Just In
Community
Forum
V
More
Forums » The Anti-Plagiarism Investigation Reports »
TAPIR Admin Announcement Thread: Beware of TAPIR Impostors posting anon reviews! (They are not us)
A HorusTheAvenger

IMPORTANT DISCUSSION REGARDING COPYRIGHT CASES:

Looking over at the cases that we have been receiving recently, have some serious concerns. There seem to be a few cases of going after stories for quoting any canon dialogue at all, regardless of whether the author made any attempt to write originally or not or whether those lines constituted a large portion of the story.

Do not like the direction where this is going. This is not what TAPIR was formed for.

We are going to have to review our policy on such cases. Do not want our group to be wasting time on such petty cases and bothering authors who only quoted a few lines from canon in their mostly original fic. There are too many of them out there and the inclusion of those lines have little to no impact on canon sources, so regardless of the admin stance, there is little reason to report them. We want to prioritize on high-impact cases, there would be too many cases to handle otherwise.

Going forward, proposing the following changes to copyright cases:

TLDR;

Input and suggestions on the above from staff and members welcome.

8/13/2013 #31 Report
The Warty Hogg

Some of those MSTS are about 75% direct copy with the odd sentence here and there. They and song fics really annoy me but that's just my opinion. A sentence or two from the original doesn't bother me as much.

8/13/2013 #32 Report
A HorusTheAvenger

Some of those MSTS are about 75% direct copy with the odd sentence here and there. They and song fics really annoy me but that's just my opinion. A sentence or two from the original doesn't bother me as much.

Songfics with copyrighted lyrics are usually produced in full. They are explicitly forbidden anyway, so no ambiguity on those cases.

Copyrighted dialogue is more a grey area. Yes we have the admin response on copyrighted passages, but have been doing research, and here is the thing: short generic phrases and common dialogue cannot be copyrighted.

www.copyright.gov/circs/circ34.pdf

Several short phrases in set sequence, yes, but one or two lines arguable enough not to be an issue.

Also, there is the factor of the copyright conditions for fair use:

Section 107 also sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair.
  1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
  2. The nature of the copyrighted work
  3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
  4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work
The distinction between what is fair use and what is infringement in a particular case will not always be clear or easily defined. There is no specific number of words, lines, or notes that may safely be taken without permission. Acknowledging the source of the copyrighted material does not substitute for obtaining permission.

source: html#infringement

The last two points are were the key points in determining the guidelines above. Only point to discuss is whether the percentages are reasonable. MST and the type of fanmakes we recently handled are definitely well over the reasonable threshold and are harmful to the copyrighted work as they reproduce large portions of original, enough to make purchasing original unnecessary.

As for quoting only a few lines in a transformative context, is much more grey, and unless there is a good argument on how it negatively impacts the original creator, am proposing that if it is grey area, we leave it alone.

8/13/2013 #33 Report
Tikatu

I think this is a reasonable way to deal with copyright infringement cases. Cassandra Clare was mentioned, I believe, in context of copyright infringement and one of the complaints was that she'd lifted lines from other fandoms' canon without giving credit. However, what really got her banned wasn't all those little scattered bits, it was the wholesale lifting of complete, multi-paragraph passages from a published book without the author's permission. That was the plagiarism which ultimately got her banned.

This new policy also takes into consideration whether or not a certain line or phrase has become part of the greater societal (or even merely fannish) vocabulary. For example, in my own fandom, the phrase "Thunderbirds are go!" is used in almost every. single. story. It's also used a lot in places where the series is iconic--that would be Great Britain, New Zealand, Australia, and even Japan. Any countdown from five runs the danger of some wag or another finishing it up with that phrase. Yet, it's so ubiquitous in the series that, in the strictest sense, its use could be seen as plagiarism in fan fiction. By focusing on the last two tests in fair use, the new policy acknowledges the line could be considered "fair use". I'm sure each of you can think of a similar line from the fandoms you frequent.

I would suggest that, when approaching authors before reporting, that it is made clear what exactly is at stake--the entire site's survival. Would it be wise to draw up a boilerplate explanation, laying this out? I'm sure the same objections will be made time and time again. "Everyone else is doing it." "The admins don't care." "Why don't you go bother all those other people who are doing it?" I'd really like to see the connections made between the big media companies and what exactly would have to go should any of them present the site with a C&D. Disney: anything from Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, etc. Warner Bros: anything from DC Comics, etc. Show the offending authors what their one piddling little fanmix (added to all those other fanmixes they think we should go after) could mean if they. don't. stop. Who knows which straw will break this camel's back?

ETA: A polite boilerplate also ensures that no author can come back and say so-and-so was abusive. I know Luna is very good at negotiation. Perhaps that needs to come in after a first, impartial and impersonal sally is made and the temperament of the author is determined. When I was reviewing some of these cases, I used a standard, "This story has been plagiarized from this fic, by so-and-so, found here. Consider yourself reported." No one could say I was rude... ;)

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Thank you for asking me, Horus.

8/14/2013 . Edited 8/14/2013 #34 Report
Luna Goddess of the Night

Yes, I feel that's alright with me, Horus. I felt TPR was being derailed from what it originally was. One or two for dialogue is fine. But outright copying the script bit by bit, is another story.

8/14/2013 #35 Report
M RogueMudblood

Concur.

8/14/2013 #36 Report
The Warty Hogg

Here is my boiler plate copyright infringement review. I just change the name to J.K. Rowling when needed:

While these sort of 'characters read the book' story are very common, they are against the posting guidelines of this site and a violation of copyright law. I know you posted a disclaimer, but that pretty much counts as an admission of guilt: I knew I was stealing this.

While lots of people 'do it,' very few understand why it is both wrong and dangerous. Aside from the legal aspects--anyone posting material that is protected by copyright can be sued by the legal copyright holder--it is a danger to fan fiction in general and FFN in particular.

For hosting such violations, FFN could be sued and/or forced to shut down. You can imagine how that would affect all fan fiction sites.

If you had read through the posting guidelines, aside from noticing where this type of story (a MST: short for Mystery Science Theater, a very silly program that used to make rude comments about terrible SCIFI movies) is expressly forbidden, you might have seen the list of authors who forbid fan fiction about their work being post on FFN.

Suppose Rick Riordan had had it with copies of his works being posted illegally? He could sue FFN. He could sue anyone who posted his works. But what those of us who are trying to get these type of stories removed are most concerned with is the chilling effect. If Riordan says NO fan fictions based on his works can be post on FFN, that is what will happen.

There is a difference between copying text from a copyrighted work and transformative fan fiction. The one is, well, copying, even if a few comments are inserted here and there. TRANSFORMATIVE fan fiction takes place when an author takes the characters and world someone else invented and transforms them. Changes them. Puts them in new situations. Gives them new dialogue. Finds something fresh, original and NEW to say about them.

I love transformative fan fiction. I am a professional writer (who holds copyrights and therefore is kind of touchy on the subject, although mine are for non-fiction work) who got my start in fan fiction. I am very proud of some of my fan fiction.

But that fan fiction was original. I made up all the words. I didn't copy them from anyone else.

That is why some of us are working so hard to get these copyright violations removed. Not because we hate fan fiction but because we want to protect it and to encourage authors to spread their wings and use their own imaginations.

Please, take down anything you copied from the original protected source material before we all regret it.

Mind you, it doesn't actually seem to work. I don't think anyone reads it anymore than they reading posting guidelines.

8/14/2013 . Edited 8/14/2013 #37 Report
The Warty Hogg

Ready for the latest bit of odd logic?

I fully understand your concern, but there are two things you didn't take into account when you wrote these four reviews to me. One, I have a letter - written by the Agents of JK herself - posted on my account page where she give us permission to use her works for our own imagination and two, you have your way of growing into writing your own stories and I have my way. Further more, do your words only remind me of something that happened last year in July when a little group named Critics United tried to force the FFN holders to delete over 200 stories. They succeeded, but these days, more and more of these kind of stories are coming back up on the FFN site, so I guess the FFn holders have accepted the letter I posted them - which is the same I referred to earlier. I fully understand your concern ,but I took my time to check and see if JK is against us using her work and she wasn't, her agent confirmed this in the letter. Also, these four stories don't really hold my interest all that much anymore and while I try to update them and work on them when I can, do I feel my writer's block coming up every time I open the file on my computer. Still, I thank you for taking the time to write me and to send me these reviews, they did not go unheard, I was just sleeping during the time you send them, it was the middle of the night when you did for me. Greetings, Venquine1990

Somehow, I suspect the letter does NOT give her the right to copy the novels word for word and FFN still says 'no go.' I will keep reporting. If I can remember which of the dozens and dozens of these MSTS it is.

8/15/2013 #38 Report
M RogueMudblood

Posted in the thread. Here is copy of what was sent, CC Scholastic and Bloomsbury UK.

Hello there,

I have become aware within the last few months of numerous stories on a website known as fanfiction.net which infringe on J.K. Rowling's copyright by posting large sections of her work verbatim.

One of the individuals who has done this is claiming that you, The Blair Partnership, was contacted and wrote her back a letter stating that she was permitted to post such material. She has apparently provided a copy of this work directly to the administration, and, though it includes her own words of commentary, provided a copy as 'proof' that the act she is engaging in is permissible.

Here is the letter:
Dear (I will not post my true name, I have my privacy),
Many thanks for writing such an inspiring letter to J.K. Rowling.
Your letter has been forwarded on to The Blair Partnership who are J.K. Rowling's agents. As J.K. Rowling's agents we are obliged to say that whilst it is fine for you to make his own Harry Potter inspired stories, any kind of commercial publication of these would not be allowed. (This means seeling them for money!)
You mention in your letter that your stories on www.fanfiction.net have been deleted and we would recommend that you get in touch with the website directly in regards to this, and to find out why.
We wish you all the best with your creative writing and your own stories.
Best wishes,
The Blair Partnership

As a fan of Harry Potter, and a supporter of author's rights, this concerns me, especially with regards to the terms of service of fanfiction.net (http://www.fanfiction.net/tos/), specifically:

6. User Submissions and Conduct
B. You shall be solely responsible for your own User Submissions and the consequences of posting or publishing them. In connection with User Submissions, you affirm, represent, and/or warrant that: you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to use and authorize FanFiction.Net to use all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to any and all User Submissions and have all necessary consents to collect, use and disclose any personally identifiable information contained or displayed in any and all User Submissions to enable inclusion and use of the User Submissions in the manner contemplated by the Website and these Terms of Service.
C. For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your User Submissions. However, by submitting User Submissions to FanFiction.Net, you hereby grant FanFiction.Net a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, display, and perform the User Submissions in connection with the FanFiction.Net Website. You also hereby waive any moral rights you may have in your User Submissions and grant each user of the FanFiction.Net Website a non-exclusive license to access your User Submissions through the Website. You understand and agree, however, that FanFiction.Net may retain, but not display, distribute, or perform, server copies of User Submissions that have been removed or deleted.

I'm certain that as her agent, if you did in fact draft such a missive to Ms Rowling's fans, it would not be with the intent of signing over her moral rights, copyrights and licenses. I am quite concerned that this particular user (and others are certain to soon reproduce this letter in defense of their own postings) may not have advised you the content she was posting, or the terms of her posting them on this particular website.

I've included the links below showing what she has submitted as her own work:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7059801/2/Reading-for- Life

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7188450/1/Reading-the- Myth

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7312113/1/Reading-with -Family

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7589006/1/Reading-with -Strength

You will, of course, be able to recognize the portions of the stories which belong to Ms. Rowling.

I would appreciate your feedback on this issue at your earliest convenience.

Regards,

RogueMudblood

As I told Horus, need a break. Anything else requiring me to live up to the "can be mean" portion of my zodiac, PM me. ;) Otherwise, will be on site to post updates to stories, but am inactive until Sunday.

Cheers!

ETA: Note:

In my prior correspondence with them, they did not feel the need to state to me that they were Rowling's agents. You'll notice that she says the letter was forwarded to Blair, then says that it is being received from Blair and it is signed Blair.

Please ask her what the third sentence in the first paragraph in the fine print below the signature states, as well as what the last line of the signature is. I keep all my important correspondence and can confirm whether she is correct.

8/15/2013 . Edited 8/15/2013 #39 Report
M O Long Johnson

I'd like to share my thoughts on this issue with C1 cases as well. Lately this forum has been very preoccupied with copyright infringement. As a result, I've noticed the copyright infringement cases have become very numerous in the forum and has increased its size, pushing the active/ inactive fanfic plagiarism cases to the wayside. To me this is strange because I feel like this forum was created for that very reason: to help fanfic authors who don't have the means to help themselves, whereas authors who have copyright have the means to help themselves, via money and lawyers, and are more likely to get their work taken down by the site admins a lot sooner with a cease and desist letter.

I don't think it was a mistake to report those cases of copyright infringement, back in early July we were bombarded by so many of these cases that seemed to come out of nowhere but we were all in agreement that they certainly did infringe copyright by copying the song lyrics and plot from many copyright movies, which could have put the site at risk for being sued. However, I think it distracted us from the fanfic plagiarism cases which I think need more of our attention from us.

I'm not against posting C1 cases in TAPIR at all, as the first case I posted here http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/87887575/1/ FFNID-2527007-MzVishous-Romance-of-the-3-Kingdoms- Active-Copyright-Resolved-Account-Deleted#93104257 was clear copyright infringement by copying whole books and posting it on the internet to read for free (which would have hurt the author financially) and the user refused to remove it; action needed to taken. The same goes for the case with the Notebook and currently with the case of that user posting the whole thing of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows." I also think that stories that copy too closely the original script of a book/ movie by copying the "whole package" (quotes, song lyrics, plot, ect) verbatim but replaces characters also warrants a C1 case.

Lately I've had a problem with the amount of MSTs and song fics being posted here just based on the sheer volume of them. I was shocked to learn that TAPIR was taking on MSTs because I see so many of them. Yes definitely they infringe copyright, and most of them do contain 75% and even 100% of the original content, but there are literally tons of MSTs in the Harry Potter, Twilight, and Percy Jackson categories combined and there are pretty much songfics in every fandom. I think those kind of C1 cases would crowd TAPIR since they are so easy to find, which would shift focus away from the fanfic/ C2 cases and putting them on the back burner.

What I believe can be about the MSTs and songfics that infringe copyright is that individual users interested in reporting these can contact the offending user to try to persuade them to change/ remove the copyright infringing material or contact the original authors' publicist/ song artists' record company to inform that their work is being posted here and that they take it from there with what they want to do about it. The admin is more likely to respond to them then our reports of the copyright infringement since they have money and lawyers. I think TAPIR can help users report MSTs/ songfics, as a compromise for not posting them here, by perhaps opening a topic in TAPIR showing an example of what an email to publicists/ record companies looks like and also provide some common contacts of publicists/ record companies. That way something can be done about those types of copyright infringements without having to open multiple cases of MST/ Song fic cases in TAPIR that take away attention from fanfic plagiarism.

Going forward, I'd say our focus should still be on helping fanfic authors who've had their stories plagiarized and/ or discover fanfics that have been plagiarized. However, we should not completely disregard opening copyright infringement cases, especially if it is blatant, the infringing user is unwilling to remove it even after being warned and that it could put the site at risk of being sued/ shut down.

8/15/2013 . Edited 8/15/2013 #40 Report
The Warty Hogg

I have to admit, I like taking down song fics and those commentary stories just because they annoy me so much for their total lack of creativity. Don't know why but such lazy excuse for 'writing' just burns my biscuits.

8/15/2013 #41 Report
M O Long Johnson

I like taking down song fics and those commentary stories just because they annoy me so much for their total lack of creativity.

Believe me when I say the last thing I'll ever write is either an MST or a song fic, I just think those cases would overwhelm this forum based on how prevalent the problem is.

8/15/2013 #42 Report
Izraill

Going forward, I'd say our focus should still be on helping fanfic authors who've had their stories plagiarized and/ or discover fanfics that have been plagiarized. However, we should not completely disregard opening copyright infringement cases, especially if it is blatant, the infringing user is unwilling to remove it even after being warned and that it could put the site at risk of being sued/ shut down.

This. That is supposed to be the focus of the forum, but the CI cases just keep coming in.

As for the copyrighted dialogue. It is a really gray area. It gets troublesome in the case of 'adaptations' of an existing story into another fandom. Even when doing it right, and adapting the work to match the characters, there will be a good amount of copied dialogue; mainly important or memetic conversations from the original work. For example, all of Tyler Durden's lines from Fight Club, since almost every piece of dialogue from him is some kind of meme, and any chacracter playing that role in an adaptation usually ends up quoting everything he said, and I'm not sure how to deal with those special cases.

8/15/2013 #43 Report
The Warty Hogg

I'm OCD. When I'm bored at work I love to go report evil-doers. I'll report whatever is here to report.

8/16/2013 #44 Report
A HorusTheAvenger

Thanks to everyone for taking time to come in and give their views on the matter. Am glad to hear that most are in agreement with original observation that the number of CI only cases swamping forum was derailing the original purpose of TAPIR.

To summarize discussion so far in terms of how it impacts our future cases:

What this means to the Forum mods:

What this means to the C2 mods:

Will need your assistance to go through the recent CI only cases to check whether they fall within the 25/33% rule.

What this means to all members:

We now have a priority order for dealing with cases reported to us:

Long story short: straight plagiarism cases are of higher priority over CI-only at all times.

With regards to MSTs and songfics, we can cover these ones as well, but as some of the others have rightly pointed out, these kind of violations are very rampant and covered by other reprting groups. If we choose to focus on those we would be swamped and be doing nothing else. We can work on the stubborn ones, although would encourage sharing these with the other reporting groups that cover MST/songfic.

If the CI-only cases continue to overshadow the plagiarism cases on the forum, in the future we may have to have create separate forums for CI and Plagiarism cases, so those members interested in working on each type will have their own dedicated area and not interfere with each other.

We will test run with the new policy, see how things progress and adjust accordingly. Suggestions for improvement of process welcome.

Last but not least, have some good news to announce: O Long Johnson has now joined the TAPIR staff as our latest Cold Case Specialist and C2 mod. Welcome, OLJ!

8/17/2013 . Edited 8/17/2013 #45 Report
Maid of Justice

Hm...I have no issue regarding the CI rules. It would be nonsense to report a story that only copied a line from canon. Especially if the line is common in use by normal people in real life.

8/17/2013 #46 Report
Make FFN Sensible Again

The scoreboard is now up for grabs. Anyone who wishes to monitor it may do so.

Glad to have O Long as part of our C2 staff.

8/18/2013 . Edited 8/19/2013 #47 Report
A HorusTheAvenger

The scoreboard thread has now been retired and will be locked and unpinned. The list of deleted accounts has been moved to the now expanded

Hall of Shame and Infamy - List of Deleted Accounts, Notable Cases and Messages From Plagiarists&Co.

The list of deleted accounts now accounts for cases of intentional theft by bolding the ones with malicious intent.

The upgraded Hall of Shame not only caters for the posting of plagiarist/defender responses but will contain case study write ups of our infamous cases in the future.

8/22/2013 #48 Report
Make FFN Sensible Again

Scoreboard Results:

1st: Rogue

2nd: Me (Mach)

3rd: Horus

8/23/2013 #49 Report
A HorusTheAvenger

Small change: The Plagiarism Report Group's full name is now "The Anti-Plagiarism Investigation Reports".

As you may already know, this forum was originally supposed to be a small scale one-man operation hence the historical name of "The Avenger's Plagiarism Investigation Reports". Direction of forum changed when Izraill and the others showed up with ideas and changed our mind. Now that TAPIR has grown beyond that, thought it would be more fair to have a more inclusive name for everyone.

Acronym does not change, we are all still TAPIR, although the alternate capital letters no longer required. Used to alternate it as did not feel it was fair to emphasize "Avenger" portion, but is a pain to type, so we will keep it simple.

8/27/2013 #50 Report
A HorusTheAvenger

To all TAPIR staff:

Yours truly will be on field assignment September 3rd to September 17th. Area is offshore and remote, chances of internet access low. Assume that yours truly will be out of contact most of the time.

What to do with reports that are [Account Deleted]

If reported accounts are deleted during this period , please post the names/link to thread in Hall of Shame as you all have been doing. If you started the thread, please edit the tag. If you cannot, will update the master post and post tags on return. Unfortunately FFN does not allow mods to edit thread titles.

What to do with reports that are [Story Deleted]

Please post on this admin thread with link to the report thread for stories that have been removed, will update the tags on return in 2 weeks. If you started the thread, please edit the title tag. If you cannot, will check this thread and update the post tags on return.

If there are any issues or 'drama', external/internal, Luna will be the acting leader during this period. Please follow her directions and aim for a peaceful resolution wherever possible.

Thanks to all. Should be back in 2 weeks unless complications arise. Will try to update if we find opportunity to log on.

-H.A.

9/2/2013 #51 Report
Make FFN Sensible Again

I'm following a new policy: Each plagiarist has two days to take down the stolen work.

I'm only implementing this policy for me. Everyone else is welcome to adhere to his/her own policy.

9/6/2013 . Edited 12/3/2013 #52 Report
M O Long Johnson

For when Horus returns.

Cases to mark as "Resolved: Story Removed":

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/95468216/1/ Report-FFNID-4828242-Purplevie101-Twilight-Active# 95634173

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/93383096/1/ Report-FFNID-2654730-Princess101855-Harry-Potter-A ctive-Copyrighted#96324751

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/96023893/1/ Report-FFNID-4332630-yanatobosofan-Kuroshitsuji-Ac tive#96133319

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/95553936/1/ Report-FFNID-4723617-anacondasnake-Twilight-Active #95574840

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/92932868/1/ FFNID-2182904-Aislyn-Marie-Animorphs-Active-Copywr ite-Repeat-Offender#95442555

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/93981114/1/ Report-FFNID-4364237-Multiple-Fandoms-Active-Copyr ighted#94071383

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/93684803/1/ Report-FFNID-4581618-ShadyFictionFTW-Percy-Jackson -and-the-Olympians-Active-Copyrighted#94038144

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/93911662/1/ Report-FFNID-1345228-John-SJ-Toongamer-Cartoon-X-O vers-inactive-copyright#94037502

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/93554700/1/ Report-FFNID-2837094-maraudergirl15-Multiple-Fando ms-Active-Copyrighted#94034441

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/94000154/1/ Report-FFNID-1909445-kikyokyoyahibari-Harry-Potter -active-copyright#94034083

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/92656275/1/ Report-FFNID-4901171-Danny-Shells-Outsiders-Active -Copyrighted#94029459

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/93822986/1/ Report-FFNID-2608525-kissedbynight-Night-World-act ive-copyright#93885385

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/93366884/1/ FFNID-4964412-AirHawk19-Jem-Active#93808412

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/93738296/1/ Report-FFNID-1858399-blueeyedgirl07-Inuyasha-activ e-copyright#93748162

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/92222420/1/ Report-FFNID-842353-Ginkyofu13-multifandom-active- copyright#92264140

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/89749598/2/ FFNID-4801876-1231231234-Tiny-Toon-Adventures-Acti ve-Case-Open#90839667

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/85755583/1/ Report-FFNID-2569371-chosen-dark-king-Multiple-Fan doms-Inactive#96789332

Accounts Banned:

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/95554078/1/ FFNID-4812424-Damon-D-salvatore-S-1-5-Harry-Potter -Active-Copyright#96334276

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/90566684/1/ FFNID-3092546-Cintaro17-Rocky-Horror-Repeat-Offend er#93164586

9/10/2013 . Edited 9/18/2013 #53 Report
M RogueMudblood

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/94000154/1/ Report-FFNID-1909445-kikyokyoyahibari-Harry-Potter -active-copyright#94034083 is still and active case. Author deleted and reposted the story.

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/93822986/1/ Report-FFNID-2608525-kissedbynight-Night-World-act ive-copyright#93885385 is still open - story has not been edited or deleted. 22 chapters composed largely of copyrighted song lyrics

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/90566684/1/ FFNID-3092546-Cintaro17-Rocky-Horror-Repeat-Offend er#93164586 was actually banned (profile link is further down in the posts)

9/10/2013 . Edited 9/10/2013 #54 Report
M RogueMudblood

Horus - please modify title: http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/85755583/1/ Report-FFNID-2569371-chosen-dark-king-Multiple-Fan doms-Inactive to reflect account is now active. :D

9/12/2013 #55 Report
A HorusTheAvenger

Back. Good job to everyone for keeping the place running, and Luna for stepping in as temp admin during absence. Did not get time to look over all the new cases and welcome any newcomers yet.

As you may have noticed from her announcement in the chat thread, Rogue is stepping down as forum mod as her commitments to AFF will be taking up more of her time. Thanks must go to her for her efforts, they are definitely appreciated. Am sure we'll still be working with her on AFF/FFN plagiarism cases in time to come.

Will catch up with the todo list once time permits.

-H.A.

9/17/2013 #56 Report
M O Long Johnson

Horus, something I'd like to inquire about are the recent cases we've gotten while you were away.

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/96257828/1/ Plagiarist-FFN-ID-3409767-Miss-Faber-active-NSFW#9 6808565

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/96764169/1/ FFNID-863717-peytona05-Hawaii-Five-O-Active-Hostil e#96784653

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/95987324/1% 20%20%20%20%20%20%20/Report-FFNID-1249646-songbird 13%2013-%20Har%20ry-%20Pot%20ter%20-ac%20tive-Reso lved-%20Made-C%20omplia%20nt#962%2001330

This is where it wasn't plagiarism copied word for word but the plots were similar enough to the point where the original authors felt their story was being plagiarized that way.

I don't know what this forum's policy is on those types of cases. I've thought about this and have formed the opinion that these are not cases of plagiarism since it's not uncommon for authors to be influenced by other authors; typically plagiarism is when actual words/ sentences have been copied from the earlier works of others that the thieves are taking credit for. I also find cases like these would be hard to report to the admins (since verbatim plagiarism is a lot easier to prove to the admins, who are already sketchy enough as to when they'll do something) and that there isn't much we can do about these cases anyway.

9/18/2013 . Edited 9/18/2013 #57 Report
A HorusTheAvenger

Thank you for bring those to attention.

Going to repost what was said in the peytona case here as it is relevant to all other similar cases:

Two authors writing stories with identical ideas is not plagiarism. If one is familiar with human behaviorial studies, will know that humans have very predictable thought patterns and tend to come to the exact same ideas or conclusions independently based on identical stimuli and conditions presented.

Also, an author reading a story and wanting to write a similar story is not plagiarism. Copycatting? Maybe, depending on originality of details. But it is different from plagiarism as long as the author writes it in their own words.

While it is not unknown for an author to take another author's story and rewrite it in their own words, chapter by chapter, for it to count as actionable plagiarism would require proof of any of the conditions below:

#3. FIND - REPLACE

Changing key words and phrases but retaining the essential content of the source

#4. (Story being a) REMIX

Paraphrases from multiple sources, made to fit together

#7. MASHUP

Mixes copied material from multiple sources

Source: plagiarism

The keyword is proving the copying. If there is doubt that it really was a copy, then the accused should get the benefit of doubt. It is better to let a borderline case go than to falsely accuse someone of plagiarism.

9/18/2013 #58 Report
M O Long Johnson

When you get the chance Horus these one can be marked as Resolved: Stories deleted

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/88554476/1/ FFNID-1942211-Rosavella-C-Twilight-Inactive#969768 43

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/95756684/1/ FFNID-4499679-arcee-jackson-Percy-Jackson-and-The- Olympians-Active-Copyright#97499856

Would also like your opinion on this one Horus as to whether these still violate copyright:

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/93087519/1/ Report-FFNID-3790710-Elfera-Animorphs-Active-Copyr ight-Hostile#96365362

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/91608631/1/ FFNID-1539080-BuddyJack-active-copyright-Defiant#9 6341784

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/92170855/1/ Report-FFNID-1819136-Starzilla-multifandom-active- copyright#96341267

9/28/2013 #59 Report
Maid of Justice

I'll be out of FFN for the next few months due to some mishaps. For the meanwhile, I'll be on Wattpad.

Link: ah (remove a space somewhere)

Until I can get a way to use FFN, I have to well, be gone. If you want to know more details, feel free to ask Luna.

It was fun working with you all.

10/3/2013 #60 Report
178 found: « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »
Reply  Follow Follow

Desktop Mode . Twitter . Help . Sign Up . Cookies . Privacy . Terms of Service