for Nothing to Remember

7/27/2013 c1 8eridani
This a beautifully written piece. I loved that you've not tried to resolve Mary's grief too completely, but also gave her a road map for a future life that need not be miserable or lonely. Just excellent, really. It's kind of wonderful to see that Mary's character has remained independent and determined, despite her awful loss, and that we get to see her resilience, rather than consigning her to a life lived in the shadow of Matthew's memory. Definitely one of my favourite Mary-post-Matthew stories.
6/13/2013 c1 Guest
Both heartbreak yet happy. You managed to capture both so perfectly. Everyone needs to read this!
6/10/2013 c1 Annie
god i was a sobbing mess. it's so beautifully written i want to reread it over and over. you could feel mary's conflicting thoughts through reading, they leapt off the page and actually made me feel "both gloriously happy and desperately sad" (such a gorgeous line) as well.

you're such a great wordsmith :)
6/9/2013 c1 buttercup67
Beautiful
6/9/2013 c1 5On either side the river lie
sob...it was beautiful, a snapshot of time, a memory and a present that is soft and understanding and I love your Anthony, and how he just cherishes Mary for who she is - whole and broken. Bravo, a heart wrenching drabble filled with wonder...cheers
6/9/2013 c1 Emjo3
Beautiful. Brought a tear to my eye!
6/9/2013 c1 creativedistraction
I've been wanting a Mary/Anthony fic ever since the spoiler came out and HOLY MOLY this is Perf! Exactly what I wanted! I hope s4 Anthony is somewhat like yours.

Beautiful writing dear. Cheers.
6/9/2013 c1 jmu
And my heart has broken all over again. Matthew! What a beautiful beautiful piece. Thank you for sharing it.
6/9/2013 c1 GenuineRisk
This line says it all: both gloriously happy and desperately sad. Beautiful story. I hope Mary does find her happy ending.
6/9/2013 c1 kamille
i just teared up reading this and i rarely ever cry over fanfiction. you just made me feel so much for mourning mary and you write the struggle between loving anthony and forgetting matthew so well. i'm even more excited for series 4 now.
6/9/2013 c1 Shanghaied in LaLaLand
Well I read it. I did. You pulled no punches and ... I appreciate that. (BTW, I sensed a bit of IG's "Ghost" poking through here tonally/thematically - did it help?) Your emotional intelligence as a writer (and I can only assume as a human being as well) is well beyond your twenty-something years. You're something of an old soul, aren't you?

I don't think Matthew will ever be a "speck," but the point is, I think (which you capture well), that Mary is really and truly just coming to terms with how much of her life remains, a life she must live without him. I'm still somewhat skeptical of the notion that any man - especially a toff in that era - would be so understanding, self-sacrificing and evolved as your Anthony is here (if only), but we do know from spoilers that he is a good man. Nonetheless, the cheery, low-maintenance persona you created for him in this piece works well as a counterpoint to Mary's emotional turmoil.

As usual, it's well-written and I actually think your characterization of Mary here - how much she thinks and feels but how little she says - is your best. Keep writing, because you have a real talent. I hope, if you can bear it, that you'll even find it in you to write for M/M again, though I certainly understand if you can't. (And I still owe you a review on DATL, which I absolutely loved.) Well done.