for Be My Valentine

8/15/2017 c1 AprDon
Adorable!
7/22/2017 c1 11lyricsaboutcats
This embodies everything I love about fanfic: fluff, a rare pair, and a wonderful sense of optimism. I really enjoyed the part where they escape the party together, and when Sparatus goes full valentine with the box of chocolates. Very adorable to read! :)
11/27/2016 c1 charlotte
I love this! currently writing my own femshep/sparatus fanfic. Just would love a sequel to this :)
10/28/2016 c1 2RyderofClouds
Awwww this was so sweet! Loved it!
4/27/2014 c1 7MelShep
This is brilliant, I've never really read any fanfic about Sparatus, but I'm so glad I did. You gave so much depth to this character in your usual brilliant way :)
10/30/2013 c1 10Lola99
Aw, this was so adorable. :) There's a part in ME3, during the Citadel DLC, when you can tell Jack and Miranda to just make out and get it over with. I always felt like my Shep should of just said that to Sparatus.
6/23/2013 c1 6GreenYoda987
I love this story! It’s so sweet and incredibly well written! The entire story flows really well and nothing feels forced at all. And I loved your characterization of Sparatus! I really did. There were moments where he reminded me of Garrus with his awkwardness and nervousness, but at the same time, he managed to stay in character and it felt so honest!

There was one part where I had a “Garrus!” moment and it was just so amazing, because I feel like it really showed the effort Sparatus went into figure out what this “Valentine’s Day” thing was. The bit where he said “Shepard, I, uh, did some research, and…” was just so very perfect! It so much like the Garrus romance in ME2, except Sparatus is like trying to woo and be sweet to Shepard rather than just trying to not mess up when he gets her in bed – which is what, I expect, Garrus was researching. ;) And then when you said “…his mind feverishly racing over the possible outcomes his extranet search had come up with,” I had another Garrus squeal moment! It was like when Garrus says “Uh… the vids mentioned something like that…” and it was just so perfect. It really was. I love how you threw in little bits here and there like that but still managed to keep Sparatus as his own character. :)

One of the main things that really helped keep Sparatus in character was his short little one-liners! Like “Indeed,” and “Captain,” and “I’d like that.” I could really hear all of those lines, and all his other lines, in his voice and it was just amazing how you were able to do that. Especially the “Indeed,” line… that, in Sparatus’s rumbling voice… that was yummy. :)

I also loved how you had the conversation go between the two of them about relationships and everything. Sparatus’s little question, “So you’re, uh, untouched?” was just perfect! It was so… professional; like he didn’t know quite how to go about asking that question and what the proper protocol on this sort of conversation was. And I loved how you kept throwing in little bits about how Sparatus used to doubt her at every turn, and how Shepard used to be a thorn in his side. That really helped make their transition feel really real. And I liked how, after a bit of hesitation, Sparatus admits that “it gets… lonely… sometimes.” I just loved that whole transition.

And… I want a sequel! I want a sequel so very bad! Please, pretty please?! There are so many things that were in this chapter that just hint at how good a sequel could be! Like the bit about her breaking through the door and Sparatus thinking that he hopes she never has the “desire to hack into his own office.” I can so see Shepard doing this… I really can. And Sparatus just being like “Ah, Shepard… to what do I owe this pleasure?” And then when Sparatus says, all nervously, “I… hope you’ll come back soon. I would like to, ah, talk to you again.” And then when he had to suppress the urge to “pick her up and nuzzle her neck, then nibble her earlobe and run his tongue over it.” All of these just scream sequel! They really do. It’s so perfectly set up for it!

But, sequel or not, this was such a sweet story! I loved it so much and you did a great job creating such an honest, innocent, partnership between the two of them. The both deserve someone to share their troubles, stresses, and worries with, and I loved seeing how you managed to really put them on the same level, where they were almost equals in this little story. Shepard isn’t the young, hotheaded Commander anymore, and Sparatus is finally seeing that. I loved the dynamic between them! I really did! This was a great little story! LOVED it!
2/21/2013 c1 SanguineSky
Oh my god, that was so damn adorable! Totally awesome one-shot!

*Favorited*
2/16/2013 c1 62LibraMoon
Okay, that was truly awesome. I never thought of this pair before, but now I really enjoy it. I liked your pacing and ending. Fantastic job.
2/14/2013 c1 14Author-Of-Sin
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
I LOVE Sparatus/femshep stuff. Like, REALLY love it. Almost as much as Shakarian. And this was super sweeeeet! I'd love to see *cough* more of this. :D *wink wink nudge nudge* XD
2/13/2013 c1 CyanB
I don't ship this, but it's delightfully charming!
2/12/2013 c1 LilVy
Awww... this was so sweet! Nicely done!
2/12/2013 c1 65Suilven
This story is just so much 'awwwww...' and left me with the biggest, goofiest smile on my face. I have a total soft spot for Sparatus and this was so sweet.

I love the melancholy in Shepard here:

"Sparatus cast a sideways glance at her, expecting her to make some witty remark about how unusual it was for them to actually agree on something, but she was quiet, absorbed in her own thoughts as she bent over the ledge, resting her elbows on the cool surface as she turned her attention back to the scenery in front of them. They stood side by side in companionable silence for a while, until he couldn't bear it anymore, and asked, against his better judgment, "Shepard. Are you all right?"

"Hmm? Why do you ask?"

"You look... it seems like something is bothering you."

She straightened up and looked into his eyes with a sad smile and, instead of answering his enquiry, she put forth a question of her own. "Do you have a mate, Sparatus?"

"What?" His eyes widened and his mandibles went slack; this conversation had suddenly taken an entirely unexpected turn.

"Sorry, didn't mean to pry." She rubbed the back of her neck in embarrassment, then went on, "It's just that... there was this reporter... asking some questions, and it got me thinking."

"About what?"

"Love... life... duty.""

This made me laugh:

""So you're, uh, untouched?"

"What? No!" Her eyes snapped back to him with an awkward chuckle and she could feel her face getting so hot that she thought it was going to burst into flames; was she really discussing her love life with Sparatus, of all people? What the hell was she thinking?"

And I loved this bit (plus the two of them sneaking out):

" She was certain that he was about to make some insulting remark about humans and their emotions then stalk off with a shake of his head, but he just stood there, looking at her with what seemed like sincere interest and understanding, so she took a deep breath and went on, "I had... umm... some encounters here and there, but it's not easy to have a serious, ongoing relationship when you never know where your next assignment is going to take you. It would be hard for a civilian to accept that, and there are strict rules against fraternization in the military. So I've spent all these years fighting for everybody else, and now..."

Her voice trailed off and her eyes lost their focus on the councilor, searching the patterns of the floor at her feet instead, and for the first time since he'd known her Sparatus felt like he'd finally met the real Shepard—not the reckless and disrespectful human, or the all-powerful savior of the galaxy, but a regular person with emotions and needs—needs he could identify with.

"I... understand," he started, a bit reluctantly, not sure whether it was wise to share personal details of his life with the same person who used to be a thorn in his side, but he couldn't stop himself. It wasn't every day that he could share thoughts of this nature with someone—someone who would know exactly what it was like to sacrifice your own desires for the common good. "Being a politician, and especially a councilor, has similar... restrictions, and, uh, drawbacks. I've dedicated my life to serving the Hierarchy and the galaxy. It gets... lonely... sometimes."

"Yeah." She looked into his eyes with a sad smile, but her heart suddenly felt a little warmer. Maybe Sparatus wasn't so irritating after all; apparently they had more in common than she'd ever realized. She was actually sorry to end their conversation, but it was getting late, so she reluctantly pushed away from the balustrade and nodded her head towards the doors. "Well, I should get back to my ship, so—""

And then melting into a turian cuteness puddle:

"When he finally strolled into her quarters she managed to keep her eyes on her datapad for a few seconds before she looked up at him. He was wearing a nice suit, which, she had to admit, fitted him quite well, and he was carrying an official looking briefcase. She couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed that apparently this was only about some secret Council assignment or something, but when he reached inside the case and took out a big heart-shaped box of chocolate, all covered in luxurious crimson velvet, she almost fell out of her chair.

"Shepard, I, uh, did some research, and... I know I'm not a human, but I was wondering..." He put the briefcase down and stepped closer, offering the box to her with a nervous twitch of his mandibles. "Will you be my Valentine?"

Her eyes opened wide and her mouth hang in astonishment; she'd seen these kinds of things on vids before, but nobody had ever done something like this for her—and she certainly never would have expected it to come from the turian Councilor. But here he was, presenting her with an enormous box of Valentine's Day candy, looking as shy and nervous as she herself felt at this moment, and she couldn't hold back the huge grin that started to spread across her face."

Love, love, love.
2/12/2013 c1 11voltagelisa
YES! I am so dancing for joy right now, another Sparatus fic. I love it. Hope to see more of him. You've made my day.
2/12/2013 c1 31barbex