for Ice Cold

8/18/2013 c1 30NotARedhead
Nice beginning! I love that you wrote a Renko fic - I was sad when they killed him off. I liked him from that first scruffy moment we met him in the crossover episode. We need more Renko love. :-)

I can see Renko's apt being exactly what you've chosen for him, right down to the artwork and kitchen implements. He seems very naturally written, except I was SO disappointed that he served tofu bacon - I get the whole kosher thing, and that was a nice character detail. But I've just always imagined Renko as a full-out carnivore with a secret "Bacon is Life" t-shirt hidden in his NCIS locker and a constant prayer of contrition cycling through his head because of it. LOL

Hetty was written wonderfully, as always - that lovely mix of caring grandmother, serious boss and evil imp that you do so well. "The sounds of Lady GaGa blasted from the car as it sped away." Indeed. Hah!

I do have to agree with a previous reviewer re: the overuse of "moron", even when it was obviously done playfully between friends. It just does not seem like a word they'd use. If anything, I'd expect two smart, literate, well-read, competitive guys like Callen and Renko to try and one-up each other with more erudite insults than to settle on a lowest common denominator term like "moron". Plus, I imagine that was a word that G would have heard a lot in various foster homes and orphanages, as its such an easy insult for kids. I'd think he'd avoid it at all costs. But that's obviously based on opinion and nothing canon.

At any rate ... well done, as usual! Glad to see Renko alive and well, and I'm looking forward to how Callen handles Dom's death, and how Mike handles Callen. Please don't make us wait too long!
8/17/2013 c1 A Reader
I'm sorry to go against the grain, but I'm not a fan of this one yet. I was initially turned off when Renko apologized for missing Dom's funeral and Hetty replied that he hadn't missed anything of value. Nothing of value in a ceremony that bid goodbye to a team member? Not even Hetty at her most cynical would say that. But I kept reading and, while I do enjoy this elaborate and fratboyesque past you've given the guys, you totally overuse the word "moron", which sounds wrong coming from either one of them and adds nothing to their characters.

You love minutia, which can be a good thing, but you don't need half as much to write a good scene - it's very ploddy in places, trying to cut through to the story. Some of it is essential to their relationship. Some of it is not knowing where to edit. You are a joyful writer - by which I mean that you clearly love to write - and there ARE moments of brilliance here. But you also tend to use a hundred words when a sentence would be just as effective. Do we, for example, really need to know the step-by-step process for homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches to understand that Mike instinctively knows that his friend requires comfort food as part of the decompression process? Does the method matter that much?

Spending three paragraphs describing a shower works because it leads us to how Renko transforms from an undercover persona back to himself. Three paragraphs of how to make soup and sandwiches is overkill.
8/14/2013 c1 14I Feel Possessed
Sorry for not reviewing this earlier - I actually read it on my phone last night but prefer to type reviews on the PC. I think Renko is a great character and I was really disappointed when they killed him off. The show strongly suggests a colourful history between Renko and Callen which you capture very well. I thought that Callen sounded a little too gruff at times, but then this is post-Dom...And I'm not sure Callen would have been quite so indignant at Renko having swiped a pirate DVD - but that is down to personal perception of the character.

There is great attention to detail throughout although I did get concerned you were going to write the recipe for making tomato soup (I tend to glaze over when it comes to food).

Only spotted one typo - "haul creates of fish" - crates

It's a very readable character study and really well written, and my only criticism would be that there is no hint as to what plot may follow...but whatever happens next, I look forward to reading it!
8/10/2013 c1 jfdkalhfjdsbbe
(Sorry it took me a while to finally get time to read this and review properly!)

I love the way you write Mike, and am so glad that you wrote this story because there is not and will never be enough Mike Renko fanfiction. You have built up such a wonderful back story and built upon the friendship that he has with G. I really enjoyed the details that you put into his new home, I can see it all so clearly and it's nice that he has that 'home' feeling.

Hetty and Renko at the beginning was so well done. I've said it before, but I really admire the way you write Hetty- I swear, no one writes her better than you!

The bit where Renko is going through his bag had me giggling, I love the humorous bits that balanced out some of the more heavy things they discussed.

I love the line: Attempting to handle G. resembled a high-wire act: push too hard and he'll push you off the wire, give up and he falls.- It really does illustrate the fine balancing act which is required of friends of G Callen.

After reading the bit with Renko making dinner, I realized just how damn hungry I am. The details were brilliant and now I really want some tomato soup. Also, his PJ's are the best! I don't pick sides when it comes to comic book companies, but Iron Man wins this fight.

When Callen and Renko are talking about how G is too stubborn to die on anyone's terms but his own, and how Renko would just prefer a quick death just about kills me. It's one of those things that just sounds so true, and it's brilliant dialogue, but especially knowing the events of the season 4 finale, it seems painfully like foreshadowing of the most heartbreaking kind.

The bootlegged DVD bit had me laughing. Callen being all appalled and Renko explaining how it was a misdemeanor at worst- so funny!

Now I really wanna see Kensi after three margaritas! HA! Especially since despite the love Renko has for the Bollywood movie, the fact that he still thinks Kensi all liquored up beats it has me curious.

Great balance of history, emotions and humour, I really love this story! Thank you so much for writing such a wonderful Renko/G fic!
8/9/2013 c1 tmpbooth
Great start! Mike was a very under-rated character in the show and i was gutted when they killed him off.

I soooooo know that i am going to love this story and can't wait or the next chapter.
8/8/2013 c1 Susan L. Grabon
Wow! That is a lot to know about Mike. Glad that you wrote this.
8/8/2013 c1 138Gina Callen
Love it...is there more? Sending hugs back at ya
8/8/2013 c1 20shestarsky
I was so happy to see you had posted a new story. This was great, so descriptive of the characters and their surroundings. Mike's apartment sounds like a beautiful but comfy place to live. (Too bad he couldn't help G furnish his new house.) You even made tofu bacon and tomato soup sound delish (I hate tomato soup).

The interaction between Mike and G sounded right, I can picture them having a long and colorful history. I myself have always wanted to write something about their shared past and here you've done it for me and written it really well.

The insight Mike showed with Hetty was nice, we never got to see enough of the two of them together to know how their relationship really was. Of course they both shared an deep affection for a certain Senior agent that would have brought them together.

Great job my friend and I look forward to more.
8/8/2013 c1 angelscatie
Great beginning
8/8/2013 c1 wotumba1
gotta love renko!
and his style of decorating his appartement!

but why did you tag it with 'G & sam'?
8/8/2013 c1 10mysterius-lady-n-black
love the renko and callen time
8/7/2013 c1 Reader1976
Renko is a favorite of mine and the friendship shown with G is pitch perfect. You are spot on with Hetty. Fabulous start! I hope to see more!
8/7/2013 c1 jmlane1966
Ambrosia Rush will be so proud of you! This is an extraordinary character study. The stories Renko tells and his introspection are fascinating and beautiful and tragic. All the backstory about his adoption, conversion, losses, work, military service...all of it is exceptionally well thought out and presented. What a wonderful story for such a neglected character. His death on the show was a great loss, but he lives on in fan fiction. Thank you for the truly beautiful Renko story.
8/7/2013 c1 Shaz1
What a fantastic start, I can't wait for you to continue- its great to read a story that explores the friendship of callen and Renko
29 « Prev Page 1 2