for Contract of the Shinigami

great
5/14/2012 c1 Raven Marcus
Interesting!
5/14/2012 c1 GrievousHollow
I'm not a usual reader of Naruto/Kushina pairing fictions, but the concept of Naruto having a full contract with the Shinigami gained my interest. Naruto is very lucky in his dealings with beings of much greater power than his own. I've always seen Naruto as the ultimate gambler, only he rarely ever comes out losing his shirt, or jumpsuit in this case. lol.

Naruto has his canon personality, so it brings to light the choices that a naive genin would make when using a contract with the Shinigami of all things. Right now, he is very inexperienced with just about everything regarding the world of the shinobi. He has only witnessed death a few times, and has only felt the pain of loss once with Sarutobi's death.

If the beginning of the story follows canon events, then Naruto hasn't even made his first kill.

The Shinigami will be watching to see how Naruto changes with these events, and the payments he would require to return a dead soul back to the living world. Naruto believes that all he has to do to get back Sasuke is to beat him up, and then return him to the village. When he begins to understand that the world he became a part of isn't so black and white and that it has more grey in it, he is going to find that promises aren't as easy to keep as he originally thought.

It was interesting seeing the Kyuubi and Shinigami's reaction to Naruto referring to the Yondaime as someone he respects. They know something about his past, something that makes them uneasy with his hero-like status in Naruto's eyes. This has many possibilities, I like it. :)

There will be issues that Naruto will have with finding individuals for the Shinigami to help revive the dead that Naruto requests. Naruto at the genin level would have a hard time taking down veteran shinobi of skill without using Kyuubi's chakra or spamming them with Shadow Clones. I think that experienced Kunoichi and Shinobi would have ways of discovering the real Naruto among the clones, so I hope that Jiraiya will teach him some useful techniques during the 3 years of training.

He will need to keep his contract with the Shinigami a secret or he will be inundated with requests and demands to resurrect friends, lovers, relatives etc. With Kushina going to return to the world of the living, he would have to come up with a cover story to hide the fact that she didn't survive the Kyuubi's extraction.

This story is interesting because it leaves some moral issues for Naruto to deal with. For example: Tsunade finds out that Naruto has a contract with the Shinigami and wants her old lover Dan and her brother Nawaki back. Naruto agrees and the Shinigami brings both back to life. Naruto tries to kill Kabuto and Orochimaru in order to fulfill the obligations of the contract, but fails in the end. He cannot find any 'bad guys' to kill and he is out of options. The Shinigami tells Naruto that he is running out of time to receive the new souls for the contract. Would he have to break his promise to Tsunade and have the Shinigami take back their souls, or would Tsunade lose it, and round up civilians for Naruto to use to keep them here. It would be tough for him to maintain a morally ambiguous high ground in this type of scenario.

Kushina being revived has many ramifications for the story, and I'm looking forward to the changes that it will make to shake up canon events. She also has intimate knowledge of just what happened to cause the Kyuubi to be unleashed on Konoha.

There would be some awkwardness between them at first. Naruto was never taught how to interact with people, and Kushina being a beautiful woman, and also his mother will take some adjusting to on his part. I hope it will be a slow buildup to their relationship. Those are always the best type of stories, and it helps to draw the reader in more.

This first chapter is very good, and I look forward to your next update. :)
5/14/2012 c1 Anon
This is reaaaaally good, hope you update soon :)
5/13/2012 c1 Irishfighter
Great chapter
5/13/2012 c1 kurama yyh
this is a good start please continue.

on another note all I can think of when naruto and the shinigami are talking and someone walks in is one death note when light is talking to ryuk and two bleach when ichigo's father walks in when ichigo and rukia are first meet.
5/13/2012 c1 BobTheSkrull
Glad you got a new fanfic up! Hoping for some Civilian Council bashing at the very least, if not Sakura bashing.
5/13/2012 c1 Trey of the rebellion
nice story idea, i hope to see more of this story
5/13/2012 c1 oncler
if Naruto didn't know Kushina was his mom, then wouldn't Naruto be atracted to her? also, is this Naruto gonna forgive Minoto and Kushina as easily as canon did (Minoto sent the Kyubi where Kushina and Naruto were and you can't blame the kyubi for hating Kushina, Kyubi was a prisoner that was imprisoned after its brotheren were traded away as pawn and it's only crime was being used as a weapon against it's will... Kushina was basically torturing the Kyubi -i mean just look at it's seal in narutopedia- and Kyubi only attacked Naruto after the 4th tried to seal it in Naruto...
5/13/2012 c1 ChoppedHige
I'm not sure what to say at this point. I'm going to have to wait to give an actual review. The only thing I can say right now is that I love Naru/Kushi's. I also like how you've put conditions on how Naruto can bring people back. To my knowledge, it's pretty unique. Well, I'll give this story a review once the next chapter comes out. Thanks for the work and I'm looking forward to the next chapter. -Chris
5/13/2012 c1 8The Unknown Uchiha
surely is interesting. if you need any help just pm me.
5/13/2012 c1 2bakapervert
Interesting story. Do the people Naruto revive get to keep staying alive or they are going to be back to pure world after the fight over?
5/13/2012 c1 LinMing2019
Very original idea, i don't think there has ever been a shinigami summoning contract story before...also big fan of the pairing Kushina is definitely one of the hottest Naruto females ever...
5/13/2012 c1 OregonDucks
Good story, please don't do to much bashing
5/13/2012 c1 hotboy727