for His Life Before Their Eyes

5/10/2014 c1 17VG LittleBear
Hi, afterlife with Shannon and Kelly ... an interesting concept. I liked Shannon's thoughts in particular.
Anastasia sounds like an interesting character, maybe on day you'll write her story :)
Thanks and cheers!
2/8/2013 c1 42moms5thchild
Love this story... its good to leap around and find gems like this every so often. Nano-Care! I like magic better too.

Mom
1/14/2013 c1 8Wand and a Paperclip
This is such an amazing story! I loved reading it. I've never favorited anything, even after reading so many stories, but I just love this one so much. Thanks for writing it!
1/6/2013 c1 56the electric phantom
Wow. That was amazing! I didn't think I would like it, but I really do.
12/13/2012 c1 3alix33
"She leaned out the window, waving and yelling as his truck pulled into the driveway. "I love you, Leroy Jethro Gibbs!" Then she ducked inside and bounded down the stairs, meeting him as he came through the door. "Did you hear me?" He laughed and pulled her into a hug, snagging their daughter as she ran up and making it a family affair. "I think the whole base heard you, Shan." Shannon Gibbs kissed her husband firmly on the lips above Kelly's protests." - Hehehe.
Anastasia sounds in-te-res-ting...
"but like I said – way above my pay grade." Shannon smiled. "My husband likes that term." Thinking of him brought on a new set of worries. "Gibbs!" She felt her heart rate shoot up, and that was really strange, considering she wasn't supposed to even have a heartbeat anymore. "My husband, Jethro...my God, what's he going to do? He's in Kuwait; who's going to take care of Kelly until he can come home?" Anastasia wouldn't meet Shannon's eyes. "Well, the good news is, the war is over." "And?" Shannon pressed. "When you put it like that, there's bad news too." She was elated to hear the combat had ended; but it was a strange mix of emotions. Sorrow that she wouldn't be there to meet him. Worry for his reaction. Concern for his and Kelly's welfare. Her Gibbs should have been coming home to a hero's welcome, not a fresh grave and a motherless child. Anastasia finally stopped fiddling with the invisible spot on her arm she'd been picking at and looked up. "The bad news is, he's not going to be raising Kelly." "What?" A million possibilities jumped to Shannon's mind, leaving her reeling. "He's her father! Don't tell me my mother's going to keep her from him. I love her, but Kelly belongs with him." "I agree." Anastasia's lips pressed together, thinning into a single line. "But remember what I said about not getting to call the shots? I'm trying to be gentle, here. In my line of work, I've found people don't need blazing neon signs in their faces." Horror dawned, and Shannon looked back at her daughter, who was still sleeping peacefully. "Kelly too?" Anastasia nodded. "There's no up side to this. But if it helps, she didn't feel a thing. Like you." Everything was happening too fast. The world had gone crazy and there was no way to make it stop. Shannon wanted to cry. She wanted to scream. She wanted to beg and plead and in the end, it would do her no good. Rule Eight – Never take anything for granted. She felt utterly defeated, but she had to carry on. For her daughter. In the back seat, Kelly began to stir. "Mommy?" Kelly clutched her doll, looking concerned. Anastasia's credentials, previously beside her, had vanished. "Kelly, baby." Shannon felt the tears welling up in her eyes. "It's gonna be okay." And there she went, breaking one of her own rules, never to lie to her child." - These paragraphs were very moving.
"The hardest part was explaining everything to Kelly. Jethro had wanted to follow them. Kelly wanted them to be a family again. And so did Shannon, but she couldn't be selfish. It would have been so easy, to cross that invisible line, when he was in that coma, when he sat with that gun in his hand...to whisper in his ear, "Come with me." He would have; she had no doubt. And it would have been wrong, because the world needed him." - AS was this one.
"As Jethro joined NIS, as he put his grief to work finding justice for others, Shannon knew she and Kelly had not died in vain. It wasn't something she discussed with Kelly in so many words, but Kelly was a smart girl and Shannon was pretty sure she understood. As they watched, kept at a distance, Kelly cheered her father on, watching as Daddy caught the bad guys." - AW!
"Jethro tried his hand at romantic relationships, and Shannon never took it personally when he failed to mention his past. There was never a good time to lay the "dead family" card on the table. She genuinely wanted him to move on and be happy. But though guilt nagged her, it never hurt Shannon's ego when he stood at her grave, reluctantly telling her about the latest redhead to come into or leave his life, concluding with, "She's not you." Some of them, Shannon ended up cheering for. Some of them, Shannon was happy to see pack their bags. Kelly, in her sweet way, declared that Mommy was Daddy's One True Love, and no one else would do." - These sentences were sweet and sad and funny simultaneously.
"Some of those ladies are nice," Kelly said one day. "Agent Jenny was cool, until she left. But I think she knew." "I think she did," Shannon agreed," - As were these.
"Grant had died in 1945 in London, only eight years old, of asthma complications. Now he ran and played freely, never having to fight for breath again." - AW!
"Kelly was usually happy to run off and play with Grant or any of her other pals before Jethro's "so romantic" dinners turned into clearly-intended-for-adults-only nights. Shannon was happy to find something for them to run off and do well in advance. As much as she wanted Jethro to feel free to find happiness in a healthy relationship, there was only so much she cared to watch." - I was not sure whether to go EW! there or smile at the bossman's dates.
"Every day, Jethro's mission was to either spare a fellow soldier or their family the pain he'd endured or to deliver the comfort of justice. He was doing a lot of good in the world. Shannon couldn't have been more proud. Neither could Ann Gibbs, who regularly came by to dote on Shannon and Kelly in between her Stillwater social club gatherings." - Yay! for Gibbs. Hey there, Ann.
"it reduced Shannon to giggles when she happened to ask Anastasia for the best piece of advice she could offer from her vast experiences. "Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. Also, never tell that joke at a Donner party." Shannon had never been fond of bad puns. But the irreverence and the sheer bizarre quality of an already bad joke provided some much-needed comic relief, on a day that had been rough. It would have been her twentieth wedding anniversary, and instead of celebrating in her husband's arms, she was stuck on an otherworldly plane watching him drink alone in his basement. Ann understood. She had hugged Shannon tightly, telling her, "You don't always get what you want, or even what you deserve. Sometimes you get what you got." And then they'd shared a slice of apple pie with chocolate sauce and everything seemed a little bit easier to handle." - AW, especially at Shannon and Anastasia eating their apple pie the way Ann Gibbs and her son does.
"Shannon had always wondered why Jethro's attempts to cheer her or Kelly had often involved adding chocolate to something already sweet. Kelly had been keen to take up the habit, and in a world where food was for fun and not nutrition, Shannon saw no reason to deny her. So when they missed Jethro or a friend was in trouble or they found themselves disheartened by the circumstances in which another had joined them, Kelly's solution was simple. "Put a little chocolate sauce on it, Mommy?" Ann had been onto something. Applied with love, it truly was a band-aid for the soul." - AW!
"Something special had happened along the way. After Mike retired, Shannon really thought Ducky was going to be Jethro's only friend. He had team members come and go, more going than coming. Then came a smartass Baltimore cop named DiNozzo. Abby, the eccentric forensic scientist with a passion for life even Jethro couldn't ignore. Soon, he became the mentor. And the father figure. Abby had lost her father. Jethro lost Kelly. And soon it became obvious they were finding surrogates in each other." - AW!
"Kelly had a knack for predicting which team members would stick around for the long haul, and those who earned her affection were granted the title of "Auntie" or "Uncle." She adored Mike and Ducky. And when she started referring to Tony and Abby as her brother and sister, Shannon couldn't help but smile and agree that Kelly was onto something. She loved Abby especially, and Shannon was grateful, because she'd worried Kelly might get jealous. Abby was only a few years older than Kelly would have been if she'd lived. Her Goth style reminded Shannon of Anastasia, and Shannon was sure it was no coincidence that her spirit guide – for lack of a better description – and Jethro's "daughter of the heart" shared so many characteristics." - AW!
"And though she would have loved to have her family together, she knew the sad outcome if she and Kelly hadn't died. The folded flag pressed into her hands. The other military families that would have had to suffer the same loss. The unsolved cases whose families would never know peace. The universe knew what it was doing," - AW!
"And sweet, shy Tim. Kelly loved him. Except he never got the "brother" title. When Shannon had asked about it, the answer seemed obvious in retrospect. "Because he's Abby's boyfriend, Mommy!" Kelly, like most little girls, was all about the romance. Even when Tim and Abby decided to become friends rather than lovers, Kelly was still rooting for them." - AW!
"When Ari started taking shots at Abby and Ziva revealed that she knew about Gibbs' family, it was clear Ari was using his vendetta in the most twisted way possible – going after women to remind Jethro of the guilt he felt over not being there to protect his girls. And that made Shannon hate him all the more." - You are not the only one who hates Ari, Shannon.
11/5/2012 c1 10Carcy
Ohh this was very sweet, I loved it! Would love to see some related pieces for Tony with his mom watching him, or Tali for Ziva. Or even Ari after he got shot, I've always thought he was an interesting, complex character! :)
11/4/2012 c1 1EJ Barrett
OMG, so glad this was a one-shot, lol! I did cry all the way through it. I don't think it was too over the top at all; I think it was a very sweet story. Thanks for writing it!
11/3/2012 c1 8aslanbrooke
OMG, this was wonderful! I almost cried.