for Courtney and the Violin of Despair

10/14/2015 c2 PikaBombyx
And so enters the Violin of Despair! I really like how the spirit haunting the violin isn't driven by pure instinct, but rational thought that has it believe that just public humiliation is enough for it for now. Nice to see it not, like, /just/ some bloodthirsty vengeful spirit.

I don't usually see fics where Courtney's parents are rich, that sounds interesting.
10/14/2015 c6 14rilakku
So we get into the Total Drama parts of it! Interesting to see Courtney's reasoning not to jump during episode two even though it's not any way part of canon this story just seems like it actually happened in the Total Drama universe. Overall nice chapter with no mistakes anywhere
10/14/2015 c1 PikaBombyx
Nice prologue! I don't think I've ever really seen a prologue like this before. Like, how it explains the historical-ish backstory of the Violin of Despair (and the Violin of Doom, which I'm assuming is gonna make an appearance too). It really does feel like a fresh prologue to this fic.

Not really much to say otherwise. It /is/ just the prologue, after all.
10/14/2015 c5 rilakku
Nice chapter! Again no complaints on grammar or spelling since it's perfect like always. Nice touches including what Courtney is feeling/wanting during the piece. I feel so bad for her tbh! Not just because Courtney seems to have everything together in the first parts but then when everything is going on she just loses it! Still awesome chapter can't wait for the next one! :D
10/14/2015 c4 rilakku
Awesome chapter! No criticism whatsoever, perfect spelling and perfect grammar. The story has definitely taken a awesome turn and seems to be setting the perfect plot. Now I see why it's sorta of a Courtney bashing fic! Also nice TDA reference!
10/13/2015 c8 9melodicBooknerd13
And so, this round of Read and Swap has come to a close for me.
Even without a sequel, this was great. I wonder what a sequel to this story would be like, though. Now that Courtney has the Violin of Doom, she is surely going to meet an early demise, as she is not a young girl as she was when she got the Violin of Despair.
10/13/2015 c7 melodicBooknerd13
So the spirit is now free, and Courtney no longer is cursed. At least she'll never have to worry about that again.
If only Courtney knew how much fortune she had with Bridgette crushing her violin. Surely, she would be dead much sooner in her life if that violin hadn't been smashed then.
10/13/2015 c6 melodicBooknerd13
The spirit won't kill her itself. But it will allow her to die from something that, mixed with something he caused, would surely cause her early demise. Alright then. That makes sense.
Rather than embarrassing herself because of the curse, she managed to avoid it (the curse) for once and save her life. She may have embarrassed herself in the competition by doing this, but it was actually a good thing for her to do, in the end. I never thought about that situation being a good one for her.
10/13/2015 c5 melodicBooknerd13
This spirit really loves to humiliate her, I can tell. If you won't kill her, your just going to ruin her life bit by bit. That's all the spirit thinks, in my opinion. How could the spirit cause her to lose her music, though?
To be humiliated into having a jealous upperclassman play the piece while she was bow synching just seems like something that would be horrible, spirit or not. Courtney has basically gone to hell and back when it came to performing because of this spirit. As I have said before, things are only going to get worse for her, I already know.
10/13/2015 c4 melodicBooknerd13
So far, all of the stuff the spirit has don't to Courtney is stuff that I fear happening to myself when I perform. This just makes me feel great.
The spirit is gradually treating her worse and worse, and I know that things will not stop here.
These things happened to real people. That must have been horrible for them.
Thats all for now. Bye!
10/13/2015 c3 melodicBooknerd13
I dream of singing the national anthem in front of an audience. This would terrify me to no end, so I can imagine how Courtney would feel to have to work through the struggles of playing the national anthem with a broken violin, overcome by nerves and wishing for it to be over with.
I knew the spirit would humiliate her, but this badly? I can tell Courtney will be in for a world of pain.
10/13/2015 c2 melodicBooknerd13
Courtney's parents bought her the violin as a present? Ironic, considering something which should be good for her will end up ruining her life.
The spirit thought that public humiliation of a young girl was better than killing her, because it wasn't worth the effort to kill her? A find that to be a strange concept, but it makes sense, nonetheless.
10/13/2015 c8 9ferguson97
SEVEN FIGURES?! Jesus, Courtney's parents are millionaires? That begs the question as to why she attended a public school and auditioned for a reality tv show where the grand prize was a mere six-figures.

This was a great story. It was exceptionally well-written, gave a great amount of depth to Courtney, and tastefully "bashed" her. Awesome job.
10/13/2015 c7 ferguson97
So Bridgette inadvertently broke the curse. Interesting.

I particularly like the chapters where you expand upon an existing story (or in this case, episode); they seem to be your strongsuit.

Another great chapter, very well-written.
10/13/2015 c6 ferguson97
This was an excellent expansion on the events of the second episode.

The writing is objective, but it is still clear that this story is being told through a third-omniscient point of view for Courtney; that's a writing style that I love.

So her cowardice saved her life? Or could it be that the curse guided her to making that decision, as to further her suffering?

This was another great chapter.
84 « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »