for In the Company of Strangers

5/9/2013 c9 Audrey C
Great long chapter. Love their conversation about the suit. So looking forward to the party. Keep up the good work!
5/9/2013 c9 2jenninthecity
Even though everyone was telling me I had to start reading this story, I held off the longest time. I thought it would be too hard. I read the first two chapters a few weeks ago and then stuck a pin in them because I was drawn in, fascinated by the handsome stranger on the train and then felt odd about beginning to ship Mary with someone else.

Last night, I read up to chapter 8 and was delighted to find chapter 9 in my inbox when I woke this morning. You've created such a realistic world that I'm going to be severely disappointed when I can't actually see this on my screen in January. Mr. Blake is well-drawn and still mysterious. His interactions with Mary have me anxious and excited at the same time. If I trusted TPTB to create such a delightful character to get to know Mary as she grieves Matthew, I might be more excited for season 4.

The scene of Mr. Blake holding George as they sleep and then Mary wishing it was Matthew tugged at my heart until I was a bit teary-eyed at the office just now. As much as Matthew may live on in AU fic, in the actual Downton universe, Matthew will never nurse his child back to health and that's hard to take for me, just like Mary. Thank you for creating a version of the Downton universe where it's okay to be conflicted, but there's hope for the future.
5/9/2013 c9 7Eternally Romantic
I am truly enjoying this story so far. Can't wait to read more!
5/9/2013 c9 Downton Lover
A wonderful chapter as always. You write these characters so beautifully. I can't wait to see what happens at the house party.
5/9/2013 c9 Wivikefan
I get so excited when I see another chapter posted and I have to read it right away. I have said before but I just love how in character that you write everyone. I love your writing style. Can't wait for the next chapter.
5/9/2013 c9 iLLaine
A sweet chapter (first scene is so so lovely)! And I love conversations with double-meanings.
But the more I read this story, the bigger my problem becomes: how could S4 not be disappointing after this? I'm afraid your characterization is more consistent than Fellowes'...
5/5/2013 c4 readingfrenzy
Wow. Your writing is fantastic! I have always been a Branson and Sybil shipper and never really cared for Sybil. I found her to be too shallow. Wow...again! You have certainly given her character depth and have turned my feelings toward her. Thanks. WELL DONE. RF
5/3/2013 c8 7Lady-Finwe
it just keeps getting better and better... Cant wait for the next chapter :)
5/2/2013 c8 agatefleur
I love an author who expresses so beautifully with WORDS. You use them in so many wonderful ways. Your innovative ideas are very fresh! So Mr. Blake has a horse farm! This chapter is beautifully written, as were the other chapters. Perhaps this one evokes more emotions on the part of the reader. There is humor too! So looking forward to the next chapter.
5/2/2013 c2 Downton Lover
I have only just started reading this wonderful story but I am already loving it. You write so beautifully and you brought tears to my eyes when Tom gave his speech about moving on but still loving Sybil. I will keep reading to see where the rest of this story goes. Thank you for posting.
5/2/2013 c8 Audrey C
You can just feel Mary's tension. The dinner party is so amusing. Especially Tom's reactions and Cora's keen eye and conversation steering. Is Marwari really a type of horse? The part where Charles watches over George while Mary rests is interesting. Can't wait to read more!
5/2/2013 c8 8oiseaus
Beautiful! The last paragraph was extraordinary!
5/2/2013 c8 103847
Aww, this chapter had such a peaceful tone throughout it. I especially loved the part where Mary and Charles are discussing his horse Kala at dinner - from the moment you first mentioned her, I wondered if she was supposed to be a metaphor for Mary: black beauty, loved by her "father", magnificent, and hard to tame. Very, very clever and wonderfully done. Also, I've been wondering what would happen with Anna once her baby was born, and Mary offering her the position as George's nanny is an excellent solution! That way their children can grow up together and they can still retain their friendship and confidence. Now for the part that made me laugh: Carson serving dinner in his nightcap and slippers. I think he'd be scandalized at the very thought!

Last, but not least: the entire final scene with Mary and Charles. You have such wonderful banter, yet emotional strength and bonding, between them that it's marvelous to read and imagine. I think that George is already starting to see Charles as his father and this is difficult for Mary, because she wants George to know how wonderful his real father was. But I can still see how Charles and Matthew are alike, especially in his exchanges with Mary, his sense of humor, and his deep compassion and selflessness. I'll be waiting for the next chapter with bated breath!
5/2/2013 c8 jmar
Very clever, well done. But in my imagination, Charles has a baritone voice (I just love baritone for men - there are so few today, it seems...). I appreciate that Tom is incredulous; he would definitely have feelings of solidarity for Matthew - probably forever. But I still feel that Cora & Tom are pragmatists; they see things as they are, not necessarily as they should be, or as we want them to be. Interesting to see how Cora & Tom interact with Mary in the future. Imagine if Violet had been at the dinner!
5/2/2013 c8 23R. Grace
This story keeps getting better with each new chapter. I've been thrilled that you've allowed me to be a part of this lovely journey with Mary. Thank you. :)
463 « Prev Page 1 .. 17 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 .. Last Next »