Just In
Community
Forum
V
More
Forums » T w i l i g h t d o m »
The Host Discussion
A MarryMeTopaz

Someone requested a topic on the host... so here it is!

8/3/2008 #1 Report
M Jarc is teh win 8D

It was requested by redfeatherz.

Not that it matters much. XD

8/3/2008 #2 Report
M prettypinkbookworm

So...*ahem* the host...

who wants to get the ball rolling?

8/5/2008 #3 Report
redfeatherz

Yay! ^^ Alright, I just re-read it, and wanted to chat about it...

Here's something for ya: Ian or Jared?

8/5/2008 #4 Report
M Euonym

ian. without even a moment's hesitation. jared's one of my least favorite characters ever

8/5/2008 #5 Report
M prettypinkbookworm

Ian. He was so adorable.

8/5/2008 #6 Report
M prettypinkbookworm

ooh, random comment: it kind of ticks me off that stephenie meyer's website has practically no information on the host except for some idiotic playlist which I could care less about. Like 'oh, look I have so much more successful books, why should I bother with answering some basic details to my other novel"

8/5/2008 #7 Report
Loz'93

Is The Host worth reading? I have it, but after nine pages I couldn't be bothered reading it anymore. It didn't captivate me. Lol.

8/6/2008 #8 Report
redfeatherz

Personally, I thought it was good. It's hard to get in to it, and there's a few slow parts, but I liked it.

IAN all the way! Jared was a J***! Ian reminded me of Mike from Twilight. ^^

8/6/2008 . Edited 8/6/2008 #9 Report
M Euonym

honestly, i like the host a lot more than i like any of the twilight books. so yeah, i think it's worth reading.

8/6/2008 . Edited 8/6/2008 #10 Report
M prettypinkbookworm

I liked it, but it kept reminding me of some other book...if only I could remember what. More the sci fi aspect of it though.

You have to sort of warm up to it, I think. It takes a couple chapters.

8/6/2008 #11 Report
FlamingFlie

Was it any good? Still must read it.

8/9/2008 #12 Report
Maestra Girl

Yep. Not my favorite, but not bad.

I always did have one thing wrong with the host: her uncle was this big conspiracy theorist, right? And then later on we see him portrayed as a completely rational man with unusually good judgement. Those two things just didn't seem to click together for me.

8/11/2008 #13 Report
redfeatherz

Yeah, that was a little weird. I didn't like her nickname, either. 'Wanda' makes me think of some girlie, somewhat crabby person, a little bit older, like 50. Wanderer was much more than that. Whenever I read 'Wanda' I'd have to growl at it!

8/12/2008 #14 Report
AlannaHasBombtasticAwesomeness

i was really confused at the beginning. it was hard for me to get into. but after that i really liked it. and her website doesn't have any thing in it. but whatever.

8/12/2008 #15 Report
raging-vampires

The Host was awesome! I'm so stoked theres a discussion about it now. But I don't think this can be one of those jacob or edward kind of things with ian and jared because this one is not a love triangle... well not exactly. Wanda loves Ian. Melanie loves Jared.

If its a debate about which one is the more favorable character... I definitely say Jared. I just love how nothing can separate him and Mel. She was inhabited by an alien... and they still found each other.

Stephenie Meyer is a wiz with these true love stories.

8/12/2008 #16 Report
AlannaHasBombtasticAwesomeness

i agree. jared is way better.

8/13/2008 #17 Report
M Euonym

ooh, i'm going to have to disagree. jared possesses selective caring, and that's a characteristic in anybody that disgusts me. he really only cares about mel, jaime a little, but he's debatable. everyone else, even those he would consider friends, he's willing to sacrifice for his or mel's survival. he takes the darwinian survival of the fittest way too far, and you just can't pick and choose who you care for and how much you care for them. if you decide someone is your friend, then you love them, and you don't accept the opportunity to sacrifice them. jared does. and so i hate him.

8/13/2008 #18 Report
raging-vampires

Sorry but "selective caring" sounds a lot like love to me. I mean the love of his life that he thought he had lost forever came back to him controlled by an alien. Of coarse he'd try anything to get Mel back, wouldn't you? I think that the whole situation totally justifies Jared's mission to have Melanie back.

Also Jared obviously wouldn't sacrifice everyones life to keep him and Mel safe. When they got pulled over on the side of the road by that seeker, Jared told her they had to kill themselves to keep the others safe and undiscovered... especially Jamie.

I think putting your loved ones infront of everthing else comes along with being in love. You cant help it, it just comes naturally.

8/14/2008 . Edited 8/14/2008 #19 Report
M Euonym

i think you've got an overly melodramatic sense of what romantic is. willing to let someone you consider a friend die so that the person you love can be there isn't romantic; it's selfish. i don't think it's right to claim that you love someone more than someone else you love. there's no such thing as loving someone more or less than someone else. love is love, and it can't be allocated. there are just different kinds of love. mel and jared shared the romantic type. so what? wanda and jared had friendship love. you shouldn't be able to say, "look, i do love you, just not enough. go jump off a cliff somewhere so that this other person i love can be here. i won't mind if you die, honest, just if i can have her". it's selfish, it's wrong, and it means that jared doesn't truly understand what it means to love somebody in friendship.

8/14/2008 #20 Report
M Euonym

hmm... i feel like this is a good time to point out that i'm not attacking you or anything, honey. sometimes it comes across like i'm a b*** or whatever, but honestly i'm just stating my opinion.

8/14/2008 #21 Report
raging-vampires

I have to disagree. I believe that there are different forms of love. And some loves you put above all others.

8/14/2008 #22 Report
M Euonym

i just think that's really really selfish. i'd never be able to sacrifice a friend for a lover. it doesn't matter how connected you are, you have no right to put someone else's life above another's. lives can't be ranked like that.

8/15/2008 #23 Report
raging-vampires

With love I don't think you can help caring about that person more then others, and you shouldn't have to either. Actually... its pretty much a given.

And besides, Jared absolutely has the right to put Mel's life above Wandas. Because Wanda or any of the aliens for that matter have no right to be there in the first place. And theres really nothing in the book implying that Jared is willing to sacrifice their friends lives for him and Mel. Except for Wanda, which as i said is justified.

And its not like Jared was begging for Wanda to kill herself. He had a hard time dealing with Wandas plan to leave Mel's body because Wanda was his friend too. But of coarse it was a given that Jared should want Melanie back. No one blamed him for wanting that because they understood the situation.

8/15/2008 #24 Report
raging-vampires

'

8/15/2008 . Edited 8/15/2008 #25 Report
M Topaz in the Meadow

I liked the book. Can't remember much about it, which means I'll have to go back and reread it. Oh well.

10/18/2008 #26 Report
Muff'Nbutter

you're lucky to have the priveledge of rereading it topaz... right after i finished it i leant it to my mom to read... and she still hasnt done it.... and i handed it over to her in may... and she hast even been in town for me to just take it from her since she hasnt read it... and ive been wanting to go over it again soooooo badly!!!!! lol

12/4/2008 #27 Report
Aishwarya Swan-Cullen

im reading this for reviews --- i really want to read it.

Apparently shes dojng a series .... THE HOST THE SEEKER THE SOUL

should be a blockbuster...

12/5/2008 #28 Report
Muff'Nbutter

a review then: it's a really good book. I'd have to say that it's better written than the Twilight series, and it captured my attention more; more intrigue, more history, and more in depth characters. Though I could never say that I liek thebook better... It has no Jacob BLack hahaha

and really? a series??? that makes me sad. i liked the way it ended, and dont think there'd be a good way to continue it naturally; it would be like forcing action into a chickflic... it wont work :(

12/5/2008 #29 Report
Aishwarya Swan-Cullen

she's still unsure. Just in case, ready your pitchforks and torches!!

12/5/2008 #30 Report
58 found: Page 1 2 Next »
Reply  Follow Follow

Desktop Mode . Twitter . Help . Sign Up . Cookies . Privacy . Terms of Service