for Unspoken Desire

3/12/2019 c1 36GrrraceUnderfire
Ahhhhhhh. NEWGAN. Great story.
12/16/2018 c8 1Alliecat445
I promised myself I would stop reading sad Hogan/Newkirk stories, but well yours was just to beautiful to ignore
5/13/2015 c8 25Bits And Pieces
Wow. I just caught up to this; sorry it took me so long. Gee whiz, you sure know how to make a person tear up! Very emotional ending; so well-written! Life is indeed not fair, but sometimes you just have to find a way to go on...

Anyway, I really loved this. I'm glad you decided to try something from such a different perspective, you did an excellent job. Very realistic, too. It's definitely going in my favorites collection.
11/28/2014 c8 amyh52
Dying
9/14/2014 c2 carbo21
Goddess your author's note made me laugh hysterically! Ignoring ballistic propensities is never a good thing! I am here to say no woman can resist a red blooded Englishman. I'm married to one. It makes the 4th of July a bit tricky tho...
1/2/2014 c8 66Sgt. Moffitt
Poor Newkirk! It looks as though desire had to remain unspoken until the end, and even then Newkirk felt the need to ask for Hogan's forgiveness for the way he felt. But his lifelong devotion is touching, and there is no shame in that.

I wonder if things would have been different if Newkirk had confessed his love prior to the two of them getting married and having children? Maybe his love was not unrequited after all.
1/1/2014 c8 35ColHogan
Too bad Newkirk had to hide how he felt about Hogan although I suspect the Colonel had an idea as did his widow and Newkirk's wife. Too bad also that Newkirk is the last of Hogan's Heroes still alive although it doesn't sound for very long from the way he talks. And I feel like Hochstetter sent those flowers not out of respect, but just to annoy Newkirk. If Hogan had to die, I'm glad he died from illness. Very sad.
1/1/2014 c7 ColHogan
Seems like Newkirk still doesn't have the answer he seeks as to whether Hogan returns his feelings. If he does, he can't very well display them in front of the entire camp to witness. But I'm glad he got to kiss Hogan even if not for long and was able to make a joke about it afterward.
1/1/2014 c6 ColHogan
Happy New Year! And long time, no read. At first I was concerned about Newkirk and wondered if he was gravely ill or something. Loved his reaction when he could make out Hogan spoon-feeding him so soup and now believing Hogan was his angel.
1/1/2014 c8 76snooky-9093
Happy New Year!

I really enjoyed this story. It had a wistful quality that felt appropriate, considering the subject matter.

In another time period, Newkirk would have not had to live a lie (although some still do in this world, which is a disgrace). It seems he had come to terms with his unrequited love as best as he can.

Odd that Hochstetter would send an envoy to lay flowers, but perhaps as the years went buy, he changed, and maybe felt some remorse for what he, and his regime did. It's possible.

Good to see that Hogan died a natural death.
1/1/2014 c8 14Marie1964
Sorry, but nope. Major character death needs WARNING. Not a happy way to ring in the New Year at all. It didn't start out so bad, and then to mention that Hochstetter is alive? Sorry, but this chapter really sort of ruined the story for me. Personal taste though, as I can't find anything wrong with plot line/grammar/etc.
1/1/2014 c7 Marie1964
Newkirk took a big risk, even though he's free he's still living in an unfortunately un-accepting time period. Thankfully LeBeau broke in or this would have been a really sad chapter.
12/31/2013 c8 jazzbear
I really enjoyed this story thought that was great "
12/31/2013 c7 66Sgt. Moffitt
You've portrayed a lovelorn Newkirk quite believably...so much so that I find myself rooting for him (even though I can't really see the Colonel as anything but boringly heterosexual). Looking forward to the final chapter, and hoping for a happy resolution for our favorite Brit!
9/22/2013 c4 31Goldleaf83
Your take on this story remains interesting in these two new chapters. Newkirk’s attraction to wearing women’s clothes is a believable stretch of the canon episodes where we see him wearing them, though they aren’t usually sexy outfits since he plays an older woman most of the time. Still, the thrill of crossing the gender barrier could easily still be there psychologically for him, and at the moment it’s crosswired through his attraction to Hogan, particularly given his sense that Hogan likes women. Thus when Newkirk cross dresses, he momentarily takes on the attributes of the women he knows Hogan likes; it’s not surprising then that this becomes attractive to him at this point in his life that it might not have in earlier periods, even if he’s been attracted to men for a long time. (Attraction to cross dressing and homosexual desire are separate sexual behaviors, but they can both occur for a single individual—by which I mean that cross-dressing is something that some gay men do but not others, and occurs in straight men as well.) That envy of women also plausibly drives his jealousy of Greta in chapter 4. Yet he also pragmatically remains attached to the freedoms that men’s lives had in the 1930s and 40s, and wary of the restrictions that ruled many women’s lives.

Finally, I just loved the scene he remembers of Hochstetter acting the chivalrous gentleman and helping the elderly lady across the street! It’s a terrific play on the gender role issues of the story, plus an amusing glimpse of the Heroes’ nemesis!
38 Page 1 .. Last Next »