for A Scandal on Beta Colony

12/27/2019 c1 Diane Taylor
The thing I appreciate the most about your stories is that they are genuinely clever. They are a tribute to both Ms. Bujold's and ACD's writing. I can't tell you how seldom it is that I read a story, especially a piece of fanfic, and think "that was really clever" about whatever the main character is doing. I find myself doing it quite often with your writing.

I also appreciate the value of the-plan-goes-sideways, which forces a lot of improvisation. Very Milesian.

Loved the Porcine Exhibit, and the fact that Mark is trying to funnel the news through Sherlock.
2/11/2019 c1 29Temple Cloud
Oooh - at first it seemed excessively unethical to spread rumours that Gains Goodness's meat was made from dead animals, but then it turned out to be true - even if this was just coincidence! Or maybe it wasn't - at the prices they were charging, Mark had already worked out that their food wasn't from vat-grown meat, and couldn't be from organically reared animals in good living conditions, either - factory farming is so much cheaper. Nice link into 'A Civil Campaign', too.

I wonder whether Barrayaran Mycroft looks more like Mycroft as described by Arthur Conan Doyle (i.e. at least as obese as Mark Vorkosigan), or as played by Mark Gatiss in the BBC series? Your writing suggests the former. Given the parallel sibling rivalry between Miles and Mark Vorkosigan, and between Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes (emphasised more in the TV series - Mycroft appears in only a few of Conan Doyle's stories that I can recall), there's a lot to play with here.

Bujold and Conan Doyle both seemed interested in the way that being siblings pushes people in opposite directions, so that Mark chooses the life of a galactic businessman because working for the Barrayaran government (even as a civilian data analyst, rather than a soldier or policeman) would be too similar to Miles's new role as an Imperial Auditor. Similarly, Sherlock (particularly as described in the earlier stories) decided to be a specialist who was an expert only on things useful to solving crimes in London, because Mycroft was already filling the role of generalist so successfully that there wasn't room to compete. On the other hand, later on Sherlock's range of interests widens considerably, partly because he's realised that you can't know in advance what sort of information will or will not be useful (and perhaps because Watson had managed to explain to him that the brain doesn't function like a drawer over-stuffed with junk, but like a muscle that needs regular exercise), and partly because, once Watson had persuaded him to stop doing drugs, he took up studying esoteric subjects as a substitute addiction for when there weren't any interesting crimes to solve.

In the third section of your story (when Mark arrives on Beta Colony) the first 5 or 6 paragraphs (depending on how you divide them) get repeated. Was this intentional (to emphasise things) or an accident?
1/23/2018 c1 Pegeen
Clever and very funny piece. Mark and Kareen are two of my favourite characters and good to see them at work. Needed proof reading unfortunately.
7/13/2015 c1 Guest
Snerk. I like Kareen's horrible mental image when she heard Mark's "explaination" of Irene Adler. (If my mental image of Mycroft is anywhere close to reality, and if Irene was "doing" Mycroft, wouldn't she have to be on top so that he wouldn't squish her?) The Betan version of Snopes was interesting, too.
5/19/2014 c1 RevDorothyL
Desperately in need of proof-reading (many mis-spellings, switched homophones, and unintended duplications), but such a gripping tale and a wonderful concept that I almost didn't mind! Well-thought-out and imagined, with the characters spot on.
3/18/2014 c1 umbrarchist
Need to use spell check.
10/21/2013 c1 triggerpoints
Perfect!
7/19/2013 c1 178Susan M. M
The idea of Irene Adler as Baronne of a Jacksonian house is frightening. Frighteningly plausible.
2/14/2013 c1 joniskpelare
I love this cross. Very nice.