for Meditation

2/9/2018 c1 Anon
This is amazing - insightful and weirdly hot at the same time
4/19/2017 c1 Guest
Love this story so much, and how you describe Matthew's physical and mental pain, and how only thoughts of Mary gives him peace. His subconscious mind tells him all he needs to know, but he is not ready for it. His memory from the library says a lot about the relationships with the two women - i have always wondered about his safe love for Lavinia, and whether Sir Richard was telling the truth, "Lavinia knew you never loved her". If he did love her, it wasn't a passionate love. Anyhow, hope to see you back, and that you are still reading your reviews.
10/2/2012 c1 27DesertOrchid7485
Loved it! I, too, have wished to give poor Matthew a massage to relieve his back, so you're not alone there ;)
8/25/2012 c1 91OrangeShipper
Oh, my word. I could FEEL that. (Forgive me a moment's shallowness but Matthew doing any kind of groaning is HOT and UNF.)

I wondered as I was reading the first few paragraphs if this was subtly an M/L fic, but... oh, you worked it perfectly, and I think exquisitely and brilliantly handled his complicated feelings for both Mary and Lavinia, and his latent guilt-ridden nature, that he felt unworthy to survive, and all of this translating through his physical pain and healing... oh, ugh, wow. Loved it. Loved it.

It gave me all the warm fuzzies, and once more, I could just FEEL it, from his tension and frustration at the beginning (SO Matthew, to be so bitter and grumpy and wanting more despite having come on so much!), to it all relaxing, the pain, the ease in tension... oh. Loved it. :D
8/22/2012 c1 Guest
Beautifully written. Thank you.
8/22/2012 c1 36Pemonynen
Headcanon accepted. LOVE that it was Mary who thought of the stick, and had it engraved and everything, because if this did happen, it adds so much more weight to when he says "You are my stick". She actually is. But of course she would be the one to think of it and then tell Robert not to say it was her. Eurgh, poor Mary. :( I also the idea that accepting his feelings for Mary - whatever they were, and have been, and are - is what releases the pain and tension. He knows how Lavinia feels, that's obvious, but Mary has always been a mystery and it takes Violet and the word "still" to really throw him off and make him think about it. Gah and all of the memories of the trenches and William. :( I think he would feel guilt over William's death for a long time, because William threw himself in front of Matthew and saved him. *Sniffs* This is just beautiful. Well done. :)
8/22/2012 c1 23R. Grace
Lovely insight into Matthew's post-recovery mind. This was such an original idea, and I am beyond thrilled that you let me be a part. Keep up the good work!
8/22/2012 c1 GhostIsland
What an original idea! :D Matthew engaged to Lavinia the second time is a time period the show definitely forgot, so it was so interesting to see it explored here (in London, no less!) I was particularly partial, of course, to Matthew's thoughts of Mary - how her poem grounded him, and that lovely Freudian slip that showed where she really resided in his heart. :) The last part was truly lovely, and fits seamlessly into Matthew's 2x08 canon! What an emotional read - keep writing! :)
8/22/2012 c1 Shanghaied in LaLaLand
Wow. This was brilliant. Such great use of repeating themes (dualities, really: pain/pleasure, fantasy/reality, past/future, etc.), as well as imagery to bring to the fore who Matthew really is and what he really wants - at his core, in his most exposed state. I also love that at the end there's that kernel of honesty which wasn't touched on in canon (though perhaps you could argue it was there in subtext): Matthew's choice of Lavinia perhaps was more about fear than it was about honor and duty and the rest.

I should read this through a couple of more times to unpack it, and it's only a great piece that compels me to do that. A terrific character study. I hope it gets the traffic it deserves - I fear it will be missed by many because it doesn't turn up in M/M search results. (Oh, BTW, I would up the rating; this is really "T" territory IMO.)
8/22/2012 c1 hillevi
Absolutely lovely!
Thank you for this.
8/21/2012 c1 4adrielmoonstar
Great story, I love that Matthew focused on Mary to get past the pain. (Which given the pain of a massage after merely twisting my own back I can hardly imagine...) I also really liked that you wrote something covering the all too short "recovery period"...and pointed out that it couldn't have been as easy as the show makes out.