for Yours, Tommie

3/17/2017 c14 Asparagarrus
I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading this. In particular, the small historical pieces (Real people and their actions) you melded with the story and movie scenes. That was really impressive.
3/16/2016 c13 Guest
I don't normally prefer to review fanfictions, but this piece was too good. Out of all the writings in this archive, I believe this one was the most touching and well written. It's beautifully structured and gives insight to a side that does not get much writing. I feels as if Thomas Andrews does not have enough about him. How must he have felt when the ship sank after all the years creating Titanic? What was his relationship with Rose? What was his previous life like? All these questions were answered. Thank you for this truely inspiring writing.

-AC
2/25/2014 c14 rmsfox
Bravo! This is a truly amazing story and you are an excellent writer! I highly suggest you continue to write stories. Everything was absolutely perfect.
12/5/2013 c12 gada2013
The last paragraph made me cry... To be honest, and the whole chapter...
7/16/2012 c13 21ograndebatata
Well... as far as epilogues go, this one seems to fit many general rules, as it's the only chapter of the story not involving Thomas' perspective.

This look inside Rose's head as years go by is very interesting, as well as what she goes through in the years after the sinking of the Titanic.

And I see you included Calvert, a character who in spite of being a faceless name in the movie (and even that was already a fair bit of luck) I always felt quite sorry for. After all, Rose never got to tell him... well, if I understand things correctly, she never told him anything about anything. She didn't even tell him that for her he was little more than... well, I don't really know what she viewed him as, so I'd better not tell him anything.

And although he probably carried that ignorance to his grave (and lived a fairly happy marriage with Rose, I daresay) he didn't even get to enjoy an eternity of happiness in heaven with his wife.

Oh well, I guess my side of guy who has always been turned down by women and always feels for the nice guy who finishes last is far stronger than it should be.

I liked your inclusion of the sinking of the Britannic, and the statement of how there was such little loss of life in comparison to the sinking of the Titanic.

I never read that Thomas Andrews biography, but it sounds like a book worth reading from the description included in the story, in spite of the qualms Calvert seems to have toward it.

I can also perfectly understand why Rose would be so shocked at the Olympic being scrapped, considering her connections to the Titanic, and how the Olympic was sort of a preliminary Titanic.

Rose's children certainly have nice names, and I can understand why she named them after those two people that meant so much for her... but I'm surprised there isn't a Jack among them. Maybe she thought the emotion connected to that name would be too much for her to conceal, which would lead to Calvert noticing and starting to ask uncomfortable questions... in spite of his clear desire not to do so.

Well... all in all, this was an excellent story, far better than what is usually found here. I loved to read it, and I hope that my reviews brought you some form of joy, even though I only started reviewing when the story was already finished.

Best regards, and good luck on your future writing!
7/16/2012 c12 ograndebatata
Well... I knew this chapter was coming... but still, now that I've actually got around to read it... I still got moist eyes and a lump in my throat.

This final note for Helen is as heartbreaking as the rest of the chapter. In some ways, I think it's good that she never got to read it... but at the same time, I find that if she'd read it, she would at least have gotten some closure.

Poor Thomas... having to die while feeling the guilt for the deaths of over a thousand people, while at the same time watching and listening to Titanic's death throes around him... in many ways, it's more heartbreaking than the moment when Rose loses Jack.

But you handled this moment excellently, in my opinion, particularly with your inclusion of Nearer, My God, to Thee at the ending.

Congratulations on that.
7/16/2012 c11 ograndebatata
Well, this chapter was quite action-packed to say the least.

You portray very well the general lack of belief in how the Titanic will sink, and how others react to the truth once it become obvious. I honestly felt sorry for just about all of them.

But the only one I felt more sorry for than Thomas was Murdoch. Poor man, did everything in his might to avoid the iceberg... and in the end, the ship hit. It's a wonder he managed to keep on working in spite of being undoubtedly crushed by guilt.

Well, tragedy does seem to bring people closer, seeing how Thomas and Maggie made up during the disaster. That's a very good thing - at least it's one less regret for them to have at the time.

Lightoller, on the other hand, clearly got an extra one by launching so many boats half-full. Even though I don't really like James Cameron's portrayal of him, I can't help but to fee sorry for the man.

Also... I actually felt sorry for Ismay when he started muttering his wife's name... But at the same time, and quite surprisingly so, I don't really feel like I have the right to accuse him for having jumped into a lifeboat, as I'm not sure I would have done any better if I was in his place - although I hope with all my heart that should I ever find myself in such a tragedy, I'd have the bravery each of the Titanic's heroes revealed.
7/16/2012 c10 ograndebatata
Well, the opening flashback in this chapter helps to answer a question I had some chapters ago... but it really doesn't help to understand why things were that way back then. I guess it was just another of those rules of the Victorian society.

And "Jerk" Bruce Ismay strikes again. Honestly, that man can make far dirtier moves that I've ever imagined him (even in how he's portrayed in Cameron's movie) capable of! Threatening to ruin Thomas' clearly very happy wedding... I'm surprised Thomas kept his cool not only then, but later at the smoking room when Ismay started displaying that ice warning he got (again, congratulations on weaving a historical tidbit into the plot, a compliment which is also valid for the second class religious service).

And well... it seems that the moment of truth has arrived. Less than three hours to go.

Which as we know, is enough time for plenty of things to happen.
7/16/2012 c9 ograndebatata
This chapter is my favorite one so far.

The way how us readers get to learn so much about the Titanic in a manner that doesn't drag down the plot is just wonderful to read. And the way how you manage to weave in Thomas' ever-present concern for 'young Rose' is the icing on the cake.

As for Ruth's comment regarding first and second class dishes being cooked together... honestly, I sort of get that the woman is desperate regarding the family's financial situation, but does she really need to go about social discrimination like that?

Seriously, I just can't believe that woman's nerve. She's even worse than Cal and Ismay!

And speaking of the devil... it seems Thomas is about to have his hands full with him. Full indeed.
7/16/2012 c8 ograndebatata
This chapter's opening flashback is very interesting to read, and it shows that you did your research. I have to say, I got quite surprised when I learned that the Titanic was originally meant to have enough lifeboats for all the passengers - and even more so when I read that in fact enough money for all the lifeboats would have been like spare change in comparison to the overall budget for the ship's building. So it's nothing short of an outrage that the decision was made to not include the lifeboats.

But then again, the truth is that only the lifeboats wouldn't have been enough to get all the passengers off safely, as from what I read, the crew was not trained in evacuations.

It doesn't amaze me that Ismay's refusal to include all the lifeboats Thomas intended was one of the things that made our favorite shipbuilder dislike him. I would too.

And he sure is considerate for first class people, taking care to make the tour at an hour at which they'd already have rested after luncheon. It's a crying shame that first class doesn't seem to have the same consideration even for people of their own social standing. Seriously, why can't they just mind their own business, instead of ruining other people's lives just for the sake of gossip?

It sure seems that some things haven't changed that much in a hundred years.

And speaking of changing, it's nice to see Thomas's perfectionist mind is still working in spite of the looming headache over the grief he fears he'll get.
7/16/2012 c7 ograndebatata
Well, this chapter certainly has had an unexpected opening, as it didn't open with either a note to Nellie or a flashback. But I can see the reasons behind that.

And poor Thomas... sitting in a room full of cigar smoke listening to masters of the Universe prattling on and on about how great they are and about their wives seems the sort of thing that probably would almost make Thomas prefer to be standing by the no-longer existant coal fire in the boiler room.

It becomes obvious here that, while in Cameron's movie there is room for interpretation regarding Cal's feelings for Rose... the perspective you follow here is quite clear - and one that just makes me hate him.

On the other hand, I love Thomas and Maggie in the third class party! And I sure can relate to Thomas making it a point of staying sober, as I've always been the only one to make a point of staying sober at any events that involved drinking (not that I'm saying Thomas is the only one doing such a thing here).

Tommy Ryan's pride in an Irish ship is a nice touch, and again something most of us can relate to. But seriously... did he have to go and shout to the whole Titanic that Thomas Andrews was there? I'm surprised the poor man didn't die from embarrassment or something!

But at the same time, I can't help but to find it somewhat funny that he did so. Hopefully Thomas won't have much of a problem dealing with it.
7/16/2012 c6 ograndebatata
This chapter's opening note was as well written as all the others before... and again, it had quite a sweet touch to it in the end, not only regarding Thomas saying how he misses Nellie and Elba, but regarding his picturing of her reaction to the food comment.

"Oh, Rose..." indeed. Even though I'm a guy, it's always been impossible for my heart not to drop a bit whenever Thomas says that line in the movie... and even though he repeats it here in a fairly different context, the effect was the same.

And the fact that here we have some more background regarding Cal's exact feelings for Rose here just makes me feel even worse for her in that scene (because, no offense meant to James Cameron, as far as the movie's concerned, Cal's feelings for Rose are never made quite clear there, as his actions manage to leave room for interpretation.

The moment where Thomas and Jack see and compare Jack's sketches of Rose is beautifully written, and I think it's a perfect portrayal of the comparison of Rose's two sides in the movie.

By the way, you sure do your research! I was already aware of that before, but that detail you include about the toilets really reinforces that.

Also, let me say you have quite a talent to dropping in references to James Cameron's movie that, although recognizable, appear very natural and fluid. It was pulled off very well in that scene involving Thomas and Ismay, who to me seems ever more in-character to James Cameron's portrayal (which, as you pointed out in your introductory note, doesn't necessarily relate to the one of the historical figure).

I'm glad to see that Thomas, although reclusive, is far from meek or scaredy, and stands up to Ismay with more courage than a good number of other people in his position would.

The problem is that Ismay doesn't seem the sort to back down either... and even if things ended at a stalemate this time, there's always the future to change that.

And it's obvious from the date in the note that things are now fairly close to changing quite a lot for everyone.
7/16/2012 c5 ograndebatata
This chapter's opening has to be the one that, until now, captured me the most.
There's just something about Nellie's horror when she wakes up from the nightmare, Thomas' blind rush to her room, and the way how he comforts her and then basically 'kills' the novel that make it one of the most poignant pieces of writing I've read on this website.

And considering the name that was just given to "hull 401" and the name of the ship in Robertson's novel (which I read, by the way), it doesn't amaze me in the least that Nellie had a nightmare, or that Thomas thought of changing the name of 401. There was one minor aspect that made me briefly raise an eyebrow, though.

Is Thomas sleeping in a separate room from his wife? If so, why? Was that one of the many standard practices among couples at that time period, at least when the wife was pregnant? Or did Thomas fall asleep on the couch or something, and then woke up to his wife's screams?

Well... whatever the reason, I accept that, even though I don't entirely understand it.

And now we have the dinner party scene... which again, was one of those I didn't like so much in the movie... but that's because I can relate a lot to people who are squashed like bugs by their so-called superiors, like Ruth and Cal both tried to do to Jack.

I also can relate to Thomas just wanting to sort of set himself apart from that world and instead devote his attention to his ship.

And again, I couldn't help but to feel a small surge of anger toward Ismay, who just seems like he feels he's the king of the world and everything on Titanic must go absolutely like he wants. By the way, I liked your reference to old Rose's dialogue in the segment where Thomas notices the look Ismay is giving him.

I quite liked Thomas' peek at the party in steerage, as it feels like something very in character for him.

I'm a bit surprised at your mention of Lovejoy being racist, though... as after all he's a British working for an American, and I can't help but to think British people would be more prejudiced toward Americans than toward Irish.

But that's just me. And rest assured, so far, none of these minor things I point out detract from how much I like this story.
7/16/2012 c4 ograndebatata
Well, so far, each of the notes Thomas writes to Nellie seems to have had a different note to it, if you get my meaning... and this one certainly had a fairly funny one, as I have to say I snickered somewhat at Thomas openly writing his guess about the reaction Nellie would have regarding the note's date.

The fact he can't lie to his wife is not only sweet, but it shows very well his faithfulness toward her.

And moving on from last chapter's cliffhanger... that was a very nice and believable explanation as to why Molly is called like that.

I like your inclusion of she and Thomas both being smart enough to realize that Rose wouldn't be leaning over to see the propellers, and that Rose feels, like Molly puts it, trapped... although on that sense, the movie could have fleshed out a bit more as to why Rose feels like that, as from what I know, first class women were still the ones that had more chances at 'freedom' at the time. The mention of Cal being a 'controlling misogynist' does help to patch up that minor fault, though, so congratulations on that!

However, my favorite part of this chapter is definitely the further growth of the friendship between Molly and Thomas, and how they agree to call each other by the nicknames that clearly are reserved for people they feel are close to them.

And that was quite a funny note to end the chapter with... as for some reason, I couldn't help but to laugh a bit at Thomas thinking he was seeing things regarding something our well-known redhead was learning from 'some ruffian in suspenders'.
7/16/2012 c3 ograndebatata
Well, this chapter's opening scene is certainly different from the two previous ones, but it's not any less well-written.

Even though she's only featured in a short segment, I quite enjoyed Nellie as a character from what I read there. She has just enough of a 'dreamwife' quality without looking unrealistic. She certainly seems the ideal wife for Thomas.

I also enjoyed their discussion about ship's names, but I do have to disagree with Thomas regarding the fact Titanic doesn't quite fit in the group with Olympic and Brittanic (which by then was still meant to be named Gigantic if my facts are right). After all, Olympic is after a large mountain, Brittanic after a large island, and Titanic after large Titans. In a way, all of them to fit Mr. Ismay's 'male preoccupations with size' to quote Rose.

Smith seems just as trusting on Titanic as he was on the day it left Southampton, but at least, he's shown to be able to hear other people's opinions, instead of thinking that only his own count. Also, it was a nice touch to have him thinking about his wife and daughter back home, and to be that what takes their conversation toward Rose's 'mishap'.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that Thomas got concerned about her, as he's one of only two people in first class who clearly cared about her and didn't express it through either belligerent or emotionally harmful ways (if that makes any sense to begin with).

Thomas and Molly about to start talking was a great place to end the chapter - although I think her question was a little random. But her answer to it won't be for sure.
41 Page 1 .. Last Next »