for They're Called Every Flavor Beans for a Reason

10/21/2015 c1 Isilanna
I have to admit it - I laughed! I think using BBEFB as allegory for fic is pretty apt. It's not life or death, it's entertainment. Some people have different - and sometimes extreme - preferences, and that's ok because it's JUST FIC. One reviewer made reference to dissemination of harmful information that doesn't apply in the slightest because it's JUST FIC. I agree that it's annoying when things are not tagged properly to help everyone sort and filter according to their preferences or dislikes, but that's no reason to ban the Extreme Beans when there are still plenty of people who want some or all of them. Improper tagging is a rampant problem within all communities of user submitted content; the only way to deal with it is to work on better informing on the rules. And in the end, there are plenty of Hufflepuff tables within the fic Great Hall for those who are just looking for a candy-flavored fix.
7/5/2015 c1 7ladyowl
umm.

so, you write fantastically. and it's a great story.

but I'm a little bit nervous about your allegory. as I see it, it's referring to a freedom-of-information, or freedom-of-the-press, and you're stating that there are some types of publications/information/websites/etc that are displeasing to many and are therefore currently banned.

the problems that I see with this analogy are as follows:
1. there is legitimately some information which would be harmful to people who receive it. (say that you could cure cancer with cigarettes). it makes sense to ban this sort of potentially-fatal lie, given that there is an interest in publishing this sort of information. with respect to the banning of tree-frog flavored beans: they may taste bad, but there is no real consequence to eating them. if we, however, had arsenic beans included in the mix, the analogy would fall differently.
2. the solution given for those who only like safe beans is to eat muggle beans. presumably this is like saying that if you only subscribe to certain political views, you can keep your blood pressure down by only listening to certain conforming radio stations or reading certain conforming newspapers. but, I'm not convinced that this is a healthy solution in real life - if only because it makes conflict resolution very difficult and dehumanization quite easy.

anyways. I wish I had some good solution - obviously - but thought that it was worth thinking critically about a piece which deserves critical thinking.

thanks and best, lo
11/25/2013 c1 Robin G. Fellow
You did a good job of explaining your allegory without going over the top. I really like this story. :)
10/5/2013 c1 23Mark Geoffrey Norrish
Very nice. You get the point across well without coming over as being too preachy or anything.
7/19/2011 c1 9Bishieluver01
Uniting the four houses... Because of Every Flavor Beans. It's a fantastic idea!
4/8/2011 c1 25AspergianStoryteller
Interesting and original.
10/6/2010 c1 Amonymous
Your paragraph breaks are still gone.
10/3/2010 c1 2Fire Tempest
Excellent metaphor for the censorship issues inherent in fiction - pity that it is so hard to read because of the lack of spacing. Managed it but only with great concentration!
6/9/2010 c1 Georgia
Not sure what this story is about. It's too hard to read without paragraphs or anything.
4/6/2010 c1 6Quizer
Impossible to read, unfortunately, due to it being one huge wall of text. This story sounded interesting and I would have liked to read it, but this is too much to ask. Fix, please, and send a review reply when/if you do.

Quizer
4/3/2010 c1 7Selina Novella
Unfortunately, it's back in block paragraph again. Sorry!
8/14/2009 c1 4Sivy
By the way, the paragraph breaks are gone again. Good luck
3/12/2009 c1 186Lady Azar de Tameran
Yikes. That is certainly a very long paragraph. Very continuous and hard to read. Might want to work on that. Or something...

I am certain it's a lovely story. If only I could finish it without my eyes bleeding.

Zari
4/15/2008 c1 Boggled Eyed
I think your formatting got mucked up. It's very difficult to read like this.
6/27/2006 c1 28duj
Thoughtful and thought-provoking allegory but did you notice that you censored yourself? None of the "extreme beans" were extreme in a way that would have required you to up your rating from K. I guess you wanted to reach as many people as possible - much like Harry did.

The real problem with ffnet ratings IMHO is not that NC-17 fics are banned - there are plenty of other places to read or post them for those so inclined - but that almost no one keeps to the rating system at all. At least half the M fics on this site are actually NC-17 according to the ffnet guidelines; hate to think what would be posted under that rating, if it was available. I'd prefer a system which included specific warnings so that, for instance, I could avoid extreme-torture/rape/dehumanisation/anatomical-sex fics instead of having to hastily back-button.
39 Page 1 .. Last Next »