for In the Company of Strangers

7/9/2013 c16 Guest
I absolutely love this story, and am very interested in a sequel!
7/9/2013 c16 PelirrojaBiu
Fantastic chapter! Your style is impeccable. The only thing I worry about is that the "real" Charles Blake might turn out a boring jerk come September and Season 4 and then what will we do? Such a contrast with this fantastic character you've created.
7/9/2013 c16 4cowherderess
"Cat"! That is adorable. That whole scene was just wonderful. And I'm glad to see Charles and Tom becoming friends-they both must be rather lonely...

Mr Roquefort is awful, but it gave Mary/you the chance to be very funny in the beginning so I don't mind! I loved those lines: "You are a person quite impossible to forget, no matter how strenuously one may attempt to do so." and "Not all of us are blessed with a natural dullness of temperament and mind as you have been."

I would definitely be interested in a sequel! :)
7/8/2013 c11 PelirrojaBiu
I mostly read this story on my fan fiction app on my phone so unfortunately I can't write a separate review after each chapter (or maybe I can, but I'm too stupid to find out how). Anyway... Wow. Just wow. Bravo. I can't believe this story has only 180 reviews, it deserves 10 times more. Beautiful, beautiful writing. The best thing about it is the fact that I actually hear the actors' voices (Michelle's especially) when I read it. This is how good your writing is. Fantastic job, can't wait to read more!
7/6/2013 c16 4viscountessmary
I just got back home less than two days ago and I finally sat down and read your last three chapters all in one sitting - and what a wonderful reading that was! I know I always say this, but you're such a gifted writer! I actually love how Mary and Charles quickly opened up to each other and how flirty they've been acting... It's a nice contrast to Mary and Matthew's troubled beginning. It's also really nice to see Mary finally understanding that Matthew would want her to be happy and allowing herself to find a little peace again at last, as well as seeing Charles so protective of her. I absolutely love how their relationship pregressed in those last couple of chapters; how they admit that they don't really know what to do with one another, but how they also want to be around each other. That was some brilliant writing!
Oh, and I can't forget to mention how much I adore the way you write Mary as a mother. It's actually how I've always envisioned her.
What a perfect little universe you've created. Cheers!
Ps: I'm glad to read that you had a blast on your trip. Have a wonderful weekend! :D Xx
7/3/2013 c16 Downton fan
Yes please please write a sequel! As long as Mary and Charles are end game, then YES, by all means, write a sequel! Beautiful chapter as always. Can't wait to read the next one! Next Thursday can't come soon enough!
7/5/2013 c16 103847
Okay, so the new guy wasn't Anthony Gillingham, but it was a rat! You were spot-on in giving him the last name of Roquefort; that man stinks like old cheese for sure. That heated exchange between him and Charles brought the one between Matthew and Richard Carlisle to mind - Charles does remind me of Matthew in the way he vehemently defends Mary's honor, and Edward Roquefort is smilingly nasty enough to recall Richard's acerbic barbs and manipulative persona. Although I have to say, I don't know what would have happened had Robert stopped this fight like the other one. It was good diplomacy on your part to have Tom break up the fight before it actually happened - having been in a few fights himself, Tom would know how to prevent one from happening, and in front of the family at that. It was a great segue into the dialogue between him and Charles, and the development of their friendship - excellent touch to have them bond over mutual loss; I knew they'd have a lot in common, both having lost their wives and bearing such respect for Mary (although Tom's is definitely more brotherly). In the words of Humphrey Bogart, "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Now, about that observation... I first thought it might be the fact that the duchess looks like Lavinia, but I'm more willing to bet that it's the fact that Mary's considering pursuing the courtship with Charles not only for herself, but for George as well. For all people claim that she's a selfish, cold woman, I know that Mary would not only be thinking of her own happiness in this situation; she'd be thinking about what's best for her son, and you handle it so beautifully. George is the future Earl of Grantham as of now, and he needs a good, steady, strong father figure in his life to teach him everything it takes to not only manage an estate (although his Grandfather Robert will certainly teach him that), but to be a good man. Charles may not be the next Earl of Grantham, but he is an aristocrat with an estate of his own, and he certainly will be able to teach George everything he needs to know in life, should everything work out between him and Mary.

Keep up the wonderful work as always! God bless!
7/5/2013 c16 4ZoeyBridget
Another lovely chapter - Charles is such a fully realized character, which is really saying something because we have visuals for so many of the others. I'm sure I'm adding my voice to many who would love to see a sequel to this story - I would certainly like to see how this relationship develops, both with Mary/Charles and George/Charles. And the weaselly Mr. Roquefort is great fun! Lastly, I really like how you are portraying Tom Branson in this - I think this is realistically how he would behave toward Mary in this scenario. Well done!
7/4/2013 c16 GenuineRisk
Yes. I would read any story in this universe! ;)
7/4/2013 c16 Audrey C
Another wonderful chapter! I can understand why you would put in a nasty house guest like Roquefort. Better to contrast with Charles. He truly is a knight in shinning armor. Loved their realistic conversation at the end and George calling Charles "cat." Looking forward to the development of their relationship. I would most certainly support a sequel to this story!
7/3/2013 c16 7Lady-Finwe
wow this is just getting better and better
7/3/2013 c16 8trinadeckers
FINALLY MADE IT THROUGH A CHAPTER WITHOUT CRYING. I only got a little misty eyed at the end, Mary always breaks my heart. This was such a lovely chapter, and if season four doesn't go this way I may throw a fit...a very Lady Mary like fit.

I am a huge supporter for a sequel! Go for it, you have the talent and such a wonderful grasp on these characters and you bring to life the ones we have yet to meet. A sequel would just be lovely.
7/3/2013 c16 Downton Lover
Another great chapter! I'm so glad that Mary is ready to finally let Charles in and that they are both acknowledging that this relationship is something that that want to go forward with. I also really loved the conversation between Tom and Charles. It showed how close Tom and Mary have become. I'm just afraid that now that things seem so good between Mary and Charles, that you will throw some obstacle in between them. Looking forward to your next chapter next week.
7/3/2013 c16 Wivikefan
Omg. So glad you posted this story early as I wasn't going to get to read it till Sunday otherwise. Once again beautifully written. I love this story and am definitely in the camp of you writing the sequel. I see so many emotions and traps and happiness that could play out in it. So Yes Yes Yes. Please write a sequel.
7/3/2013 c16 7Eternally Romantic
Sequel, sequel, sequel! Of course! Not even a question. I loved this chapter!
463 « Prev Page 1 .. 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 .. Last Next »