it be that Bolin and Mako are Ozai's grandchildren? I wonder if they know or not? IF they did WOULD they be ashamed or not? I guess we'll never know huh? Thanks for this story, what are your plans now that it's over? Let me know and I'll see you...OUT there!
138 « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »