Just In
Community
Forum
V
More
Forums » So, you want to write a story? »
Help with mechanics
A Firestorm Nauralagos

I have found spelling and grammar to be a BIG problem in the Wizard101 fandom. Spell check will often times fix spelling errors, but when multiple options for correct spellings come up, you have to know which one to pick! There is not, unfortunately, a such thing as a "grammar check" on fan fiction, so if you don't check your grammar when you're writing the story, you won't always catch your errors. If you have anything you need help with that involves spelling or grammar, ask away! I'm (almost) always available :)

Please read the Forum Rules thread before posting.

12/17/2011 . Edited 6/16/2014 #1 Report
A Firestorm Nauralagos

Just as a note, there are two rules in here: You may not swear or be rude to anyone else here. If you break one of those rules, your post will be deleted, and depending on the number of times it has happened, you may be banned from this forum.

12/17/2011 #2 Report
A Firestorm Nauralagos

Homophones are one of the biggest spelling problems in fan fiction. A homophone is a word that sounds like another word, but is spelled differently and has a different meaning. Here are the two most missed homophones:

Its/It's:

Its is a possessive meaning "Belonging to it."

Example: Its fur was long.

It's is a contraction that means "It is."

Example: It's time to go!

There/Their/They're:

Their is a possessive meaning "Belonging to them."

Example: Their house is old.

They're is a contraction that stands for "They are."

Example: They're meeting us in the park today.

There is a location.

Example: I want to go over there!

3/12/2012 #3 Report
Naomi Hansen

Considering that this is a game targeted primarily for "tweens," it isn't much of a surprise that spelling and grammatical errors tend to be a fairly prominent issue in this fandom. Although this may or may not count as being part of the "mechanics" of a story, another thing that can crop up as a problem because of the fans' inexperience with writing is a lack of originality with their plots as a whole. Yes, you have the right to tell your story about your character(s) going through the experiences in the game, but unless your version is different in some way from the rest of the crowd, I'll be losing interest pretty quickly and eventually forget about it. It's probably the reason why all of the Wizard101 fanfics I've ever written have never actually done anything based on the game's plot (yet) - it's done so many times by other people, not to mention that I don't have much of a clue (yet) on how to make a version of mine stand out, that I make more unique plot lines to spice up the fanfiction choices in this community.

Luckily, though, I have been seeing some fics floating around FFN that don't entirely follow the "OC discovers they're a wizard and they learn that they have to save the Spiral" formula, so I'm cautiously optimistic on that front. (Doesn't change the spelling and grammatical issues, unfortunately, but I think I'll stick with one or two problems at a time.)

6/10/2012 #4 Report
A Firestorm Nauralagos

Another major problem is capitalization issues.

NO MATTER WHAT SCENARIO,ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS CAPITALIZE THE LETTER I WHEN IT'S ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first letter of proper nouns* should be capitalized.

*Proper nouns: Any SPECIFIC person, place or thing, ex. Headmaster Ambrose, Professor Baelstrom, Ravenwood, Grizzleheim, the Spiral Cup, the Great Wall of China, the Eiffel Tower, Albert Einstein, Russia, Australia.

Common nouns* should ONLY be capitalized if they are at the BEGINNING of a sentence or quote. Don't capitalize them if they're in the middle of a sentence.

*Common nouns: Your average person, place or thing, ex. house, friend, pencil, pen, spoon, mug, glue stick, bridge, road, teacher, fireman, general, post office, supermarket, playground, school.

6/27/2012 . Edited 5/3/2014 #5 Report
A Firestorm Nauralagos

SPACING

Every time a new person speaks, a new paragraph should be started.

CORRECT:

"Hello, Martha!" Sally called.

"Hi, Sally!" She replied.

INCORRECT:

"Hello, Martha!" Sally called. "Hi, Sally!" She replied.

Also, there shouldn't be a space between the quotation mark and the first word.

CORRECT:

"I live in Marleybone."

INCORRECT:

" I live in Marleybone."

*Edit: I should probably mention why le spacing thing is on there, since I don't see it all that often ... I used to make that mistake when writing stuff, and then someone pointed out that it wasn't correct. I've probably still got some parts of DoFS that are written like that, which I'll get around to fixing eventually ....

6/27/2012 . Edited 5/3/2014 #6 Report
A Firestorm Nauralagos

PUNCTUATION IN QUOTATIONS

This is a major problem. In fact, since this game is made more for elementary-middle schoolers, many of the authors in the fandom don't know about proper grammar in quotations, as it isn't taught until ninth grade.

When you have a quote that IS followed by a "he/she/it/they/we said," the quotation should have a question mark, an exclamation point or a COMMA. If there is NOT a "he/she/it/they/we said," the quote should end in a question mark, an exclamation point or a PERIOD.

If the quote ends in a question mark or exclamation point and DOES have a "he/she etc. said," the "he/she etc." should be capitalized. If it ends in a comma, the "he/she etc." should NOT be capitalized.

CORRECT:

"My name is Bob," he said.

OR

"My name is Bob!" He said.

OR

"My name is Bob?" He asked.

OR

"My name is Bob."

INCORRECT:

"My name is Bob." He said.

If any of that was confusing, feel free to ask questions; I'm not sure I did a very good job explaining that. O_O

6/27/2012 #7 Report
M scarletfireblaze

That would be weird if Bob didn't know his real name...unless that's not really his name...

Anyhow, thank you for bringing up the point that this fandom needs serious work. As Naomi said, the plotlines are kind of dull, but if you find a story with a good plot, it's entirely unreadable because of grammar and stuff. I know I shouldn't be talking, because my reviews are terrible. But I guess reviews are different. I should revise my reviews, I know I should, but I usually type them when I'm in a hurry to leave. Sorry 'bout that. This is getting off topic.

Thnx for the tips...I'm sure they will help a lot of people, including me, if I ever get a story published!

scarletfireblade

7/24/2012 #8 Report
A Firestorm Nauralagos

@Scarlet: xD Haha, good point. xD

I'm glad I could help! :) If you notice anything missing, feel free to add it. Also, I'm sure you'll get a story published eventually. :)

-Firestorm N.

7/24/2012 #9 Report
A Firestorm Nauralagos

WELL VS GOOD (also known as The Grammar Nazi's Nightmare)

I've only just started catching this mistake within the past few months or so, and I figured that it was time for a post about it.

Society says that "I'm doing good" is what sounds correct, and is therefore grammatically correct.

Grammar says that "I'm doing good" is bad grammar. The correct form is "I'm doing well" and leads to me having a grammar battle several times a week over me correcting someone ....

This is more of a Grammar Nazi rant-post than anything, so if you're having characters say "I'm doing good" you're probably fine. It won't be noticed by anyone except super picky Grammar Nazis :P

5/3/2014 #10 Report
A Firestorm Nauralagos

DOUBLE NEGATIVES

This came more to my attention today when I was listening to a song called "Ain't No Sunshine" and I felt the irresistible urge to correct the grammar.

First of all, "ain't" is not a word, no matter what the dictionary says. It is not a word. RAWARARRGHGRLg. It's not a word. So there. *Sticks out tongue like a three year old*

Second of all: "Ain't no" is a double negative. If we translate that into [slightly] better English by removing the fake word and replacing it with a real one or two, it says "There isn't no sunshine." Then, if we turn that into a grammatically correct sentence, it says (drumroll please .........) "There is sunshine." Double negatives are very, very, very, very, VERY rarely a good thing. I've seen a select few ways that it can be used, such as "I will never not love you" or something like that (although I argued with my friend that "I will always love you" or "I will love you forever" is a better, more grammatically correct sentence ...)

Generally speaking, though, double negatives are bad. Don't use them or I will Grammar Nazi you into next Thursday. MUAHAHA.

Firestorm!Edit: AND YES, "TO GRAMMAR NAZI" IS NOW A VERB. SO THERE.

5/3/2014 . Edited 5/3/2014 #11 Report
The Dimenssionalist

Devil's advocate here! While it's a writing sin to use a double negative during the narration, it could be great for dialogue. For instance, say a character of yours, a sort rough street guy or whatever the stereotype permits, it is going against something another character says. If the character says "ain't no way I'm doin' that" or "I ain't gon' nevar go there." Then it not fits, but it adds more color and personality to the character. Just remember to only do this when it fits, don't just go throwing it around. Like Firestorm said, use this when it's not appropriate to the story and I will Grammar Nazi you. Only I'll be a lot crueler. I'll Grammar Nazi you into Sunday, then you'll lose the whole weekend and have to go back to school when I'm done with you! Mwuhuhahahahahahaha!

5/3/2014 #12 Report
Reply  Follow Follow

Twitter . Help . Sign Up . Cookies . Privacy . Terms of Service