for In the Company of Strangers

4/25/2013 c7 Audrey C
I can't begin to tell you how wonderful this chapter is. Everything was just perfect. I have tears running down my cheeks right now. The way you have written Charles Blake makes him just perfect for Mary. I wonder if JF will do such a good job with his Charles Blake. Never thought I would like a canon story where Matthew died, so much. That was so brave of Mary to offer Matthew's suit. Can't wait to see where you take your characters next!
4/22/2013 c6 4viscountessmary
Oh, I love Mr. Blake! And this chapter was such a delight to read. I am really intrigued by how this new dynamic will develop. Poor George though, I hope he gets better soon.
Looking forward to your next update!
4/19/2013 c6 jmar
A very entertaining chapter! Violet keeps everyone on their (her) game...no rest for the weary. I do hope George will be OK & although I realize that Mary may be 'falling' for Charles, I still hope that there is more healing for her before she moves on from Matthew. Of course, it is your story & I totally agree that the story rightly belongs to JF who loves to throw curve balls. I think that Gillingham's future may depend upon how willingly the audience does or does not 'take' to him - again the end result totally in JF's whims. Children need two parents & certainly society in the 20s would encourage that, but Mary is her own woman & as we all came to know, she does not want to be too predictable! Thanks for the update.
4/19/2013 c6 7Lady-Finwe
Its getting better and better seriously though can wait for the next chapter :)
4/18/2013 c6 Joystar
What a wonderful story! Thank you so much...I can't wait for the next chapter!
4/18/2013 c6 103847
Man, you're making me fall in love with Charles! Spices and peppermint, big brown eyes, dimples... sounds like my kind of man. I love the interaction and banter between him and Mary, that they're both in the same boat of loss and even seem to have the same sense of humor. I really hope that Mary's not too afraid to let him in; he seems like the perfect man to heal her after losing Matthew, and I think that Matthew would approve of him with all his heart.

And now for a note on everyone's favorite Dowager Countess. Can I hear a FABULOUS? My gosh, you had so many great one-liners for Violet in this chapter, and your descriptions of her facial expressions were priceless. Here are just a few of my favorites:

"'I remember perfectly,' Violet interjected, narrowing her eyes at Mary in a manner than would unnerve the Prime Minister himself."

"'Well, Mary, do you have anything you wish to say to me?' Violet inquired when they were out of earshot, pouncing with the all the speed and efficiency of a large cat spotting a weakness in its prey."

"'Do not play with me, Mary Josephine,' Violet ordered, leaning in even closer as she commandeered all the authority she so easily mustered, forcing Mary to conclude that even Elizabeth I could have garnered a few pointers in intimidation from her grandmother."

I was reading these and, apart from getting a good laugh, thinking to myself, "This is so Maggie Smith!" The descriptions are spot-on, because Maggie is the only actress I know (besides Judi Dench) who can commandeer a room with just a quirk of an eyebrow and convey an entire monologue with her eyes. I think it's safe to say that Maggie would love this chapter to pieces, as do I. Keep up your wonderful work!
4/18/2013 c5 5On either side the river lie
you know that I have said it before, bit I wanted to share it again...
I loved in this chapter the sense that you give, that Mary is trying to find the balance between taking charge of her life again, and battling her emotions and grief. It is a see-saw effect, and how it must feel slowly coming out of the darkness of mourning, and dipping your toe into the chaotic world of normality, and realising that some days the water feels too cold, and on others the coolness is refreshing.
I had to chuckle too, as I think you have grasped Violet and her voice so well. I can just see and hear Maggie acting your plot! (The French comment is classic Violet!) Her interactions with Mary highlight that they are very much akin, and how Violet seems to help Mary gravitate back to her pragmatic and sane self, albeit still on the abyss of grief.
...but you know I love your story and You're a darling for sharing...cheers
4/15/2013 c5 103847
I knew you'd deliver another amazing chapter, and you didn't disappoint! I nearly wept at the scene with Mary at Matthew's grave, and how you've hinted that he's always watching over her (the wind brushing her neck, the lark's song). And I knew from the instant you introduced Lady Catherine that Charles was the man on the train; nice touch! It's exactly like something that would actually happen on the show. I love, love, LOVE Lady Catherine, by the way. Did you have a certain actress in mind when you wrote her? For some reason, I picture Judi Dench with green eyes - given Lady Catherine's merriment, mischief, and ability to dish it right back to Violet, I think it's a perfect match. I'll be waiting with bated breath for your next chapter, Ms. Fellowes!
4/14/2013 c1 bonnie2u
Love this story. I think you are doing an excellent job describing how Mary is transitioning from grieving constantly for Matthew, to being ready to face the world. I hope that Charles helps her either as a friend or more than that. Looking forward to the next chapter!
4/12/2013 c4 hillevi
Such lovely chapter.
And your words in memory of your grandmother where so lovely to.
4/12/2013 c1 Guest
Love the church yard scene. Your writing is heartwarming. I am sure I Will like star Charlie Blake .
4/12/2013 c5 Guest
Love your writing n story.
I love that it is not sentimental and Mary,s pain, guilt, Lonliness , unable to move on are just so palpable that I too , felt every emotion.
The way you intertwined Matthew,s words and Mary,s in cannon, to fit in so well in your story.
Please continue.
4/11/2013 c4 Guest
Lovely story always look forward to more updates please continue
4/11/2013 c5 Del
I love the story&mary is very realistic
4/13/2013 c5 7Lady-Finwe
wow im loving this even though Im only up to season 2 I will have to wait and see how it really plays out. Cant wait for the next chapter and please let it be soon :)
463 « Prev Page 1 .. 19 26 27 28 29 30 .. Last Next »