for A Pillar of Salt

8/13/2013 c1 clovercoda
So, I was privileged to be around during the formation of this story, to watch it grow through late night read allowed edits, through discussions of scenes and wordage. I have also have had the privilege to have visited where one of your most brut scenes takes place. I feel honored to have shared those experiences, and I feel honored to be able to read your prose. That's what it is. Your writing. It's not just fiction, non-fiction, or FAN-fiction, it's prose. It's even more than that. It's magical, the way you can transport a reader into every feeling and thought and scene of a story is just incredible. I am very proud of you, and I know a certain professor that would be too. Reading these stories just leaves me dying for you to write a novel. At that I will end this very random, crappy review with this: I thank you for allowing me to come along on your adventures and share your emotions. I thank you for writing things that make you FEEL and THINK something, as a reader, that's all I could ask for. Here's to seeing your name on the shelves of bookstores one day soon my Shin'
8/13/2013 c1 11Rox3l
awww, I was hoping for a happy ending but this was still a great story. :) Loved it.
8/13/2013 c1 Madi
Wow. Wow wow wow. Candice, you never effing fail to amaze.
“They awed and cooed and shit all over themselves with joy, telling your parents how Full of Potential you were. It was clear and inevitable to everyone that you would do Great Things, and like all repetitive conditioning, you eventually believed it yourself.”
I love the use of capitalization here. I kinda felt like you were talking directly to me? It made me shiver.
“Life definitely happens. To good people, to bad people. Future lawyers, doctors, and rocket surgeons go from curing cancer to robbing banks. From pharmaceutical engineering to drug dealing. Two sides of the same coin, maybe, except where one is completely fucked.”
I love the way you write. I love the insight you have on life.
“”It's a quarter to midnight when trouble walks in out of the stifling summer night…”
Roxasss.
... I love the WAY Axel talks. He is the epitome of caustic wit behind narrowed fiery eyes.
“It's not that Axel didn't care. He used to care too much, probably. He was all cared out, gave all the fucks he could've possibly given back in college until he was drained dry. He probably would've killed himself then, a too-healthy dose of nitrous to kill off his billions of brain cells, but he didn't give a fuck enough to do that, either. Walking in on his not-girlfriend sucking the unborn children out of some dude he might've met once, showing up every other day for the deadest end of all jobs on earth. But he definitely did his part to contribute to the human race. He helped baby animals. He recycled. He saved souls, counseled suburban hoodlums. That had to count for something.”
I see a lot of myself in Axel when I read this. I gave up on college because I was 'depressed.' WELL NOW WTF AM I? Y'know? My life is kind of in the crapper. I filed for unemployment today. I couldn't even manage to be arty enough to write an akuroku day fic. All I know is I've had these tattoos for two years now and I feel like LB saved me then and this is saving me right effing now because I'm realizing that... I don't know, I might effing die? I could. Sometimes I want to so effing bad. And then I don't because I'm scared. So effing scared. I wish I could write out the expletives but I don't want to not let me post it.
What I'm trying to say is thank you. Thank you for all the broken promises of Roxas' eyes and for making me see the metaphorical gun pressed up against my neck. I needed this. Thank you and I love you so much. My life would be so much less without your presence.
8/13/2013 c1 11meeka-eela
Oh my god oh my god oh my god

What.

This was amazing and brilliant and heart-wrenching and fantastic and so well written and your diction and the pacing and OH MY FUCK, I FEEL EMPTY INSIDE.

You beautiful, beautiful person.
8/13/2013 c1 2Superkawaiifreak
This is so very touching. It is a cautionary tale, and I found it interesting that you cite hell as being the place where all people go-hell of studying, hell of schoolwork, hell of anxiety, hell of malevolence and bad decisions-and, depending on the length spent in hell, people turn out differently. You are raw emotion, but you are a polished writer, and you are capable of crafting these wonderful stories that are so truthful and adherent to the sad, existentialist boredom that many are faced with today, mostly due to that "unsocial social networking." Your allusions made me giggle and I smiled at Axl Rose and the mention of The Coffee Bean's color scheme. Your education as a scholar and street smarts as a person are so evident in everything you write, but I saw so much more of your panache in this story. You are wonderful. This story made my heart beat just a little bit faster, made me that much more nervous for SF, but also made *me wake the fuck up and wipe the sweat off my brow so that I can pursue my dreams, in a big city, with all of my will. Veins full of light, I am moved by you.
8/13/2013 c1 1FirargaMay
Very good. Sad, definitely, but good. I like your writing style
8/13/2013 c1 squigglything
hey hey, haven't seen you put new stuff out in a while! hope you've been well. This was definitely a treat :) but oh man Axel died :( I was kinda hoping he'd be able to go back to college, get his life together etc. Guess life doesn't always work out like that huh? Anyway, as always its an absolute pleasure to read your work. Hope you can write again soon
22 « Prev Page 1 2