for The Hunger Games Without The Hunger Games

2/22/2014 c49 8ForFutureReference
The fighting alberts definitely gave me a good chuckle.

Panem would have the concept of Saturnalia during solstice season.
Capitol hipsters and backpackers... wonderful.

Interesting the concept of voluntary Avoxhood.
Unless I'm reading it wrong, it seems like this Snow isn't that resistant to change.
2/14/2014 c48 ForFutureReference
*facepalm* Dammit Delly... Interesting observation of race nonetheless.

Indeed a pretty big bombshell from Snow, and as hinted by Delly's statement, one that could shake things up economically.

Of course, Sky seems to have a bombshell of his own.
2/9/2014 c47 ForFutureReference
Huh, interesting interpretations on the Hunger Games. On one hand, you have kids that are taken out by the elements. On the other, you have not-really kids that fight each other to the death. In some ways, while still appalling as Delly pointed out, either interpretation is less so than canon.
1/31/2014 c46 ForFutureReference
The heliphant would probably a magnificent sight to witness.

That's a nice little nod to canon Darius' fate.

I can taste the saccharine of the "Fluffie and Muffie" program from here. I got a laugh out of Napoleon explaining the true reason's behind Fluffie's head movements; poor creature probably wants to kill everybody right now... barring Schuyler. At least it shut the rodent up.

Also got a kick out of the intradistrict tension from the Three guys.

Well then...
1/25/2014 c45 ForFutureReference
That seems to be a darker retelling of the abduction story. Then again, this one does play towards better dramatics.

Therapists seems to be a bit like geishas or traditional courtesans.
1/17/2014 c44 ForFutureReference
Sky's great here and interesting backstory to the slans.

Guess somebody didn't watch their drink.
1/10/2014 c43 ForFutureReference
Interesting little overview of the effect of hair color upon caste system.

Napoleon doesn't seem to have the best of luck with mutts.

Bit of a time abyss you go there between now and Panem.
Ah, so the Midwest has become Mesopotamia...
1/4/2014 c42 ForFutureReference
Good description of the New Capitol with the square layout tying-in to the canonical one.

Heh... pink flamingos...

So it seems Vixen's people were pretty much the Panem equivalent to Gypsies. Interesting that even the Peacekeepers don't get involved in the mob justice.
12/26/2013 c41 ForFutureReference
Huh, so it looks like New Madrid finally became a real city before its destruction. If it's anything like it is today, then it's wretched hive designation is justly earned.

The first scene with Scipio is simultaneously hilarious and skin-crawling.
Hamsterball fights? I'd probably watch that.

Fluffy is awesome.
12/19/2013 c39 ForFutureReference
Nice little description of Vixen's home.

I'd wonder a bit about the structural integrity of a see-through blade. Ah well; future tech explains everything.

Hmm... so one of the things that Panem is not advanced compared to us is wireless communication.
How very "Brave New World" of the Capitol's mentality towards the Tributes.
12/16/2013 c38 ForFutureReference
Ah... the chicken argument. As well as Plato's vaunted Republic (as opposed to the "mob rule" that's democracy).
Yay, more twisted Hellenic familial relations!

So our time is the Middle Ancient period... interesting. Seems that the singularity was reached for the next age.

I'm really glad that you explained the seaways as geologic in origin as opposed to a rise in sea levels.
Also intrigued by the mention of other nations.
12/11/2013 c37 ForFutureReference
History beings more about entertainment than what actually transpired. Some things haven't changed since the time of Herodotus.

A wild suitor appeared!

Debate is totally not portrayed in a slanted manner.
Halcyon... aka Cato the Elder.

Already suspected that Napoleon's a bit more than a height-challenged guy with an extreme aptitude for history.
12/9/2013 c36 ForFutureReference
A bit hilarious how pitiful the scene with the flightless birds are. But a nice description of their appearance and habits.

And the "lost district"once makes its return again. Quite a bit of a big damn heroes moment.

I like how Gale's BS sensors are going off like crazy throughout this.
12/6/2013 c35 ForFutureReference
Pay-for restrooms... Truly the sign of tyranny.
Magnificent adaptation of the circus.

Well, that's one way to get extra free food.

whatever the amount is real or subject to dramatization/demonization, the Invaders are suitably intimidating, especially with their complete reliance on organic tech.
12/3/2013 c34 ForFutureReference
Ah, Johanna... you really know how to cut loose. At least those guys stood up for her when Brutus made his appearance.
I love how screwed-up Hellenic stories can be.

Vixen's knows to respond accordingly to Johanna.
Doesn't seem like too bad of a deal.

So Marvel is not as much of a fool as he originally let on...
The Pox is reminiscent of not only the one that hit Thirteen but the Roman plagues.
32 Page 1 .. Last Next »