for On His Hand

11/10/2020 c1 Al
Love it! You capture both characters marvelously!
3/19/2019 c1 SweetheartSoldier
I've never considered how Gollum's time in Mordor might have gone, but this seems to fit perfectly. I especially love how he recognized Sauron!
6/7/2018 c1 7Arsacid
"There was his Precious, the sight he had longed for more than anything else, but there it was upon another Hand."

I can almost feel the pain Gollum does; the Ring was what corrupted him to the point of him becoming a wretch, hating it beyond measure but having nothing to live for without it.

Also, I love how you've portrayed Sauron here; personified instead of abstract but cloaked in mystery and a terror to behold. Closest thing to the Tolkien spirit I've read in fanfiction. Eagerly awaiting more like this...
11/2/2017 c1 1Arizeri
Very nice when Gollum feels the familiarity of Sauron's presence and the moment when Gollum realizes it was the Ring. Also I note Sauron was amused by Gollum? Glad Sauron can still feel amused by something. Well written and interesting to compare this to Gorthaur Estel (which you should totally update btw) Sauron from ages past.
5/24/2017 c1 27Lydwina Marie
Oh my, good job! This was so well done! I love the dialogue and the descriptions!
1/24/2017 c1 Al
Wonderful! Great imagination here!
1/1/2016 c1 4Marfacat
This was really good. I liked how in-character it was, and the descriptions were wonderful. Excellent work!
4/15/2014 c1 32GuesssWho
I always felt so sorry for Gollum, and now Sauron seems almost as sad.
9/15/2013 c1 Deleted Account Pending Remove
This is just chillingly good. I have the shivers now. Your writing is so intense! I think this is one of the best stories you've ever written, and that is very, very high praise. Wow. Of course, this would be so much worse for Gollum than anything else that could possibly be done to him. The mention of comparison to weeks of hunger was especially vivid. You've captured it beautifully, though that's an odd adjective for me to use about something so dark. But it's true. Reading this story gives me the same feeling I might have if Michelangelo had done a painting of this scene and I got to see it. Every curve, every line, every image, dazzlingly portraying a vividly intense subject in perfect, crystalline detail and clarity.

Your power to evoke a violent scene without graphic description now borders on the unbelievable. Not only haven't you written anything gory, but you haven't caused my mind to conjure up specific violence that's beside the point. Instead, you have forcefully conveyed the -feeling- of the scene. The experience Gollum had. The pain behind his longing for the Ring, and Sauron's matching pain. Very interestingly done.

Writing Gollum's speech patterns can be tricky. You've done very well here. My favorite is where you said,

-"No, no, it's ours- Yes, we will bring it to the Master," Gollum sobbed.-

Poor Gollum! He always fights with that contradiction and two-sided stuff, doesn't he?

I've always thought, or I read somewhere, that Tolkien left Sauron out of direct view for most of LOTR so he would be more shadowy and ominous, not limited to a face-to-face portrayal, but could take on as vast and shadowy a shape as the reader's mind imagined. I think you've done excellent work here in bringing him right out to center stage while not diminishing, but rather invoking and building on, his same complex grandeur. I literally felt the dark pressure of his presence in my own mind, just from reading it. What Gollum felt would have to be immense.

I love this story. It's deep, fascinating, and polished to sharp clarity. This must be what looking into a Palantir would feel like. You've outdone your vastly talented self. This story is going in my favorites, and I'm glad I found this jewel. It's worthy to be set beside the work of FĂ«anor.

-Lysana
6/29/2013 c1 420Aria Breuer
Well, this is a good gap-filler. I know we don't see this in the books, about Gollum being tortured at Barad-dur by Sauron and his Orcs. You did well keeping Gollum and Sauron in-character as well, even though Sauron may be trickier to keep in character.

Nonetheless, you did well writing this story.

-Aria Breuer
5/5/2013 c1 9Bushwah
Reading it aloud, I noticed a 'takes' where it would better be 'takeses'.

Also, the way the Sauron's presence reminded him of the RIng's, the way the story itself was so painful to see and I never wanted it to end... you captured something about the Ring that Tolkien himself merely implied.
4/2/2013 c1 Guest
Type your review here...
3/22/2013 c1 7Xandra Fox
Really beautiful work. I imagine it would be difficult to get inside Gollum's head and write from his perspective, but you nailed it! The way you portrayed his tie to both the ring and Sauron's will was absolutely spot on. And the emotions...dang, I feel so bad for poor Gollum. D:

[it remained hanging over him like a burning eye, a dark sun whose heat gave no life, but destroyed all it touched.] Descriptions like this made me feel like I was reading something straight from Tolkein. I was able to imagine the entire scene so vividly.

You rock. Seriously. Keep on writing! :)
2/8/2013 c1 16Abbl2
This was wonderful! Recently, I have had a strange, but real interest in Gollum, and this has really captured everything that Gollum is. You are a brilliant writer. Everything seemed to flow naturally and it sounded like Gollum, not the badly overdone creepy and evil Gollum; not the sad and pathetic Gollum, but tolkiens Gollum. I liked his interaction when the ring was on the dark lords finger. I could imagine the pulsing of his mind when the dark lord took over. You have earned yourself a favorite.
1/12/2013 c1 2bakaindisguise