for He Chanted a Song

11/25/2018 c1 Al
*****
10/29/2018 c1 9TheDarkLordofDoom
Ah, now this is glory incarnate. Or in-type-nate. The battle has been captured so perfectly, by Sauron's attempts to first push Finrod down with the weight of the world's grief, repeatedly tempting him to blaspheme Eru's name like Fëanor's sons and fall. Finrod's song runs true, and he fights valiantly with his mighty song, even as Sauron's more assertive, more aggressive second verse pushes him on the back foot, this time ordering him to blaspheme Eru's name and fall. Finrod still rescues his situation with a mighty verse, standing defiant- only for Sauron's trick at the very end.
"You've already blasphemed Eru's name, so fall!" and thus fell Finrod, noblest of the house of Finwë. One can feel the power of the song, and how Sauron changes his tune at the end to match Finrod's and become a dark, twisted version of it is a magnificent piece of writing yet wholly canonical.
However, I think there are a few mistakes-
Sauron referring to Melkor as 'Morgoth' seems odd, as he would never name his master 'dark enemy'. Moreover, it seems likely that Sauron would sing in a more archaic form of quenya, thus calling for its representation to be in older English, such as 'Thou shalt blaspheme Eru's name and fall!" However, the lines and verse were absolutely perfect. This even forced me to sing along. Fantastic.
5/24/2017 c1 27Lydwina Marie
This was so good. Thanks for posting!
5/23/2013 c1 auri-australis
Excellent work. I don't know much about poetry but yours was really well-written in my mind
3/28/2013 c1 Fareth
The poem is just amazing - especially the end. I really enjoyed to read it.
1/11/2013 c1 5Empress of Cornwall
Lovely reimagining of the epic spell song battle between Sauron and Finrod...Well done!

I can understand your facination with Sauron as he's so compelling in that ultimate bad boy way.

Might I suggest something quite wicked?

Prompt - Luthien and Beren battle Morgoth for the Silmarills but maybe Thingols daughter starts feeling drawn to the power of the other side?
11/12/2012 c1 7Fortune Zyne
Wow, dramatic! Well done!
10/28/2012 c1 46The Wayfaring Strangers
Hi, Sg! This is a lovely poem. It has never occurred to me to write a poem about that duel. You di a great job!

-Celt