for Mary Sue Comes to Forks

1/27/2018 c1 8geistklempner
Bahahaha! Perfect.
6/1/2017 c1 5WinterSky
Aw, no complaints here about Mary Sues/Gary Stus. I've written my share of them and still do. They're fun! Fantasy wish-fulfillment is fun! And it's great as a jumping off point for new writers. My first attempted novel was very blatantly Harry Potter-but-a-girl-who-is-my-age-and-lives-in-America, because that's what I enjoyed. There's no shame in that.

Personally, I think you can enjoy writing Mary Sues/Gary Stus and acknowledge their merits while still poking fun at the more extreme versions of the trope.
5/23/2017 c1 Sam
Here is the definition of Mary Sue from Urban Dictionary:

"A sexist term used to enforce the misogynistic ideals that female characters/authors shouldn't be allowed to fantasize or write anything along the lines of wish fulfillment. Its misogynistic qualities are exemplified in many ways, most notably being the fact that it's not a term dominated by the male counterpart despite existing in a patriarchal society, as well as the fact that the male counterpart is largely undecided upon in name and also undefined (see urban dictionary's Gary Stu entry which has no definition but to say "A Male Mary Sue", and the Marty-Stu entry which involves the "Mary Sue" definition to define it).

It's usually used on the whole to bully new authors out of writing female characters altogether, making the task seem so daunting to some that they now only write slash fictions with two male characters, also exemplifying the misogynistic qualities this term involves."
5/23/2017 c1 Sam
I don’t really like it when people start complaining about Mary Sues. Foremost because calling a character a “Mary Sue” is used to dismiss and disregard them. Secondly, the word itself “Mary Sue” is gendered female. Why? Mostly because the characters that get cut down the most are female characters. Iron Man is never called a “Mary Sue (Gary Stu)” A good number of the main male heroes in pretty much any shounen (boys) anime (which is pretty much the only anime these days that is on TV) is never broken down like this. It is a term reserved ONLY to female characters.

So we have another gendered term being used against mostly female characters to dismiss them for, what? Being a female power and wish-fulfillment fantasy? I think women need their over the top, perfect, power fantasies too.

A good number of male characters fit into being “the mary sue”. They are perfect, everyone loves them, their power is always unexpected and grand and impresses all the friends and foes alike. And these characters are considered AWESOME and “I wanna be that character.” Characters like Harry Potter, Superman, Batman, Jack Sparrow, Aragorn, Iron Man, Naruto, Ichigo (Bleach), James Bond, Superman, Batman etc. However flip the genders and suddenly “Oh it’s just a Mary Sue character. DISMISSED!”

On a female character, it’s ridiculous to be so awesome, beautiful and perfect. On a male character, it’s iconic. Why should female characters have to be realistic, while male characters have all the fun?

For some reason, it’s totally okay for male characters in fiction to be perfect, strong, over-sexed paragons of righteousness, but as soon as it’s a lady – nope, we want no part of it. Bad writing. No room for growth. Annoying. Unrealistic. Yeah, Mary Sue fics are self-indulgent wish-fulfillment. But isn’t ALL fiction? Obvious self-insert character or no?

Because the Sue is always “perfect,” what exactly makes us hate her so much? Is it that she doesn’t have any flaws? Or that she has the wrong kinds of flaws? Or too many flaws? That she cries all the time and needs to be comforted? That she’s incredibly-powerful and no one can defy her? Is it that she’s way too nice to everyone? Or she’s the most anti-establishment of all the angsty girls on the scene? I’ve seen Sues dismissed for all of these reasons, which honestly makes it seem like we’re just dismissing all original female characters outright. The Sue breaks women out of the nice corner in which lady characters often exist in fiction, and that makes people uncomfortable. Let’s not be those people, okay?

There's a reason why so many books and movies are written about "Mary Sue" and/or "Gary Stu" — they don't exist in real life. Thats why Twilight is so popular. Bella and Edward are Mary Sue and Marty Stu. But people like Edward and Bella not because they are realistic characters who have flaws but because they are perfect.
7/17/2015 c1 Whyhow
She fit right in (which tells you something about the context) and some of the plot was actually less weird than the original.
12/23/2014 c1 21Marie E. Brooke
LOL. This was the best. Thanks for making my day! :D
7/25/2014 c1 8vietbluefic
THIS

IS

GENIUS
6/6/2014 c1 Levi-is-yay234
you see... this is what hold have happened...
5/29/2013 c1 Toolazy to login
This is perfect-and hilariously accurate! I'll definitely try to avoid putting these types of things now that I realize how common and cliché they are. Thanks for making my day!
-wordsarethekeytothesoul
5/23/2013 c1 5buckyjaymes
Usually I don't like these kinds of parody fics, but this was absolutely hilarious. xD You write very well, I enjoyed this story a lot. :D
5/23/2013 c1 1PepperTwist
That was great, thank you for this.