V
More
Forums » The Anti-Plagiarism Investigation Reports »
You're welcome!
Make FFN Sensible Again

Feel free to give your thanks here.

4/18/2013 . Edited 5/6/2015 #1 Report
A HorusTheAvenger

This thread can also be used to post thank you notes received from people we have assisted. Please remove names and identifying information unless you have permission from the sender to include them.

Recent thank you received. Always nice to know people appreciate our work.

Hello HorusTheAvenger,

My names [Name omitted]. Fanfiction account holder [Name omitted] told me how [Plagiarist] plagiarized my story twice on her account. I'm incredibly grateful for him telling me. I went to the review page of her story and saw that you reviewed telling her to take them down. I just wanted to write to you in thanks for backing me up :) it makes me happy knowing that theirs fellow fanfictioners backing others up when a wrong has been done to them so thank you earnestly from the bottom of my heart :)

4/24/2013 #2 Report
M RogueMudblood

With permission of messlady, I'm posting this:

oh man, I didn't even know that people like you existed on FFN O.o but now that I'm aware of it, I'm so grateful for your work! I saw how many cases of plagiarism you've detected. I feel like my writing is taken care of well with you, the investigators, around :)

thank you for detecting the case, and for your message! I've already taken some measures.

cheers,

mess

6/7/2013 #3 Report
A HorusTheAvenger

Stumbled across this entry when looking for info on BrokenPromises22. Am guessing you were the one who emailed them, Rogue?

6/11/2013 #4 Report
M RogueMudblood

Am guessing you were the one who emailed them, Rogue?

In an official capacity as staff of AFF, yes. An e-mail was sent to every AFF author affected by BP22. And thank you for doing that. I assume you're looking for new profiles? Alternate s/n's she's used are listed on my profile.

6/11/2013 #5 Report
A HorusTheAvenger

Indeed. Always get suspicious when a plagiarist starts pulling stories like mad. There is a chance that they are just going to post it somewhere else.

Also, looks like will have a lot to learn from you. Still amazed how you found all that.

6/11/2013 #6 Report
M RogueMudblood

With permission from mama4dukes:

Thank you, this was my fourth round at being plagiarized and it's been getting extremely frustrating. Thank you again and please thank the members of TAPIR as well. I am extremely grateful for your help. --mama4dukes
8/31/2013 . Edited 9/1/2013 #7 Report
The Warty Hogg

I was amused to see the plagiarist list Mama4dukes as one of her favorite authors. Well, duh. You don't steal from authors you don't like.

9/1/2013 #8 Report
King Spritzee

This thread needs to be stickied/pinned, so it doesn't get lost in the forum.

9/1/2013 #9 Report
M O Long Johnson

I agree, I think the same could be said for http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/85840386/1/ Welcome-Willkommen-Bienvenidos#85840386

9/1/2013 #10 Report
M O Long Johnson

With permission from http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1701659/Sapphire-Raind rop, I'd like to post the message she sent me expressing her gratitude for the case we were able to resolve here http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/96023893/1/ Report-FFNID-4332630-yanatobosofan-Kuroshitsuji-Ac tive-Resolved-Story-Deleted#96133319

Hello there! I'd like to thank you so much for reviewing and calling "yanatobosofan" out on his/her plagiarism of my work, "Hikari: Path of the Avenger". I really appreciate people looking out for things like this -- this has happened 2 or 3 times in the past year, if you can believe it! I wasn't aware that you could file a plagiarism report! Is that a real thing? I hope so! Thank you again, and I hope you enjoy my writing! =)Sapphire-Raindrop
9/19/2013 . Edited 9/19/2013 #11 Report
The Warty Hogg

I got a message from someone thanking me for my efforts to stop copyright infringement. I was quite pleased.

10/14/2013 #12 Report
M RogueMudblood

Posted with permission:

First of all, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for alerting me to the fact that my story "Faith" had been plagiarized. Otherwise, I'd never have found out. I read your first PM almost 10 hours after you sent it (life is complicated right now), and there are no words to describe my initial disbelief. I hurried to check all the Star Wars stories 'written' by Red Phoenix Queen, and I couldn't believe it when I found out that she hadn't only plagiarized "Faith". The six chapters of her story were practically a combination of three stories of mine: "Faith", "The Hardest Test" and several lines of "The Turning Point." And I'm almost positive that she also took stuff from other authors. (I mean, the words that weren't mine had to be from someone else!)

I immediately went to the section "Terms of Service" on http://www.fanfiction.net to file a complaint, as your PM suggested, but since it was the first time that something like this happened to me - and I know nothing about this stuff - the steps I was supposed to take to write a complaint seemed too complicated.

For example, step 2 of their notification states that:

2. Tell us which country your copyright applies to.

I have no idea about copyrights, so I don't know which country my copyright applies to. My profile states that I'm from Spain, but I don't know if that's the country I should list.

Step 10 states that:

10. Sign the notice. If you are providing notice by e-mail, a scanned physical signature or a valid electronic signature will be accepted.

How do I do that? Do I have to write my signature on a sheet of paper, scan it and include it as an attachment in my email?

I still tried filing a complaint last night (this time using the template I found in your forum), but when I went to include the URL of the plagiarist's story, I found out she had taken it down already. I quickled checked her profile, and I saw that she had taken down at least 15 of "her" stories. Only 8 remained at the time (it's come down to 4 now), so there was no point in continuing anymore.

It's really strange, when it happens to you. Picture my face when I clicked on that story and I started reading MY OWN story/stories, paragraph after paragraph. It was surreal, not to mention the boiling feeling of indignation and outrage, especially after reading the "author"'s profile where she stated how hard she worked on her stories, and the effort she put into writing them. If that's not the epitome of cynicism, I don't know what is.

Once again, let me thank you for being on the lookout. You're all real guardian angels of people's labour, and the work you do is invaluable.

One good thing came out of this ugly incident, though. I took the opportunity to write something on my profile. I mean, after 12 years it was about time, wasn't it? :D

Take care!

Shy Snootles. (Sandra)

and

You have no idea how upsetting and downright disturbing it is to see something you've written, something you've struggled with and dedicated long and painstaking hours to create and give shape until it looked acceptable enough, copied and pasted in a sort of Frankenstein monster, and have someone say it was theirs, that it was the product of her hard work. Just like that. What was mine now's hers. Favourite author indeed! HA!

Unfortunately, I don't think she learned anything either. She even had the gall to admit she's plagarized other people's work and apologized for it, as if we had caught her stealing a cookie. I just can't decide if she's mentally challenged or a real [redacted]. I hope she can be intimidated enough to give up, although I frankly don't think it'll be that easy.

Please, don't apologize for not clarifying initially! You really didn't have to. It's just that the template on "Terms of Service" didn't make it clear enough for me to understand. All this legal language really goes over my head. The template on your forum was exactly what I needed, even if it wasn't necessary in the end. I still saved it, should this (let's hope not!) ever happen again.

Yes, I'll keep an eye on RPQ's profile, just in case. Like all bad things, they tend to "return."

And of course you can post my message on your forum! It'll be my honour. But why would someone defend another who steals from others is beyond me. I guess it takes all sorts to make a world!

Take care, and thank you so very much again for your splendid, selfless work. You're all wonderful!

Shy Snootles. (Sandra)

2/13/2014 #13 Report
M RogueMudblood

Posted with permission:

It's been a long time since you sent the PM alerting me to Broken Promises 22's plagiarism, but I want to thank you for the time and effort you spent ensuring that FFN followed through on its plagiarism stance. BP22 knew it was wrong, but consistently chose to plagiarize and disguise others' stories to pass them off as her own.

At the time of your PM, I wasn't online enough to do more than report the plagiarism of my story to FFN and hope they'd address the issue. Returning to FFN today and discovering TAPIR got the whole mess sorted and dealt with was wonderful!

I'm so grateful that fandom at large has people like you: sharp enough to identify stolen works; honorable enough to inform FFN readers, writers, and administrators; and dedicated enough to follow up until all is put to rights. Ensuring plagiarists know such behavior won't be tolerated helps foster the safety necessary for fans to post their work online. People need a measure of safety to show vulnerability, be it through posting stories, art, opinions, videos, etc. TAPIR helps provide and protect the safety enabling fandom communities to thrive.

Many thanks,

newtypeshadow

and

Feel free to share my thanks with the TAPIR community! You're an important safeguard for fandom at large, and I don't think we thank you enough for keeping sharing fun for everyone.

newtypeshadow

3/8/2014 #14 Report
M RogueMudblood

Posted with permission from maevelin:

This is in regards to Twinkers

Hello,

I have seen that Twinkers has taken down one of her stories (the one she had content of mine inside)

But I have also seen that she posted in another story of hers that she is been accused for something she didn't do and some people believed her and defended her.

From my part I can verify that she had never asked permission from me.

In the mean time I had send her two messages asking her (nicely) to take down her story and she replied today with this.

"Okay so I don't know what you think I stole but I didn't. What part of it do you think I stole?"

She is seriously trying to make people believe that she didn't do it.

In any case thank you for informing me of this. I am grateful ;)

3/14/2014 #15 Report
A HorusTheAvenger

And old one, but a good one. We got a whole LJ post as thanks here:

dracogotgame.livejournal.com/52688.html

It's a wonderful thing they're doing at TaPir and stop_plagiarism and I for one, can't say enough about their commitment to the cause.
3/14/2014 . Edited by RogueMudblood, 8/12/2015 #16 Report
HKGlenstid

So do i need the authors permission to put their thanks here? Cause i have four i think in my pm right now...

2/8/2015 #17 Report
A HorusTheAvenger

If you are worried about permission, omit the name from the message so the author cannot be identified.

If they give permission, you can link to the case thread in question.

2/8/2015 #18 Report
A HorusTheAvenger

Received this message of support in our PMs. Keep up the good work everyone!

Subject: Thanks

Hey, was browsing the site, loved the Hall of Shame (God Forbid I ever be on it), just wanted to let you know I appreciate what you do. At least there's still a few decent people left in the world.

Sincerely,

[NAME]

4/15/2015 . Edited 4/15/2015 #19 Report
A HorusTheAvenger

A thank you note to the forum that we just received:

Thank you for your time and the efforts you put out there to protect authors everywhere!

This person actually became aware of TAPIR through anon reviews impersonating TAPIR staff members.

So as it turns out, the anonymous coward tried to frame us but it seems to have gained us supporters instead. We thank them and good job! :D

8/11/2015 #20 Report
A HorusTheAvenger

Another thank you note we have just received from a grateful author in support of us after the whole impostor review issue.

I am thankful for this forum because I was taken advantage of with my story, someone was changing a sentence or two of two or three chapters of my main story and then post in it as their own and had I not been tipped off....I am unsure what would have happened and you all here looked into this and back me up before someone could point the finger at me being the one in the wrong, despite me having years of notes on my computer...jump drives, hand written thoughts and notes and even full chapters in multiple spiral notebooks. You guys here are an advocate for those who either don't know about their work being ripped off ir like in my case, one who is aware of it and then helping to set things right.

So in all of that long winded mess above, all I really want to say is thank you for all the hard work this forum does to protect those who need it here on this site.

Thank you!!!

Our efforts do make a difference out there. Thank you all for your efforts and keep up the great work, everyone!

8/12/2015 #21 Report
Make FFN Sensible Again

No. Thank you for creating TAPIR Horus. TAPIR has made FFN a better place.

8/12/2015 #22 Report
A HorusTheAvenger

Just remember TAPIR wasn't the work of one, but many joining forces :)

Another thank you note, shared with the sender's blessing:

I just was made aware of this organisation as I am following [Author Name]'s stories, and I had to log in and say thank you for the work you're doing.
I am much more of a reader than a writer currently, and have fortunately never been plagiarised myself (probably as my stories aren't good enough to plagiarise!) but I have seen wonderful authors quit because of it.
So thank you once again for doing the hard work that not many people would want to do, and making FFN a safer place for writers :)

It may be that what we do is small in the scale of things, but it still makes a difference to people. Good work, all!

8/17/2015 . Edited 8/17/2015 #23 Report
Make FFN Sensible Again

Another TYN, this one being from [Author TAPIR helped].

Hey I saw that! Thank you SOOOOO much for letting me know. I so appreciate that you guys have taken up this fight. It means so much to me that you would even read my work to begin with and that furthermore you would care to help me fight against someone that would try to copy it. Thank you truly from the bottom of my heart.

We're making a difference comrades!

8/22/2015 . Edited by HorusTheAvenger, 8/22/2015 #24 Report
M Jeremy Hillary Boob

Mach, did she give you permission to include her name in the thread? Thread rules, you know.

8/22/2015 #25 Report
A HorusTheAvenger

Edited the name out just in case. If she is ok with the name let us know will edit back in.

8/22/2015 #26 Report
Make FFN Sensible Again

I forgot to ask for her permission. I apologize Jeremy.

8/23/2015 #27 Report
A HorusTheAvenger

Another thank you note from a supporter of one of the OAs we helped. Great job all!

Greetings kind sir, I am here because someone is plagiarizing the work of the Author I'm Beta-reading for,[Author Name]. The said Plagiarizer is called [Plagiarist Name]. [Author Name] is a good friend of mine, and I have been a fan and Beta reading his stories since [Story Name]. I find it a great insult to my friends work and can vouch that his works are being stolen by [Plagiarist Name]. I understand that you're already working on this case since he told me about it on Skype, earlier. I greatly appreciate your help and [Plagiarist Name] can complain all he wants, my friends story has been on FanFiction A LOT longer than his, [Story Name] was posted here in [Date].

Thank you for helping my dear friend,

[Name]

8/27/2015 #28 Report
Ragnelle

Since this is the official "thank you" tread, I'd like to post my thanks here as well. I also want to say that I have gotten a response from support on the e-mail I sent using the form I got from you, so it has an effect. The stolen story was taken down before they reacted, but only with about a day. I thought you would like to know.

11/16/2015 #29 Report
Raider-K

I'll second Ragnelle's comment, since we were both victims in one of your recent cases. You all were lovely and professional to work with the entire time. Thank you for giving us a voice and advice on how to proceed with admin.

Great job!

11/19/2015 #30 Report
39 found: Page 1 2 Next »
Reply  Follow Follow

Desktop Mode . Twitter . Help . Sign Up . Cookies . Privacy . Terms of Service