for Pokemon: The Origin of Species

2/3/2014 c2 Anonymous
I like the story, but if I can nitpick a little I'd like to point out that Red makes a fundamental error, albeit a common one, in his 'experiment.' He is attempting to prove his hypothesis true when he should be attempting to *disprove* it. It's a significant distinction that most scientists-to-be are taught about in their first statistics courses, but him being a 12-year old I can see why he wouldn't know it.
2/5/2014 c5 UNSecur
Red thinks he would be ok with his Charmander used in experimentation? Hah, right.
There's a difference between what you want for yourself and what you think the best set of social norms, ethics and morales is. I want to be absolute ruler of the world, but I certainly still support democracy, as even if I had a decent (one in a million) chance of being ruler, me and my loved ones would be better off on average in a democracy (0.000001x100.999900x0.90.0001x-100 for dictatorship vs. 1 for democracy).
Animal testing in general is a massive positive, unless it's my pet that's being taken. On net? It's still a massive positive even for me personally (0.000001x-1000.999999x0.01 for animal testing vs 0 for no testing). Scope insensitivity of course makes people only really account for the -100 and 0.01...

numbers for illustrative purposes only!
2/4/2014 c1 UNSecur
That last convo between red and blue has given me serious deja vu.
I've had that convo almost word for word so often...
2/2/2014 c5 Guest
Typo: "payed" should be "paid" (unless you're talking about extending a rope or cable).
2/1/2014 c1 Guest
I love it
2/2/2014 c5 Therl
Just stumbled onto this, it promises to be interesting. The three main characters are well fleshed out and are are actually thinking. Can't wait to see what kind of world you build.
2/2/2014 c5 DittoJam
Definitely one of the best fanfics I've read so far! Your story is great and super unique, this is the only fanfic I've read on here where I'm actually learning things. The overall intelligence of your story really makes it stand out. One thing I really like about it is the way you expand on some of the social and political issues that the game canon brings up, but are often extremely underplayed in other stories I've read. Your characters are also very well developed, though one important thing I think is good to keep in mind is to keep the story moving at the steady pace you have going here, because one issue I have seen with many fanfic/webcomic writers is that they sometimes spend too much time with their characters in the first cities, and end up getting burned out later on. I'm very excited to see where you take Red, Blue, and Leaf through their adventure! Keep up the great work!
1/30/2014 c5 Rory O'Kane
I like what you’ve done with Giovanni and Ghetsis. They feel more like real characters. I look forward to seeing what role they have in the story.

The differing characterizations of Red, Blue, and Leaf are well-explained. Their different viewpoints offer the opportunity for some good exploration of the world.

What! Pokécenters aren’t free? What a cruel world compared to the games. But I guess it fits with the other changes to the world.

The new title is a nice punny reference, and works as long as Leaf actually gets somewhere in her quest some time in the story.
1/29/2014 c5 2NOTSOFASTKAIBA
So interested to see this side of Red. I can't wait until he catches Pikachu, or understands the bond between trainers. Will you be sticking to Blue's character, and have his Ratticate pass away? Update soon!
1/27/2014 c5 Guest
Keep it up! Posted a couple of things in the reddit thread.
1/27/2014 c1 Jagershock
Nice update, I'm loving this story! Keep it going!
1/7/2014 c4 NOTSOFASTKAIBA
From the position of someone who works with animals I have to say, you are the first to put positive punishment/reinforcement, or negative punishment/reinforcement into the training mix, and it is delightful. Very nice.
1/7/2014 c4 somervta
Awesome! I'm loving this story, and the worldbuilding is cool too.

Wrt pokeball prices, my personal retcon is that they're somehow subsidized, and/or get ridiculous economies of scale.

One small science error - Positive reinforcement refers only to the arrival of a stimulus after a response increases it's frequency (makes it more likely to occur). The other phenomenon that you lumped into it is called positive punishment, as it is the addition (positive) of a stimulus that decreases the likelihood (punishment).
1/4/2014 c4 Guest
Great update, keep it up!
"In case" is two words though.
1/2/2014 c1 NOTSOFASTKAIBA
Only half way through your first chapter and I am here to tell ya, you got a fan. Looking forward to reading more and your future updates.
2,138 « Prev Page 1 .. 131 138 139 140 141 142 .. Last Next »