FanFiction.Net
for A Light of Darkness

12/11/2012 c2 41CrackinAndProudOfIt
I love your explanation of the scenario in the pits of Isengard depicted in the movie; it was logical, and tied in well with the theme of the chapter. You analyze very well so many concepts about the Uruk-hai that we are familiar with by name but don't often pause to consider.

As with the last chapter, this was extremely well-written; you use very effective imagery and language to describe both the setting and Rakhan's emotions.
-Crackers :)
12/11/2012 c1 CrackinAndProudOfIt
Wow, this is certainly a very intriguing topic! I've never before read a story so sympathetic to the Orcs, typically being someone who views them as simply machines, incapable of positive emotions. However, I really love your take on this Uruk's "human" side!

Your vivid, eloquent writing makes the entire scenario extremely plausible, and the way you address one of the biggest debates in Tolkien's legendarium, the morality and essence of the Orcs, is very well-executed. You give a balanced depiction of Saruman and Sauron's respective dominion over their thralls compared with these same creatures' individuality.

Good work thus far, and I'm off to the next chapter! :)
-Crackers
12/11/2012 c6 6Auset's Tears
Thank you everyone for the reviews! I'm sorry for what typos there are... like it should be "tried to tear him apart" and flack instead of flask, lead for led, etc... I've just discovered that when i edit my stories it doesnt post the changes...

I'm glad you all like the story, and thank you for the constructive criticism as well, it really helps! I will post more story soon with another type of Middle Earth creature making an appearance!
12/11/2012 c6 11Wordspin
Lovely chapter. It had a certain sweetness to it. Imagining an Uruk sweeping the floor was definitely an entertaining image (especially if he's accessorised with an apron and bandana :p); and Gaelen was simply adorable.

12/10/2012 c1 Ruanis
Wow! This is breathtakingly beautiful! If you can make me like an Uruk-Hai, you can do anything! I dont have much time to write a proper review, i'll do that later! Just know that this is an awesome piece of work! Keep it up!
12/10/2012 c6 31FireChildSlytherin5
Awesome chapter. :)
12/10/2012 c5 11Wordspin
This chapter provided with some nice insight further into Eolina's past. Looking forward to the next one.
12/10/2012 c4 Wordspin
A beautifully descriptive chapter. It was nice to know a bit more about the boy and his mother. And Rakhan has some very good manners and courteous speech for an Uruk who has never known love or kindness, but I'm not complaining. :)

12/10/2012 c3 Wordspin
The fight sequence was quite well-written. And those last paragraphs after the revelation of the woman and boy's relationship were very poignant.
I noticed the word "Rohirric" in this chapter; so, you can now disregard my previous comment. :)

12/10/2012 c2 Wordspin
Another fascinating chapter. I am now very much intrigued by the woman and the boy, too. Again, the exploration into Rakhan's emotions was quite beautifully done. And the cliffhanger at the end only increased my wanting to read on!

A bit of nitpicking, again, I'm afraid. "Rakhan climbed stealthy..." (should be "stealthily"); there's a missing comma after "But if she was unaware...".
Concerning the language of the Rohirrim, Tolkien himself never seemed to use a single word to name it, like he did, for example, with the language of the Teleri - "Telerin"; he did use the adjective "rohanese" in an essay, although said adjective did not refer to language. The term "Rohirric", coined by Robert Foster seems to be the most popular term for naming the language of the Rohirrim, and that's what most people use.

12/10/2012 c1 Wordspin
This is my first time reading an Uruk-hair fanfic, and I thought I'd check this one out because of a post asking for feedback posted in AzureSkye and Crackers's forum. I'm of the opinion that every story deserves feedback, and now I am glad I decided to read this.

Your writing style is beautiful. The descriptions were simply wonderful, so vivid and three-dimensional. I was frankly stunned by how much human you made Rakhan seem, delving beneath the rough, unbecoming exterior of an Uruk to seek and bring something softer to the surface. The battling emotions within him as he decides to leave his former life behind and start anew, to live a life without unnecessary violence, were portrayed in a most wonderful way. The process of his "rebirth" was shown clearly; and the scene with the doe and her baby played a great part in that.

Only a few slip-ups caught my attention. At one point, "Amon Hen" was misspelled "Amun Hen"; "gullys" should be "gullies". In "No oneā€”orc or man or elf..." and "But who else kept horses, save men and elves?", the words "orc", "man/men", "elf/elves" should be capitalised since they refer to a race.

I'm off to read the next chapter!
Certh
12/8/2012 c5 31FireChildSlytherin5
Thanks for letting me know of this story. Its awesome. :)
12/8/2012 c3 3Scylla's revenge
I love this story so far! It's very unique and it reminds me of Frankenstein a bit, where the monster hides and watches a happy secluded family and tries to understand them.
I can't wait for the next chapter!
12/8/2012 c3 LOTRfan
I am really enjoying this fanfic as there are not many that focus on the Uruk-Hai and what they could become if not under the influence of Sauramon or Sauron. I like your quick updates and hope you keep up with this story.
12/7/2012 c1 Rafiki
It's really good! I hope it's not finished yet!:-)
120 « Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8