for Beans, Justified: The History of Joanna At-Woods, the Baker's Wife

5/11/2015 c1 68TolkienScholar
This is very clever! I love how you made The Shoemaker her father, but only referenced the elves with "the 'little people' living under the floorboards." It's a nod to those who know the story without sidetracking your own. Very clever indeed! :)
The Wife is an unusual, even surprising, character. They definitely are ill-matched. This line characterizes her well: "Having a baby would be the ultimate fulfillment of her marital obligations." It's so cold a satisfaction.
Ooh, I love how the two women came from the Woods. It sets up the mystery of the Woods from very early on. Nicely done.

A few SPag notes:
There should be a comma, not a semicolon, between "gold" and "there lived," since you're introducing the meat of the sentence and the part before can't stand alone as a complete sentence.
It should be "two women not much younger than she," not "than her."
You need a comma here: "his father named Chip" should be "his father, named Chip." Otherwise it seems like the father's name was Chip. That confused me momentarily. :)
Should be "devoted to her daughters and grandson, and they to her," because what you're saying there, without spelling it out, is "and they were devoted to her."
Should be "as thoughtless as she herself had once been," just to clarify you're talking about the Wife and not the baby.
Should be "neither would there be any disasters like her own"; clearly just a typo. :)

Whoa! You've twined all these stories beautifully! There's a rather long exposition paragraph toward the middle, but it worked all right for me because I enjoyed seeing how you worked them all together. I love that Rumplestiltskin was the dwarf in "Snow White and Rose Red." You might consider summarizing and condensing the three nights in the Rumplestiltskin story, just a bit, but otherwise, I think it's fine. And then that passing mention of the Headless Horseman and Ichabod Crane... this is brilliance. :) Very well done. I'll be back. :)
10/27/2013 c1 9GPRox
Cool! I like ITW, it's totally cool, and this story is cool too.