for At the Heart of All Things

12/30/2012 c1 Huggles
Wow... Just wow...
Who would have thought that Ozai and Zuko could be so similar. If you think about it, it actually makes sense. A child wanting it's father's love.
12/30/2012 c1 3DarkPoet89
Well now...stop making Ozai human to me DX I can't put that kid next to the harbinger of death that is the last firelord of the old Regime.

...Amazing story plot though
12/28/2012 c1 5Copyrightdragon
Aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwww! D: Poor Ozai, I almost cried! And Iroh had no idea? No wonder he treats Zuko so terribly! You'd think that at least Iroh'd tell him at some point after he broke the mold w/ his failure at the Siege of Ba Sing Se and went his own way in life?

Sorry if I'm not making any sense. For me, emotional faux pas, lol. Anyway, overall, I think this was great, though for an explanation I think it'd be better if you described what happened w/ Ozai's big brother. You said you'd cover it in "Fire and Ice", though, so that's fine. As a standalone, though, it still leaves much to be desired.
12/28/2012 c1 6ShoeNinja
First, I'm sad that the stupid Search comic means I don't get to read all that Urzai you wrote. But even so, this was a very intriguing look into Ozai's childhood and the root of so many of his "issues"...I don't think I've ever read a story where the possibility of a third royal sibling was explored. It's also fascinating that your headcanon Ozai had a tender heart and sought solace with stuffed toys and turtleducks. The way you write this, it fits.
12/28/2012 c1 80JackieStarSister
I read the first few sentences, and then it clicked: Ooohhhh. I remember Ozai mentioned having another brother, in one of Katara's spirit dreams. I had wondered why you'd make up a detail like that … and now I know why. Azulon spoke of "the pain of losing a firstborn son" in the series.

This was really interesting. I like that you provided an explanation for why/how Ozai became such a powerful bender, even creating lightning … It's almost incredibly ironic, how Ozai doesn't want to be the kind of father Azulon was, only to have history repeat itself anyway.
12/28/2012 c1 16WildestHeart4ever
How do you do it? How can you make me feel so bad for this guy? 8(
I've gone to smiling like a fangirl to frowning sadly in just about the past few minutes
I love you're work :3
12/28/2012 c1 5SpiritGaurdian108
This is a really interesting insight into Ozai's early life. The series portrayed him as nothing more than a heartless, power hungry, villain so that the people of the fandom have to make their own head canon to give him some depth... Also it totally reminds me of this ?qOzaiturtleduck#/d1e6rks I couldn't stop laughing.
12/28/2012 c1 2SkyeVerya
Okay, let's try this again, now that I'm actually logged in...
This made me really sad, but also added a lot to a character that we don't know much about. It actually made me feel sorry for Ozai (which I have never in my life felt before), and I thought it added a lot of depth to him. It think it makes me somewhat understand his motivation for doing what he did, both in the show and in what's to come in Fire and Ice. Can't wait to see how this plays into your Fire and Ice universe.
12/28/2012 c1 Guest
That's really sad, but it adds a whole new dynamic to Ozai's character that really makes sense. This was a really interesting take on a character that I honestly haven't thought much about, and it almost makes me wonder what background the creators made up for him. Can't wait to see how this plays into Fire and Ice.
12/28/2012 c1 6painterofemotions
This was a thoughtful and well-written work of art! It's a shame not too many stories delve into Ozai's back story, there's so much we don't know about him and it's sad ATLA doesn't go into more detail. I think for better flow, it would have been nice to add scene breaks, so the readers can more easily shift their focus from one event to another. It also would have been nice to see what effect 100 Year War had on young Ozai (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Ozai grew up during the war). This maybe influenced his morbid and misguided moral choices later during his reign.
Also, from seeing the way the royal family interacts with each other, I think the term, 'dad' is informal for them. Remember, because they are royalty, they were instructed to speak formally and considering Ozai's character in ATLA we can assume he also expected formality from his children. The Fire Nation seems like a place where there is huge emphasis placed on 'etiquette', so don't be afraid to make it seem so. Zuko and Azula throughout the whole of the series never once referred to their father as 'dad' (correct me if I'm wrong now, don't let me be ignorant lol). I hope it didn't seem like I'm tearing apart your story! I'm not! I love it! Anyway, I loved this one-shot. You did an amazing job!
12/28/2012 c1 5saphhicandsavage
Huh... never thought about Ozai that way... Maybe his trouble with bending is why he's so hard on Zuko?

And I read so much stuff about Avatar so I forgot who said this, but I read a headcanon somewhere that said Ozai favored his second child because he himself felt neglected by Azulon...

On another note, I love this story and I should add it to my own little collection of headcanons.

Now to read and review your second oneshot... I bet it'll be just as great, if not better than this one(:
12/27/2012 c1 Lillian A-M Waff
I like it, though it made me cry... I liked and I think you take an interesting perspective on Ozai's life.
12/27/2012 c1 42WildCitrusSunflower
I thought that it was awesome! You should do more like this.
12/27/2012 c1 Senor Tree
Merci mon ami ive always loved Ozai et this petit fic shows us all he was at one point human mais its sad that he in away turned out like his pere Azulon.
MAIS it also shows us Ozai et Zukos similarities as a child.
Merci again et please do write more about Ozai :)
12/27/2012 c1 Guest