Community
Forum
V
More
Forums » So, you want to write a story? »
What Book(s) are you Currently Reading?
A Firestorm Nauralagos

Sheesh. What took me so long to put this thread in here? :D

The usual rules apply: Don't swear and respect everyone else, unless they're reading Twilight.

Please read the Forum Rules thread before posting.

5/3/2014 . Edited 6/16/2014 #1 Report
A Firestorm Nauralagos

Yes, I did say "Books" plural for a reason ... Does anyone else have a habit of reading several books at once? It feels like such a bad idea ... BUT THERE ARE SO MANY INTERESTING BOOKS TO READ! Only reading one feels like a waste of time!! xD

1 The Once and Future King by T.H. White

2 The Last Enchantment by Mary Stewart

3 Still Writing by Dani Shapiro

4 Redwall by Brian Jaques (Although I haven't touched this one in days ...)

5/3/2014 #2 Report
The Dimenssionalist

Nifty, a new thread! And I'm the first (other than Firestorm) to post on this thread.

Someone else who reads multiple books at once? Cool I'm not alone! Anyhow, I've only got one right now.

Mad Scientist Guide for World Domination by (name escapes me right now and I can't find the book). Let me start by saying how misleading the cover is. This book does not help aspiring Mad Scientist. This was my entire reason for getting the book so I was disappointed afterwards. Anyhow, the book is a collection of short stories all of which include a sort of Mad Scientist. While not strictly a guide, there's a lot you can learn from these stories. There's a whole lot more to your typical Mad Scientist than meets the eye. All sorts of things to learn from this book. If I ever go into the world domination business, something I've given some thought as of late, I'll be well prepared.

5/3/2014 #3 Report
M scarletfireblaze

Slated by Teri Terry, and Half Upon a Time by James Riley.

5/4/2014 #4 Report
A Firestorm Nauralagos

@Di: XD

@Scarlet: I've heard of le second one; how are those?

I just read another book called And We Stay by Jenny Hubbard; it was fabulous :D

5/5/2014 #5 Report
A Firestorm Nauralagos

And I must also add ANOTHER book to my list, courtesy of my English class: Parzival by Wolfram von Eschenbach. I kinda like it so far; it's definitely better than the stuff by Chretien, at least. xP (I mean, I'm sure he was a great storyteller/bard/writer/poet for his time, but his style is way too ramble-y for my taste.)

The names in this book are awesome, by the way. xD Firestorm's favorites:

Belakane

Kondwiramurs

Feirefiz

Gramoflanz

Herzeloyde

Heeheehee ...

5/5/2014 . Edited 5/5/2014 #6 Report
M scarletfireblaze

Ah, it's a lot better than I expected (although it's not exactly my reading level haha). I just started the second book in the series, Twice Upon a Time. It's pretty interesting :)

5/12/2014 #7 Report
A Firestorm Nauralagos

@Scarlet: Coolness :3 I shall have to find it sometime ...

I just finished reading the Selection series by Kiera Cass; it was better than I was expecting, but not by a whole ton. There was more of a romantic focus than I'd have liked, since I don't like romance books- but the adventure part was pretty cool xD

5/12/2014 #8 Report
A Firestorm Nauralagos

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley (it's awful. Don't read it. I have to for my English and I dislike it immensely. xP)

some random book about McCarthyism by Brian Fitzgerald

6/3/2014 #9 Report
A Firestorm Nauralagos

Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

A Phantom Enchantment by Eve Marie Mont

A Time to Dance by Padma Venkatraman

Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor

Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

Jessica Rules the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

Also- I just finished reading The City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare (any other Mortal Instruments fans out there? Anyone? :D :D)

6/7/2014 #10 Report
M BuBuWinter

Nothing because I've read all of my books and the California high desert doesn't believe in having libraries close to where I live. :'D

Actually, there is one book I haven't read that I own. Twisted Roots by Shelly Goodman-Wright. I've tried reading it multiple times as she's an old friend of my dads as well as a friend of mine, but I'm a very impatient reader. If something doesn't instantaneously grab my attention, it's very difficult for me to continue. x.o

6/7/2014 #11 Report
A Firestorm Nauralagos

That's awful!! I think there should be a rule about having at least one library for every 10 square miles.

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe (HOLY CRAP. There's some really offensive stuff in here ... even without any swearing in the book, it's pretty bad O_o Good book, but highly offensive at parts.)

Dracula by Bram Stoker (DUDE I might be going to see "Dracula's" Castle next year!!! Like the legit Bran Castle in Romania!! *Crosses fingers*)

V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (This is technically a graphic novel, but it's a CLASSIC.)

6/16/2014 #12 Report
A Firestorm Nauralagos

The Complete Works of Emily Dickenson (by Emily Dickenson ... :P)

I have two comments regarding the books I just finished:

Dracula- for something written in the 1800s, 'twas shockingly good. There were some dry parts and certain things that didn't make sense, but overall it was good. Firestorm recommends.

V for Vendetta- HOLY CRAP. HOLY CRAP. Freaktastically awesomesauce, although there were considerably more parts that were confusing (although a lot of that was on purpose ... this thing seriously plays with your mind, in the absolute best way possible O_o So much inspiration. So many ideas- not to mention a very simple and clear definition of fascism, which will be very useful for my original fiction book ... xD) Seriously, go read it. Right now. No, watching the movie doesn't count- go read it. xD

7/8/2014 #13 Report
A Firestorm Nauralagos

Books I've read in the last week:

The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross (Ehhhh ... read The Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare instead. :/)

Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix (Fabulous book- I highly recommend it, and also the sequel, which is called The Palace of Mirrors.)

The Princess and the Peabodys by Betty G. Birney (Very funny. Also recommended.)

Romeo's Ex- Rosaline's Story by Lisa Fiedler (Read Still Star Crossed by Melinda Taub instead.)

Animal Farm by George Orwell (This book was scary good. If you haven't already had to read it for school, I'd suggest reading it on your own- not having to psychoanalyze every word makes the classics way more enjoyable.)

1984 by George Orwell (Even scarier good O_o I must repeat what I said regarding Animal Farm ... Also- those who know me IRL know that I almost never cry while reading books. I started crying while reading this book. I think it was more that it scared the crap out of me, all the stuff about what's real and not real and how to destroy a person's mind, but... yeah. I'll shut up now. Go read it. 'Tis fabulous.)

7/27/2014 #14 Report
A Firestorm Nauralagos

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

Joining the Conversation by Le English Teachers

Guy In Real Life by Steve Brezenoff (Very funny and awesomesauce. If you enjoy any kind of gaming, I'd suggest reading it xD)

Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo (Holy crapsickles, this series is awesome. I read the whole book in a single sitting O_O)

10/14/2014 #15 Report
StrawbAbby

Miss Peregrines home for peculiar children

10/29/2016 #16 Report
A Firestorm Nauralagos

-Lots of trashy Nora Roberts books (they're super light and easy to read at work, since I get a lot of down time in short chunks)

-Paganism: An Introduction to Earth-Centered Religions by Joyce and River Higginbotham (read it if you're even remotely curious about Paganism; it's super informative and real easy to understand)

-True Magick by Amber K. (Same as above, but more focused on legit magick/Wicca)

6/25/2017 #17 Report
TheWantedPoet

I am reading Moby Dick and a book called How to be like Sherlock. I recently finished Something Wicked this way comes, plus I'm reading lots of fanfiction and manga.

6/20/2018 #18 Report
Hogman

Industrial Society and Its Future by Theodore John Kaczynski

9/25/2020 #19 Report
Reply  Follow Follow

Twitter . Help . Sign Up . Cookies . Privacy . Terms of Service