for Interview with an Emperor

7/16/2012 c2 45Queen
I don't usually read much focusing on Palpatine, nor have I read the Darth Plagueis novel, but this caught my eye, and it's quite interesting - an in depth look at Palpatine's life as a child. The prologue is just chilling, and again, though I admit to not focusing much on Palpatine, his voice and the inflections you give it sound spot on in my mind. Polite but frightening, intimidating and cold and of course very powerful.

The Naboo ceremony and the foreshadowing - ill omen? - in the dropping of the rattle was nicely done, not just foretelling a fall in relation to the child, but making the basket symbolic of a stable home. Consinga is creating anything but that. Thinking Breme is screaming during childbirth to gain his sympathy? What a narcissist, as well as an abuser. And the first thing, it seems Palpatine learns to hate is a person who expresses hate - or at least extreme selfishness.

You've set up a truly interesting scenario here, with baby!Palpatine already so conscious and aware of what's happening around him, and already with those terribly spooky Sith eyes. Cosinga doesn't know it yet, but he's entirely out of his league...

Very nicely done!
7/16/2012 c2 Guest

Very nicely done!
7/16/2012 c2 16DarthObsydian
Splendidly done!
The first chapter reminded me a lot of Interview with a Vampire, which probably gave it more of an eerie feel for me than was intended, but nevertheless brilliant.
x*X*x*X*x
The second chapter was very intriguing.
I loved the naming ceremony and the allusions to Palpatine’s dark future with the classic ‘disturbed holy man’.
The scene of his birth and the interaction between Cosinga and his wife was highly believable and quite stirring. (It made me want to punch Cosinga right on the nose.)
I loved the fact that his eyes were yellow at birth, which is an opinion I share.
You’re right, it’s very interesting to see just how alike- and especially how different- one author’s thoughts on a character is from another!
I look forward to reading more; keep it up!
7/11/2012 c2 RKB
It's as if the universe knew something bad was going down when Palpatine was born, with it being a stereotypical dark and stormy night when the little monster came into the world. I see now where the Emperor got his stunning lack of decency and humanity. I suppose he resembles his father more than Cosinga would care to admit. If only his parents had lived to see what their baby boy would grow up to be! HAHAHAHAHA! So much for warding off the forces of chaos and bringing the family name back to greatness.
7/11/2012 c2 ILBCD
I didn't like Cosinga before, and now, I really, really, really, don't like him. Such a jerk! What kind of a man slaps his wife?

He appears to be driven by his own goals, his own plans of power. Now why does that sound familiar? Like someone we know?

And even before he was born, Palpatine was causing problems. Yeah... okay.

Love it!
7/11/2012 c1 22Cerulean Apocalypse
This sounds like the beginning of something very interesting. I like your style of telling the story from his POV, it adds a really dark quality, if that makes any sense. I'd defintely like to read more of this.
Cerulean
7/11/2012 c1 RKB
This is going to be fantastic; I can tell. Very few people write Palpatine in all his malevolent glory as well as you do. I await the continuation of this story with baited breath.
7/11/2012 c1 Nangijala
Beautiful prologue! Can't wait for the first chapter.
7/10/2012 c1 ILBCD
Is this the one that you needed his first name for? I hope so, it sounds delightfully interesting...
It's actually really creepy (and exiting) because it sounds like I've got the Emperor in here talking to me...

It's taken from a personal interview you did, right? You know, before they exiled you?
I'm beginning to think that you have some strange obsession with Palpatine, and you're starting to drag me down with you. Granted, I doubt that it will ever overcome my obsession with Vader, but still...

Anyway, looking forward to the next chapter!
7/10/2012 c1 6Green Verde
Wonderful. Might help you write if you make them Palpatine's Tall Tales about his own life; canon or non-canon whatever makes for the best read! I don't really know Palpatine's canon from Darth Plagueis since I barely read it. So plausible or implausible as long as implausible engenders laughter or amusement!
7/9/2012 c1 Guest
Interesting
7/9/2012 c1 25DarkJediJade
Ooo I am very excited by this! There are far few fics which focus solely on the emperor. I know from your other fics you write him well so I'm very much looking forward to seeing this progress! :)
27 « Prev Page 1 2