FanFiction.Net
for Psychological Analysis: Saeko Busujima

10/21/2012 c1 Granten
I note that Saeko only seems to fit at most two of the symptoms and this isn't really a fanfic so much as commenting on a character. I will admit that it's nice to see something about this series that ISN'T another 'OC characters are in a zombie world that the writer pretends isn't their tired idea'.
9/30/2012 c1 5SteezAwesomeness
below review:

Thanks for your thorough review. I went into it knowing I was only going to write out a brief analysis. I was sure afterwards that I may not have given the best diagnosis possible, but it was purely out of entertainment and thought-provoking value.

I may, in the future, give a more thorough analysis. Until then, hopefully this gives some "scientific" elucidation to Saeko's mental/emotional condition(s).
9/30/2012 c1 RaidenStryfe
The concept for this article was certainly a good idea. However, the actual analysis leaves a lot to be desired. So although it is entertaining and thought provoking, due mainly in part to its core concept, it was not as informative as I originally anticipated. Perhaps the opening citation to the DSM III-R lifted my expectations too high.

I am assuming the citation for Sadistic Personality Disorder (hereinafter SPD) is correct. The inclusion of this information, as previously stated, raised my expectations. Since you can't trust what you read on the internet, citations earn credibility and deference for an author and their opinions/analysis. Similarly, the author's discussion on potential causes of the character's SPD seemed competent, even if it was a little brief. Unfortunately, the major fault in this article is that the discussion of potential causes for Saeko's SPD is based on a PRESUMED diagnosis.

Simply put, it is never appropriate to to list the criteria for a diagnosis and then state, "clearly, Saeko possessed a sadistic personality." If you intend analyze a person's (real or fictitious) personality, then you need to actually analyze their personality and not simply skip over it and move on to potential causes. (The analysis was kind of the entire purpose of the article.) Proper analysis would have been to go through each criteria, at least four of which must be satisfied, and say why each criteria is met. Examples of behavior satisfying said criteria are practically necessary as well. If you really want to be thorough, you should also go over each criteria that is not met and state why. Given the sexually charged nature of the source material, section B probably should have been addressed as well since sexual arousal would negate a diagnosis for SPD.

Assuming the citation to the DSM III-R is correct, I don't see how a diagnosis of SPD is appropriate. The analysis actually seems to contradict the criteria. Of the eight criteria, only number 8 is subjective/internal. Item 8 could arguably be met, but since it is subjective it is also the most widely applicable. The other seven are all objective, observable behaviors. None of which are met. In fact, the analysis states that Saeko is well-mannered in public. It does not matter how she "feels" or what she thinks, what matters is how she actually treats other people. Outwardly, she is polite, respectful, calm, logical, helpful, protective and well-liked. Her beating one man (a stranger) really has no impact on a diagnosis of SPD as there was no "relationship" between them and it was an isolated incident that does no, in itself, create a trend. As a matter of fact, one incident with only a single individual expressly precludes a diagnosis of SPD under section B.

So the article was entertaining, and it was certainly thought provoking. I enjoyed responding to your article/posting, and perhaps diagnosing Saeko could prove entertaining whenever time allows. I always welcome being corrected, so if you feel the need to defend your original diagnosis I certainly look forward to reading it. I just am sure there is something in the DSM that would be appropriate, I just don't think it is SPD.
9/29/2012 c1 9GreyWarden2009
Heh heh, good luck convincing her to actually go to therapy. Clever diagnosis, by the way. You should definately take a look at some of my fellow coworkers in Security Forces. We have some really angry people.