for Courtney and the Violin of Despair

10/13/2015 c5 9ferguson97
I can actually somewhat sympathize with Julie. Though her actions were unnecessary, I can relate to her situation of being "upstaged" by someone younger.

The way you write dialogue is superb; a senior sneering at an intrusive freshman.

The whole situation is certainly HIMILUATING for Courtney.
10/12/2015 c4 ferguson97
I feel so bad for Courtney. That was HUMILIATING.

The cursed violin is so cruel. It doesn't only cause her to fail, it builds her up just to knock her down.

My favorite chapter thus far. Keep up the great work, Gideon.
10/12/2015 c3 ferguson97
Poor Courtney...

Giving her family the surname of your late co-worker was sweet. I plan on doing something similar to honor a teacher of mine who passed away suddenly last week.

Chris being at the game (and throwing the pitch) was a nice touch. Certainly many of the characters are bound to have been connected in some way prior to the show, if the "six degrees of separation" is anything to go by.

This was a longer chapter, which you seem to be better with. That's not to say that your shorter chapters are bad by any stretch of the word, though.
10/12/2015 c2 ferguson97
This chapter was quite captivating.

Courtney's parents "sparing no expense" on the violin caught me off-guard. Five figures is a LOT to spend on anything, let alone a violin for an 11-year-old girl, no matter how responsible she may be.

The violin causing Courtney misfortune is an interesting premise; I don't normally read supernatural stories, but I like what you are doing with the genre in your story.
10/12/2015 c1 ferguson97
I can't say much for this prologue, since it's basically more of a history lesson and foreshadowing(?) than actual plot. It was well-written and captivating, so props to that.

Anyway, I swap between being neutral to Courtney and to liking her, so I am interested to see where you take this story.
10/11/2015 c3 6Mr. CyborgPineappleIsland II
OK, this is more of the meat and potatoes here Muhahaha!

I find everything so far believable, with the exception of here last name. It does make meek feel like a jerk to say this, but usually I find her to have more of a Hispanic name in nature. I am glad that you were able to give tribute to a deceased co-worker.

On the actual story it was pretty good, and I am slightly excited to see what happens next. I almost feel sorry for Courtney-almost. The scene was enjoyable to read. I wonder if her reputation will now be tarnished because of this?

Good chapter, as usual. c:
10/11/2015 c2 Mr. CyborgPineappleIsland II
Hmm... I noticed now that a lot of your chapters seem to be relatively short for this story. I have no qualms about it, but it is something obvious that I would like to point out.

To the quality of the story, I find it very interesting still. In the next chapter I imagine that us as the readers will start to receive a gimps of the pain that she has to endure. I've never been a huge fan of hers so this will definitely be an interesting experience.

I like how the guy who is happy to part with it decided to sell the violin for 5 figures-goes to show that some people value money over life.

I will be honest. In your poem, I don't understand the last line and what it means by carriage, and I feel that takes away the entire meaning of the poem and how it foreshadows the story.
10/11/2015 c1 Mr. CyborgPineappleIsland II
OK, this is a nice story so far.

One thing that that I have always admired about your writing is how you put so much background into literally every character. You make words flow like water. c:

Anyway, Even though it was a relatively short chapter, this was a nice prologue to set the stage of the story. It makes me wonder if both of the violins will be used in this story (more than likely) or if one will take dominance over the other in importance.

I wish I could say more, but I'm glad to choose this for the R&S, even though I am an unreviewing fan of LoTDI, this story is something I've been wanting to read for the better part of a year and now I have the chance.
10/10/2015 c1 9melodicBooknerd13
I have decided to read this story for Read&Swap, as I have already read Legacy, and I have been wanting to read this story.
I know that these reviews should have some sort of constructive criticism, but there is nothing you need to improve. You have good spelling and grammar, and have no mistakes of any sort in this story so far, and I know it's correct to say that this will continue.
That's all for now. Bye!
10/9/2015 c2 14rilakku
"Death of a Thousand Cuts" That is where I raised an eyebrow, something seems like this would call for her to parish. But instead public humiliation will be at her fate, for someone like Courtney that must be a thing as worst as death.

My interest for this story has peaked, I think from all this building the story will have an interesting plot. It does but something just seems like a big awful thing is in the works, something you might be pulling away from readers.
10/9/2015 c1 rilakku
Hmm interesting start so far! Im excited to see what is actually going to happen. Obviously by the title Courtney will have something to do with the violin, hopefully she doesn't met the same fate as Rittersohn.

Awesome start as I say before and cannot wait and I wonder what gentle bashing fic is? Can't wait to see
10/9/2015 c8 14The Sarcasm Master
Wow. XD Two cursed violins? Maybe you should just get one from the store, not the BIGGEST AND MOST GRANDEST THING YOU CAN FIND. Maybe the spirit will be benevolent? Maybe not? I think I might just stick with the good ending, where she simply moves on. Two curses seems like a bit much.

A nice, short, story that does indeed "gently" bash her. Not really for her character though, but then again, not many bash fics do. In fact, I'm not sure I'd qualify it as a bash fic at ALL considering it seems to elicit audience sympathy. I'd compare it more to a story about a Woobie, if that makes sense. Regardless, still an entertaining story!

Awesome job!
10/9/2015 c7 The Sarcasm Master
Ah yeah! The violin WAS broken. Indeed a blessing in disguise, thank you Bridgette. It's good to see that that's over with. Now hopefully she can move on and be able to work under pressure.

Not much else to say that hasn't already been said! This feels a lot like a tale as opposed to a story, if that makes sense. I don't normally read more "flowery" stuff but this mixes it with the modern-day nature of the story quite well. Good work!
10/9/2015 c6 The Sarcasm Master
I see now...this DOES take place in the TD verse and isn't simply an AU where everyone lives out their lives. Very intriguing. The curse continues to be a slippery SOB. I like how you incorporated TD into this, I was thinking it was just going to be her home life. But...crap, I'm trying to remember what happens in the Talent Show. Can't remember if the bow breaks or if the violin does or a string? I dunno. We'll see...
10/9/2015 c5 The Sarcasm Master
When it comes to "Technician vs. Preformer" Courtney definitely falls under technician, which is interesting considering how often she is called to do solos or things that require a performance. Public humiliation is always a fear for a performer, and again I could really put myself in her shoes (changing it from violin to piano, of course). I can also see both sides of the "older one plays second fiddle" because I've been on both Courtney and Julie's side.

It's nice that she will eventually be able to laugh about it. Comedy equals tragedy plus time after all. And that the curse decided not to screw her up even further. It's a personal kind of punishment I suppose. Anyways, on to the next chapter!
84 « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »